E&LS Shark Sighting

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

E&LS Shark Sighting

Unread post by AARR »

Jason Asselin video'd one of the sharks out of the building
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Re: E&LS Shark Sighting

Unread post by Ypsi »

If you like Jason or not, that is an incredibly lucky find. I hope that this is a good sign for the sharks.. or at minimum not a bad sign.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

This video is intriguing. The last time I saw 1216 was circa 1995-96 inside the engine house at Wells. I recall that the car body was intact at that time.

Today it appears that 1216 was pulled out of the ELS back shop (ex CNW/Harnischfeger) in Escanaba with a lot of sheet metal missing. I am wondering if the locomotive had been moved for a rebuild or was the sheet metal pulled off to repair the other shark.

I noticed that the top was opened up which would be indicative of the engine/generator being worked on.

I would like to see the sharks back in service. Time will tell.

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

Wasn't it reported that ELS was in possession of a new original Baldwin prime mover and was intending on restoring both sharks to working order for donation/display?

GTW Dude
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTW Dude »

It's already been reported by TRAINS mag a while back that the sharks upon the owners death will be donated to a museum/s. Problems around both of the sharks involve one that had burnt out its traction motor via a snow train accident and the other had a very big crank shaft failure of some sort IIRC. One of the sharks was midway through it's engine rebuild before the company performing the rebuild went defunct and apparently the repair was supposedly done incorrectly and would have became a nightmare of sorts attempting to fix it on a Baldwin diesel.

Either way this is an unbelievably rare sighting for one of the sharks. As you may know, both of them are in the very bottom point of the upper peninsula (aka the middle of nowhere) and hadn't been spotted outside extreamely briefly since the 90's and someone from all the way out there STILL managed to catch a minor move in the Escanaba yard. It goes to show these are very hot topic diesels that every museum and their mom is going to want which is why they are tucked away in the first place in order to prevent greedy foamers from sneaking out and stealing parts which is part of the reason they got tucked away in the first place. So if you ever see a D&H Sharknose builder plate headed up on ebay be sure to let John Larkin know (Current owner of the sharks).

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

The 1216 is the unit that was out and about today.

How did two sharks of NYC origin but in Delaware and Hudson paint end up in the U.P.? This is a good summary: https://www.trains.com/trn/news-reviews ... wner-says/

Mackinac Mac
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mackinac Mac »

The shark was out earlier this summer sitting in broad daylight when they started evaluating them and working on 1216 and nobody even noticed it. Trains magazine covered their fate.
Last edited by Mackinac Mac on Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

GTW Dude wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:05 pm
As you may know, both of them are in the very bottom point of the upper peninsula (aka the middle of nowhere)...
Escanaba and Wells are hardly in the middle of nowhere. Esky is the third-largest city in the Upper Peninsula.

However, other points in the E&LS system like Channing, Amasa, and Sidnaw are indeed in the middle of nowhere...

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

NS3322 wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:55 am
GTW Dude wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:05 pm
As you may know, both of them are in the very bottom point of the upper peninsula (aka the middle of nowhere)...
Escanaba and Wells are hardly in the middle of nowhere. Esky is the third-largest city in the Upper Peninsula.

However, other points in the E&LS system like Channing, Amasa, and Sidnaw are indeed in the middle of nowhere...
Depends on your perspective - Escanaba is the largest city many Yoopers will visit with any regularity if ever - making it “the big city”. However, if you’re from a metropolis like Detroit or Chicago, the whole UP is “nowhere”.

However, Channing, Sidnaw and especially Amasa are middle of nowhere unless you’re from the moon or Mars.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

https://www.trains.com/trn/news-reviews ... -michigan/

Moved it to Wells shop to free up space in the other shop.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

2nd video. Includes an operating SD9.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

David Collins wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:30 am
https://www.facebook.com/sawenhalve/pho ... =3&theater Well there goes our hopes
Relax, “Sawenhalve Scrap” is a joke page. Come on man, “Saw In Half” scrap?
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

SD80MAC wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:50 am
David Collins wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:30 am
https://www.facebook.com/sawenhalve/pho ... =3&theater Well there goes our hopes
Relax, “Sawenhalve Scrap” is a joke page. Come on man, “Saw In Half” scrap?
I have issues with taking stuff easily, gimme a break
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

kd_1014
Mike

Unread post by kd_1014 »

y'all are funny