ADBF/JAIL Changes Made Under New Ownership

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: ADBF/JAIL Changes Made Under New Ownership

Unread post by AARR »

IIRC the small yard between the scrap yard and ex-Cold Storage buildings was the original transload location for Vesco before Vesco's transload was moved to the mainline next to Vesco's facility and fenced in.
NS3322 wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:34 am
ConrailDetr​oit wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:22 pm
If relevant or related, The Railmark Transload on the Detroit Connecting RR has what appears to be a record amount of tanks.
Oh, so the Railmark Transload is active again? Interesting...
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

rail_watcher
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rail_watcher »

Now that ADBF 821 is in Mason, does anyone have any rough ideas how long before it enters service? Asking only because I have no idea how long it takes to paint a locomotive and if there is any other servicing that has to be done to it.

Is there any updates on when DLCX 6410 will arrive?

rail_watcher
Railroadfan...fan

According to a post on a Facebook group that I follow, NS 120 will have DLCX 6410 in tow to Detroit, ultimately destined for the JAIL, either tomorrow or Saturday.

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

rail_watcher wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:51 pm
According to a post on a Facebook group that I follow, NS 120 will have DLCX 6410 in tow to Detroit, ultimately destined for the JAIL, either tomorrow or Saturday.
Does 120 go through Elkhart? If it does I’ll probably see it
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

rail_watcher
Railroadfan...fan

David Collins wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:58 pm
rail_watcher wrote:
I do not know the route of NS 120 or if it goes through Elkhart, IN.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

rail_watcher wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:21 am
David Collins wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:58 pm
rail_watcher wrote:
I do not know the route of NS 120 or if it goes through Elkhart, IN.
https://railroadfan.com/wiki/index.php/ ... -_Manifest

KenB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KenB »

DCLX 6410 was on NS B-19 going to Wayne, Mich today (April 02, 2022). Should be in Jackson Sun or Mon.

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

rail_watcher wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:44 pm
Now that ADBF 821 is in Mason, does anyone have any rough ideas how long before it enters service? Asking only because I have no idea how long it takes to paint a locomotive and if there is any other servicing that has to be done to it.

Is there any updates on when DLCX 6410 will arrive?
Mechanical work is complete. They are working on painting it now in the new scheme for the railroad.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

New paint scheme is interesting colors. Wonder what the logo will be like.

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

chapmaja wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:31 pm
Gotta rebrand the entire railroad. Imagine a business with an anti-customer mentality and transforming it into “customer-focused, solutions -based” railroad. You can’t just change your mentality and still call yourself “The Old Road.”

An old adage is that paint doesn’t equal profits. But at least with these two units, it’ll be quite the statement to see the new company name/logo emblazoned on these two units and the marketing that goes along with it.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

LansingRailFan wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:25 pm
chapmaja wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:31 pm
Gotta rebrand the entire railroad. Imagine a business with an anti-customer mentality and transforming it into “customer-focused, solutions -based” railroad. You can’t just change your mentality and still call yourself “The Old Road.”

An old adage is that paint doesn’t equal profits. But at least with these two units, it’ll be quite the statement to see the new company name/logo emblazoned on these two units and the marketing that goes along with it.
This post then brings up the question, what customers does JAIL serve currently as well as what potential customers are there on the line they don't serve? Does the steel coil place still get service? They used to be a huge customer back in the late 1990's when trucks would then run the steel to the GM plant south of Grand Rapids. Sadly that plant, and many others like it are long gone.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

chapmaja wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:48 pm
This post then brings up the question, what customers does JAIL serve currently as well as what potential customers are there on the line they don't serve? Does the steel coil place still get service? They used to be a huge customer back in the late 1990's when trucks would then run the steel to the GM plant south of Grand Rapids. Sadly that plant, and many others like it are long gone.
From Wiki https://railroadfan.com/wiki/index.php/ ... g_Railroad
I updated a few of the customer Notes
Customer Location Company Description Type of Railcar Notes
Greif/Michigan Packaging Mason Industrial Packaging Boxcars (2nd largest customer)
Shafer Redi-Mix Mason Concrete Supplier It's questionable if they are a current customer but if they were it would be hoppers of limestone
JAIL Transload Facility Mason Bulk Liquid Transload Tank Cars On Shafer Redi-Mix spur and by the engine house.
Eaton Farm Bureau Mason Fertilizer Tank Cars/Covered Hoppers
Americhem Mason Chemical Products Tank Cars Unloaded in front of the engine house.
Regional Steel Distribution Center (RSDC) Holt Steel Distributor Steel Coil Cars (largest customer)
Harris Rebar Lansing Rebar Fabricator Bulkhead Flatcars
Reid Machinery Lansing Machinery Moving, Storage and Scrap Flatcar & Gondolas Infrequent customer.
Friedland Industries Lansing Metal Recycling Gondolas On the Old Town Spur.
Padnos Lansing Scrapyard Gondolas (3rd largest customer)
Alro Steel Lansing Steel Distributor Flatcars
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

The elevator in Mason may be getting fertilizer tanks ( I'm not sure) but there have not been any covered hoppers in a very long time. I suspect that business went during the NS years.

Not sure how you count it as a customer, but JAIL also does car storage at the yards in Lansing.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

AARR wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:08 pm
Shafer Redi-Mix Mason Concrete Supplier It's questionable if they are a current customer but if they were it would be hoppers of limestone
Saw photos of a 2-bay covered hopper there last year. Definitely still a customer, but infrequent.
chapmaja wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:48 pm
...as what potential customers are there on the line they don't serve?
Kent Feeds and Capital Steel & Wire in Mason at one time used rail.

Eaton Farm Bureau in Leslie.
Dan Cluley wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:40 pm
The elevator in Mason may be getting fertilizer tanks ( I'm not sure) but there have not been any covered hoppers in a very long time. I suspect that business went during the NS years.

Not sure how you count it as a customer, but JAIL also does car storage at the yards in Lansing.
I think Eaton Farm Bureau got feed at one time early on...

Car storage doesn't usually count as a customer for the Wiki lists.
Last edited by NS3322 on Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

1TrackMind wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:54 am
AARR wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:41 am
Regarding the CS, why don't they receive 25 car blocks of grain emptys from CN, shuttle them through the elevator, then deliver them back to the interchange with CN? It would take about a day and based on the size of the elevator they could probably cycle quite a few 25 car blocks throughout the year.
Elevator doesn't want service plus it would be a real pain to handle 25 cars given the track arrangement and the motive power.
It's my understanding they quit shipping on the CHS because CN pissed them off. Apparently they weren't doing enough business to justify it according to CN. When did the CHS last have a freight movement?

On a side note... has there been any talk of expanding service in Lapeer? I hear they want to rehab the bridge south of Delta faucet to service someone down that way. There's a mile or two of track through some industrial area south of Delta Faucet on the Lapeer Industrial right?

Anything new with their railroad in Detroit?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

MQT1223 wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:07 pm
1TrackMind wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:54 am
AARR wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:41 am
Regarding the CS, why don't they receive 25 car blocks of grain emptys from CN, shuttle them through the elevator, then deliver them back to the interchange with CN? It would take about a day and based on the size of the elevator they could probably cycle quite a few 25 car blocks throughout the year.
Elevator doesn't want service plus it would be a real pain to handle 25 cars given the track arrangement and the motive power.
It's my understanding they quit shipping on the CHS because CN pissed them off. Apparently they weren't doing enough business to justify it according to CN. When did the CHS last have a freight movement?
I remember reading somewhere that the elevator last shipped between 2005 and 2007...
MQT1223 wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:07 pm
On a side note... has there been any talk of expanding service in Lapeer? I hear they want to rehab the bridge south of Delta faucet to service someone down that way. There's a mile or two of track through some industrial area south of Delta Faucet on the Lapeer Industrial right?
Less than a mile. I am guessing they would like to serve ITW Tacc (formerly Foam Seal) which last used rail in 2006 according to Google Earth archival aerials. The only other industry with a spur is the warehouse (former Union Camp building) across from the Lapeer Soccer Fields. From Google Streetview it looks like ITW Tacc still has its rail unloading equipment:
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0378091 ... 384!8i8192

This thread is super helpful about the former customers south of the bridge on the Lapeer Industrial:
viewtopic.php?p=437954#p437954

Here is the 2005 aerial showing tank cars at the ITW Tacc/former Foam Seal plant:
tank.JPG
Last edited by NS3322 on Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:15 am, edited 3 times in total.

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

Based on Google aerials it looks like Kent Feeds in Mason removed their track.

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

JAIL:

- Someone transloads tankcars by Shafer Redi-Mix.

- Mason elevator downtown has been sold and will be dismantled. A farmer bought it and is moving it to his property.

- Leslie elevator has not shipped or received in years.

- There are multiple customers transloading in downtown Mason or on the tracks by the engine house.

- RSDC is definitely the top customer with Greif/Michigan Packaging #2. One of the transload customers might be a new number three at the end of 2022 over Padnos, but who knows.

Detroit: There are three customers, two of which are up on carloads YOY.

LIRR: Would have to be a significant customer to rebuild that bridge.

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

LansingRailFan wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:51 am

- Mason elevator downtown has been sold and will be dismantled. A farmer bought it and is moving it to his property.
What part of it is the farmer moving? I can't believe all the structures will be moved to one guy's farm.

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Steve B wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:10 pm
LansingRailFan wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:51 am

What part of it is the farmer moving? I can't believe all the structures will be moved to one guy's farm.
I was down there sometime in the last month. I asked one of the guys working there if they were gonna be shipping or by rail and that’s when he told me it had been sold. Maybe they will keep the feed store open? Idk