ADBF/JAIL Changes Made Under New Ownership

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Re: ADBF/JAIL Changes Made Under New Ownership

Unread post by NS3322 »

rail_watcher wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:37 am
All box cars from the Grosvenor siding have been cut up at OmniSource.
I assume that includes the Ann Arbor boxcar? I believe it was #1409?
rail_watcher wrote:
The buffer car that I saw in Adrian and thought they were keeping it for a second one was actually the one they've been using all along.
ADBF 1452
http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPictur ... id=5566550

rail_watcher
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rail_watcher »

NS3322 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:29 am
rail_watcher wrote:
All box cars from the Grosvenor siding have been cut up at OmniSource.
I assume that includes the Ann Arbor boxcar? I believe it was #1409?
rail_watcher wrote:
The buffer car that I saw in Adrian and thought they were keeping it for a second one was actually the one they've been using all along.
ADBF 1452
http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPictur ... id=5566550
To answer your questions, Yes and Yes.

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

AARR wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:56 pm
chapmaja wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:25 pm
Is the passing siding long enough for a 25 car cut?
The siding next to the elevator looks just long enough to hold 25 cars.

CN has several sidings around Carlotte that are long enough, but I don't know if there are restrictions to using them to exchange cars.
CN would prefer if the CHS went away for a variety of reasons.

1. The switch is on a curve, on a slight incline going side to side across the tracks. It has to be replaced once or twice a year due to wear and tear at a significant cost.
2. They use the local from Lansing to hand off cars and they have to shove from Potterville, tieing up the main.
3. CN wouldn't let ADBF access their tracks in the past. Therefore, CN would shove cars onto the CHS five at a time because that's all the space there was in that siding before they would block an intersection. The CHS 3 would take the five cars down to wherever they were storing them and then come back, duck into the siding for the next five and then they would shove those etc... Meanwhile, this occupied the single-track mainline for quite some time.

LG Gibson has shared video in the past on Michigan Railfans of the CHS working a storage move. Cool enough luck, the engine on the R934 local Lansing job was a blue GTW unit.

At best, I think you'll see this line good for storage cars but there needs to be some track rehab and potentially some way to run around cars better than what's currently there.

Yes, there are still old wooden coaches in the woods out at the end of the line past the elevator. Now would be the time to get them out of there as there's lots of poison ivy around where they are sitting.

They did take a cut of storage 3-bay hoppers from CSX on Tuesday so they are getting some storage biz again which is good.

I'd rank the operations for new business potential:
1. JAIL
2. ADBF
3. Detroit
T-5. Charlotte and Lapeer

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thank you for the good feedback
LansingRailFan wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:57 pm
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:48 pm
LansingRailFan wrote:
The CHS can stay alive forever on your paper railroad! IDK if you have facebook but LG's video's clearly show how complicated it is to move large cuts of cars onto these lines.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I don't have FB but I really appreciate your detailed response 8)
LansingRailFan wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:00 pm
AARR wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:48 pm
LansingRailFan wrote:
The CHS can stay alive forever on your paper railroad! IDK if you have facebook but LG's video's clearly show how complicated it is to move large cuts of cars onto these lines.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

LansingRailFan wrote:
AARR wrote:
chapmaja wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:25 pm

1. The switch is on a curve, on a slight incline going side to side across the tracks. It has to be replaced once or twice a year due to wear and tear at a significant cost.
The switch to the CHS is on a tangent. The CN curve begins over 1/3 of a mile to the west, by Stoddard St.

I really doubt that the switch is replaced (as in the whole assembly, not just certain parts) once or twice a year. Does CHS pay anything towards the switch maintenance?

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Steve B wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:35 pm
LansingRailFan wrote:
AARR wrote:

The switch to the CHS is on a tangent. The CN curve begins over 1/3 of a mile to the west, by Stoddard St.

I really doubt that the switch is replaced (as in the whole assembly, not just certain parts) once or twice a year. Does CHS pay anything towards the switch maintenance?
Tangent. There’s the word. LG uses it all the time.

No they don’t pay towards it.

Believe what you wish, Steve B. Bless you.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

LansingRailFan wrote:

1. The switch is on a curve, on a slight incline going side to side across the tracks.
I just took a look at the street view at the Cochran Ave crossing. The track is straight in both directions, including the section where the switch is. What curve are you seeing when you look at that street view?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

LansingRailFan wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:51 pm
Steve B wrote:
LansingRailFan wrote:

It would be unusual for such a switch to be replaced in full 1-2 times a year. I'd certainly welcome photos or eyewitness accounts of such events.

"Tangent" is not a snooty word. It's used constantly by people writing about railroads, in casual internet posts and magazine articles, including by many like myself with no railroad work experience.

The fact remains that the switch isn't on a curve. That's easily verified by looking at the several track charts available online, aerial photos, and standing there in person.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

Steve B wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:32 am
LansingRailFan wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:51 pm
Steve B wrote:

It would be unusual for such a switch to be replaced in full 1-2 times a year. I'd certainly welcome photos or eyewitness accounts of such events.

"Tangent" is not a snooty word. It's used constantly by people writing about railroads, in casual internet posts and magazine articles, including by many like myself with no railroad work experience.

The fact remains that the switch isn't on a curve. That's easily verified by looking at the several track charts available online, aerial photos, and standing there in person.
I don't know if it is replaced regularly or not, but I can say, from looking at the Google Maps view of the interchange, it is on a straight stretch of track. The line is pretty much straight from Packard Highway to the north, to Stoddard St to the south, a distance that is easily 1/2 mile or longer of straight track.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

From everything said in the sand house, allegedly customers were ecstatic that the railroad was sold and new owners had taken over and business was on the up tick.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

CAT345C wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:59 pm
From everything said in the sand house, allegedly customers were ecstatic that the railroad was sold and new owners had taken over and business was on the up tick.
I assume you were talking about the ADBF and JAIL lines which actually have customers. The sale actually included all 5 lines correct.

JAIL, ADBF, Charlotte (whatever its official name is), LIRR and the Detroit Connecting (I think that's right).

LIRR has a very limited if any customers. I don't know about the Detroit operation.

1TrackMind
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 1TrackMind »

chapmaja wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:01 pm
CAT345C wrote:
I assume you were talking about the ADBF and JAIL lines which actually have customers. The sale actually included all 5 lines correct.

JAIL, ADBF, Charlotte (whatever its official name is), LIRR and the Detroit Connecting (I think that's right).

LIRR has a very limited if any customers. I don't know about the Detroit operation.
Detroit has 3 or 4 customers. Used to be a 4 day operation with one day going to lapeer.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

1TrackMind wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:58 pm
chapmaja wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:01 pm
CAT345C wrote:

Detroit has 3 or 4 customers. Used to be a 4 day operation with one day going to lapeer.
ADBF Customers:
W2Fuel (Adrian)
Plastic Omnium (Adrian)
OmniSource (Adrian)
MAC (Blissfield)
Nutrien AG Solutions (Blissfield)
Valero/AirGas (Riga)

CHS Customers:
None

DCON Customers:
Ferrous Processing & Trading (Detroit)
US Ecology (Detroit)
ExxonMobil Lubricants/Vesco Oil (Detroit)
Railmark Rail Freight Solutions Transload (Detroit)

LIRR Customers:
Delta Faucet (Lapeer)

JAIL Customers:
Greif/Michigan Packaging (Mason)
Shafer Redi-Mix (Mason)
JAIL Transload Facility (Mason)
Eaton Farm Bureau (Mason)
Americhem (Mason)
RSDC (Holt)
Harris Rebar (Lansing)
Reid Machinery (Lansing)
Friedland Industries (Lansing)
Padnos (Lansing)
Alro Steel (Lansing)

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

Boomer Construction in Detroit down by Mack Ave also gets rebar on a rare basis in gons. Or at least they did.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

New Power is on its way…

Ex-DLCX 3127 is coming first. A former Southern Pacific SD45 rebuilt into an SD40-2 and will be repainted into ADBF 821. Also a GP40-2 coming as well.

Most likely will see these on the JAIL and 1751, 1758, 1760 moved to ADBF and/or sold.

The

rail_watcher
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rail_watcher »

LansingRailFan wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:22 am
New Power is on its way…

Ex-DLCX 3127 is coming first. A former Southern Pacific SD45 rebuilt into an SD40-2 and will be repainted into ADBF 821. Also a GP40-2 coming as well.

Most likely will see these on the JAIL and 1751, 1758, 1760 moved to ADBF and/or sold.

The
Do you know more about the history of these two new Locomotives? I can't seem to find anything on DLCX 3127. Also, any idea on a time frame for this to all take place? Side note, it'll be nice to have all of the GP9's back here in Adrian!

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

Stupid question since I don’t know much about the ADBF: will the Lapeer industrial fold? I still need to chase them
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

David Collins wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:00 am
Stupid question since I don’t know much about the ADBF: will the Lapeer industrial fold? I still need to chase them
Why would they fold as long as they have an active customer on the line? I would be more worried about CHS