ADBF/JAIL Changes Made Under New Ownership

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: ADBF/JAIL Changes Made Under New Ownership

Unread post by SD80MAC »

GrandTrunkFan wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:42 am
Couple updates I didn't see listed:

The demo work on the downtown Mason elevator is almost complete. There is another elevator facility in Mason north of downtown adjacent to the tracks but I don't think it was ever rail served and that one is still standing. Also Eaton Farm Bureau has been bought up by Caledonia Farmers Elevator Co and signage has been changed at the feed store in Mason, along with the elevators in Leslie and Charlotte at the end of the CHS. Caledonia Farmers Elevator used to be pretty rail friendly on the CSX in Lake Odessa but haven't seen if they've gotten any cars at all the last decade since I moved to the Jackson area. Maybe the new owners can woo them back....

Someone mentioned Kent Feeds in Mason south of town. The spur has been completely torn up for a couple years. I heard at one point they are very anti rail but don't know the story

Also noticed last night, the old Conrail tool storage boxcar at the south end of Saginaw yard was gone. Not sure if it was moved or scrapped.
Caledonia Farmer's gets potash and tanks pretty frequently at their new spur between Lake Odessa and Woodbury. I haven't seen any cars go to the elevator in Lake O proper in close to 10 years now.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GrandTrunkFan »

Caledonia Farmer's gets potash and tanks pretty frequently at their new spur between Lake Odessa and Woodbury. I haven't seen any cars go to the elevator in Lake O proper in close to 10 years now.
I figured but threw that out there anyway. I'm also assuming they're done with the cotton seed transload there in downtown too? Always thought that was an interesting arrangement
Nick

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

GrandTrunkFan wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:42 pm

I figured but threw that out there anyway. I'm also assuming they're done with the cotton seed transload there in downtown too? Always thought that was an interesting arrangement
They upgraded the unloading structure, used it about 2 more times and now it sits idle. I bet it hasn't been used since about 2015. Zeeland Farm Service was arranging the trucking from the transload for them for a while or more likely ZFS was handling the entire transaction and just leasing the transload space from CFE Lake O for rail access. I'm guessing ZFS cut out the middleman and handles it themselves somewhere else now.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

SD80MAC wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:12 am
rail_watcher wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:53 pm
With both new to JAIL locomotives on the property and prepping for service, has there been any more insight on which of the three (or all of them) GP9's are going back down to ADBF? Any ideas when they might be sent back?
Supposedly 1 or 2 GP9s will be kept on the JAIL as extra/back up power. I would guess they will send a GP9 to Lapeer to replace the GE switcher they have there. Sounds like all of the GE switchers will be going bye bye.
They only have 3 GE's now: CHS 3, DCON 4, and LIRX 5. At peak I think they had 5 including the LIRX 25 tonner. DCON 4 has been only used as a backup for 836 for years now...I believe it is also one of the oldest operating diesel locomotives in the state being built in 1942.

Will anything replace CHS 44 Tonner #3 in Charlotte?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Here is an update about the cottonseed unloading. Go down the thread a bit. http://railroadfan.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=18699
Jetlink wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:14 pm
GrandTrunkFan wrote:
They upgraded the unloading structure, used it about 2 more times and now it sits idle. I bet it hasn't been used since about 2015. Zeeland Farm Service was arranging the trucking from the transload for them for a while or more likely ZFS was handling the entire transaction and just leasing the transload space from CFE Lake O for rail access. I'm guessing ZFS cut out the middleman and handles it themselves somewhere else now.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

Jetlink wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:14 pm
GrandTrunkFan wrote:

I see cottonseed cars on CSX go to the GLC. Idk where they go from there.

ZFS is the parent company of Transportation Holdings Co. That owns ADBF, maybe something will pop up on their own rails someday.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Cadillac, Wyoming Warehouse or some name like that.
LansingRailFan wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:59 am
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

AARR wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:09 am
LansingRailFan wrote:
ZFS is the owner of ADBF/JAIL which is pretty amazing considering I can remember when Zeeland Farm Services was nothing more than local company with a grain elevator and a handful of trucks.

These cars are produced by National Steel Car and Curry Rail Services for cottonseed transportation
Attachments
FFE76E37-068E-4F95-BFCC-2D5BD0500A67.jpeg

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

GR H & C wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:33 am
AARR wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:09 am
LansingRailFan wrote:
ZFS is the owner of ADBF/JAIL which is pretty amazing considering I can remember when Zeeland Farm Services was nothing more than local company with a grain elevator and a handful of trucks.

Agree they started hauling grain for us back in the 80’s. They were a small company with a fleet of 4 trucks at that time. They have been great for the local agricultural economy. Creating local markets and being an end user/terminal elevator saves farmers a great deal in trucking and transportation costs to get commodities to market.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

9234DDD8-10DA-4FCC-AB50-A2EF4C5E69ED.jpeg
37953498-19FC-4D2F-9587-F36B7039A12D.jpeg
37953498-19FC-4D2F-9587-F36B7039A12D.jpeg
ADBF was out of the barn today.

1TrackMind
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 1TrackMind »

Not a fan

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

[quote=LansingRailFan

LansingRailFan you just gave everybody candy now the whole class likes you.

I like the new paint scheme.
Last edited by GRHC on Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rail_watcher
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rail_watcher »

LansingRailFan wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:37 pm
9234DDD8-10DA-4FCC-AB50-A2EF4C5E69ED.jpeg

37953498-19FC-4D2F-9587-F36B7039A12D.jpeg37953498-19FC-4D2F-9587-F36B7039A12D.jpeg

Definitely a big change from the old scheme, but she's a beauty! I love it.

joeyuboats
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by joeyuboats »

Looks pretty good, for some reason reminds me of the older CSX paint scheme, the way the paint is angled across the cab. Probably easier to paint than the old lightning stripe scheme,and should be more visible to see in the dark.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

joeyuboats wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 11:14 am
Looks pretty good, for some reason reminds me of the older CSX paint scheme, the way the paint is angled across the cab.
The hockey stick?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

PerRock
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PerRock »

J T wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 6:29 am
joeyuboats wrote:
Looks pretty good, for some reason reminds me of the older CSX paint scheme, the way the paint is angled across the cab.
The hockey stick?
CSX YN2.
Given the choice; I fly Amtrak.
American Trainz Group

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

PerRock wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 8:15 am
J T wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 6:29 am
joeyuboats wrote:
The hockey stick?
CSX YN2.
Correct. The hockey stick.
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

The first revenue run of the 821 was an overnight Mason-Lansing trip on June 7-8 2022.
IMGP4044.JPG

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

Dan Cluley wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:57 am
The first revenue run of the 821 was an overnight Mason-Lansing trip on June 7-8 2022.
Great photo. Thank you for posting.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Dan Cluley wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:57 am
You must have been standing right next to Pete Mayor. :)