ADBF/JAIL Changes Made Under New Ownership

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Re: ADBF/JAIL Changes Made Under New Ownership

Unread post by NS3322 »

Chip wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:04 am
David Collins wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:00 am
Stupid question since I don’t know much about the ADBF: will the Lapeer industrial fold? I still need to chase them
Why would they fold as long as they have an active customer on the line? I would be more worried about CHS
Amen. Why does everyone keep saying LIRX has no customers? Delta Faucet gets cars usually every Wednesday.

Also, I posted an updated customer list literally last month...
Last edited by NS3322 on Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I did not see where anyone said LI does not have any customers and railroads abandon lines all the time even with customers so I would respond to David that it will be open for the foreseeable future but do not wait too long to rail fan it.

Also, I'm told that even though they are scheduled to run every Wednesday there are times they do not.
NS3322 wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:18 am
Chip wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:04 am
David Collins wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:00 am
Stupid question since I don’t know much about the ADBF: will the Lapeer industrial fold? I still need to chase them
Why would they fold as long as they have an active customer on the line? I would be more worried about CHS
Amen. Why does everyone keep saying LIRX has no customers? Delta Faucet gets cars every Wednesday.

Also, I posted an updated customer list literally last month...
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

AARR wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:39 am
I did not see where anyone said LI does not have any customers and railroads abandon lines all the time even with customers so I would respond to David that it will be open for the foreseeable future but do not wait too long to rail fan it.
It has been posted in other threads and on Facebook several times. I guess I am just tired of the false information.

Yes, it is not a guarantee that they run every Wednesday. Trust me, I know, I actually drove up last May on a Wednesday and was extremely disappointed to find nobody there...
rail_watcher wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:49 am
Do you know more about the history of these two new Locomotives? I can't seem to find anything on DLCX 3127. Also, any idea on a time frame for this to all take place? Side note, it'll be nice to have all of the GP9's back here in Adrian!
SD40M-2: ADBF 821, ex-DLCX 3127, exx-CEFX 3127 (Rebuilt SD40-2), exxx-SP 7458 (SD45R), nee-SP 8821 (SD45). Order # 7887. Built 08/1966. Serial: 32012. Frame: 7887-22.

GP40-2 is unknown at this time...

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

NS3322 wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:13 am
GP40-2 is unknown at this time...
I’m willing to say that the GP40-2 is probably going to be Ex NS considering the major General Purpose purge they have made over the last few years…
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

Over a 1000 built for many railroads. You may be right, but for now, that's going really far out on the limb.
I'm wondering why they would get a 6 axle and a 4 axle.
Price must have been right.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

And it appears by adding a 6-axle they will reduce the roster from 3 to 2 engines
DaveO wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:42 am
Over a 1000 built for many railroads. You may be right, but for now, that's going really far out on the limb.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

AARR wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:49 am
And it appears by adding a 6-axle they will reduce the roster from 3 to 2 engines
DaveO wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:42 am
Just a note, they are supposedly keeping 1760 in Mason as a backup once the new power arrives.
It is currently OOS with three bad axles.

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

I’m thinking blue and orange not black and white.

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

LansingRailFan wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:28 pm
Blue and orange, you mean blue and yellow? Unless we’re talking about that railroad called savage or whatever.
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

David Collins wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:39 pm
LansingRailFan wrote:
Blue and orange, you mean blue and yellow? Unless we’re talking about that railroad called savage or whatever.
Hop to it buddy. Ex-DT&I 410 / ex-GTW 6410

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thank you LRF. It will be nice to see an old DT&I unit back in MI.
LansingRailFan wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:12 pm
David Collins wrote:
LansingRailFan wrote:

1TrackMind
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 1TrackMind »

Everybody knows you need six axles to pull 12 car trains. Will be fun getting into some customers with that.

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:04 pm
Thank you LRF. It will be nice to see an old DT&I unit back in MI.
LansingRailFan wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:12 pm
David Collins wrote:

It’ll be very cool AARR. I’ll miss my GP-9s but this will suffice.

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

DT&I heritage unit, Maybe ?

kd_1014
Mike

Unread post by kd_1014 »

1TrackMind wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:50 pm
Everybody knows you need six axles to pull 12 car trains. Will be fun getting into some customers with that.
Common power on the Jackson - Lansing line back in the CR days were SD40s and SD50s, obviously the track condition might be different now.

rail_watcher
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rail_watcher »

I know ADBF has painted their own locomotives in the past, at their Adrian locomotive shop. Any idea is ADBF will be painting these two new units themselves or will they have someone else paint them prior to their arrival? If they paint their own, do you think they'd do it in Mason this time or send them to Adrian first for paint?

Also, I know ADBF 836 (DCON locomotive) is in a different scheme than the GP9's are.. Do you think these two new units will be in the same scheme as the GP9's or do you think new ownership will put their own new stamp on the designs? Not sure how the NYC Lightning Stripe themed scheme would look on a low hood unit.

MiddleMI
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiddleMI »

Random question about their JAIL services, but they've said forever on the website that they offer cross docking, transloading & team tracks. Where are any of these services located along the line, particularly the cross docking & team tracks? Do they mean they provide cross docking services indirectly? I'm confused.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

MiddleMI wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:38 am
Random question about their JAIL services, but they've said forever on the website that they offer cross docking, transloading & team tracks. Where are any of these services located along the line, particularly the cross docking & team tracks? Do they mean they provide cross docking services indirectly? I'm confused.
Transloading & team tracks are primarily in Mason. By the enginehouse and Michigan Packaging.

Manistique
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Manistique »

MiddleMI wrote:
About 17 years ago the A&B built a "cross dock" in Adrian just west of the engine house. It was used to load GM truck fuel tanks from the plastic company (called Solvay back then) at the far west end of the line onto hicube boxcars for shipping to the GM truck assembly plant in Texas, I think. A&B did this loading of the boxcars and then took the loaded cars to the NS interchange, which back then was a Gulf Street by the NS diamond. This lasted a few months then GM went on strike or something and it never started up again. Getting the hicube boxcars was a problem, as was the railroads involved getting the cars to the plant in time. I think this building they built as a cross dock is still standing. I don't think it has ever been used since but the guy scrapping the SD60's may have been using it for something as I think the locomotives were on this track. So maybe this is what the website is referring too. I don't know of any other cross docks on any other of their lines. As to "team tracks," there are a few but may not be what one imagines a team track to look like.

MiddleMI
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiddleMI »

NS3322 wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:54 am
MiddleMI wrote:
Transloading & team tracks are primarily in Mason. By the enginehouse and Michigan Packaging.
I imagine the team track/transload is the one you can see at Michigan Packaging; but what is done near the enginehouse? Doesn't look like there is any properties with direct truck access to the line that are used as such, accept maybe the enginehouse, itself.

It seems like my gut was right that there are most aspirational services than some kind of developed infrastructure. And it also strikes me that because of the very nature of rail, that saying they offer cross-docking is kind of redundant. A railyard, itself, is literally cross-docking.