Woodhaven yard in trenton/riverview

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Woodhaven yard in trenton/riverview

Unread post by redside20 »

now that its seeing use again, was its intended purpose in the beginning and why did CN quit switching this plant?
Exit stage left

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Woodhaven yard in trenton/riverview

Unread post by AARR »

Can you be more specific about the yard's location and the plant it services?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

redside20

sorry the one down by the chrysler stamping plant
Exit stage left

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

You mean Stellantis Trenton Engine (on Van Horn) or the Ford Woodhaven Stamping plant (on West Rd)?

redside20

Um yeah i got confused, knew ford and chrysler had plants in that general vicinity and that they both got rail service at one time or another.
Exit stage left

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

As far as I'm aware neither gets any rail service anymore

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Like Chip said no service at the engine plant in many years and Ford Stamping probably no service in 5-10 years or something like that although they still have their spurs in place AFAIK.
Chip wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:44 pm
As far as I'm aware neither gets any rail service anymore
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

A lot of the Ford plants still have spurs that haven't been disconnected. The MAP body shop still has ours, you can see it was cut right at the fence line, I'm assuming sometime in the 2000s as Expedition/Navigator production started winding down there and the supply chain shifted to trucks only. That building was built in the late 80s so it's not like it's that old. The door the spur went into is still there, though it's been rendered inoperable and there are no more rails inside the building.

WHVNOnly
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by WHVNOnly »

The Woodhaven Stamping Plant hasn’t seen cars in years like stated above. The yard, I’ve heard called “Fordhaven” sees autoracks loaded and switched out almost everyday/night.
The Stellantis Trenton Engine on the Conrail in Trenton I heard had a car go off the end of the track in the building and they stopped rail traffic since. Not sure how true that story is.

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

WHVNOnly wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:31 pm
The Woodhaven Stamping Plant hasn’t seen cars in years like stated above. The yard, I’ve heard called “Fordhaven” sees autoracks loaded and switched out almost everyday/night.
The Stellantis Trenton Engine on the Conrail in Trenton I heard had a car go off the end of the track in the building and they stopped rail traffic since. Not sure how true that story is.
That's the old building anyway, I believe it's mostly used for warehousing these days

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

Yes, someone put a train, not a car into the Chrysler engine plant. The train was an empty steel train (about 60 cars long) for Great Lakes Steel that couldn't go north because there was NO room at Conrail's River Rouge yard. The decision was made to shove off the train on the northbound siding (no longer there) The old head conductor had a fairly new brakeman on board, and he was tasked with putting the train into the siding, that ran from the West Road bridge to Vanhorn Road on the west side of track #2. Well, the new guy missed one of the switches. YUP, the one that lead to the Chrysler plant! After shoving about half the train onto and into the plant, along with the sudden stop did they realize that someone screwed up! Did millions in damage collapsed part of the building, destroyed a new machine. Launched a search and rescue mission. This all occurred at shift change and took a better part of the day to account for everyone. Some of this info is searchable. The rest came from being on duty that morning.