Recommended photo/video locations for 1225

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Recommended photo/video locations for 1225

Unread post by David Collins »

So me and a few buddies of mine are chasing 1225 on the 4th, anyone got any good suggestions for video and photo locations? I’ve obviously got the Carland Grain Elevator down but other than that I’ve got nothing, I’ve only seen him in one spot but have never actually chased it…
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Recommended photo/video locations for 1225

Unread post by Super Chief »

Ashley a block beyond where the public disembarkation is good. Engine with trailing consist and no people or obstructions on the south side right after they stop.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Whatever you do, don’t do what those two morons did yesterday at Carland and setup on the darn track.

Also, make sure you observe photo lines.

As for locations, I’d take a gander at videos from prior years and see what looks best to you.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

SRI and GLC are taking the 25 feet from the track rule pretty seriously this year. Be safe.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Good luck chasing the trip. A couple friends and I tried that a couple years ago, with our first shot at the intersection of Smith and Wilkinson roads, and our second shot on the state highway just outside of Ashley- the train moves too fast and there's too much traffic to move fast enough on the back roads up there, especially if it snowed the night before. The first place we stopped allowed us to capture 2 different grade crossings with a little bit of runby action as we were on Smith Road, just north of the intersection. I seem to recall some complaining at first that we weren't right at the crossing, but in my opinion we got better material than if we'd been right at the crossing.

One of the guys I was with was shooting video. I was doing both photos and video, IIRC.
David Collins wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:50 am
So me and a few buddies of mine are chasing 1225 on the 4th, anyone got any good suggestions for video and photo locations? I’ve obviously got the Carland Grain Elevator down but other than that I’ve got nothing, I’ve only seen him in one spot but have never actually chased it…
~ Charles W.

kd_1014
Mike

Unread post by kd_1014 »

Not sure if they are going to be regularly doing this, but they flagged the crossing at Carland yesterday due to trespassing incidents, so that also gives you more time to get to wherever you need to be.

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

kd_1014 wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:46 am
Not sure if they are going to be regularly doing this, but they flagged the crossing at Carland yesterday due to trespassing incidents, so that also gives you more time to get to wherever you need to be.
They’re also going to be running at 10 mph, if people want to ruin a lot of peoples’ weekend by getting the train canceled by trespassing, getting too close, etc, they’re a good job unfortunately…

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Go on RP and search "1225." You'll see plenty of different locations to shoot.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

GTW Dude
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTW Dude »

David Collins wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:57 am
kd_1014 wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:46 am
They’re also going to be running at 10 mph, if people want to ruin a lot of peoples’ weekend by getting the train canceled by trespassing, getting too close, etc, they’re a good job unfortunately…
That’s 2 days in a row at Carlton that someone almost got hit. Also Hi David. I went out on Saturday and some idiot thought it was OK to stand on the ties while the engineer is giving short warning blasts on the whistle. I genuinely thought I might see another 844 esque incident and you can probably hear me scream “HEY” at the last minute while 1225 comes barreling down. Luckily the guy moved out of the way and the noise of the locomotive for the most part drowned out my voice from my camera and others. In terms of good shots I’d go for the Robinson Furniture shot onto the mainline and stand right next to the telephone post next to the sidewalk. SRI crew is seriously strict this year about the 25 foot rule this year and is taking no exceptions. If anything there isn’t much to shoot if I’m being 100% honest it’s mostly fields and farms which makes for great panning shots but not much scenery. What I would advise is going on Google earth and mapping which roads and spots you want to go to because the road does not run parallel to the tracks it runs diagonally so you will be zig-zagging around with a crossing every 2 seconds.

thatcheb
Railroadfan...fan

Chssing North Pole Express Safely

Unread post by thatcheb »

Planning ahead for safe chasing is always a good idea. Google maps can be very useful in planning a chase route and stops. Those planning to shoot photos or video need to remind themselves that it is no longer 1941, when steam was part of the everyday landscape and it was easy to get a shot of just the locomotive and train. Today, mainline steam is fairly scarce and we do live on a populated planet. Most photographic vantage points are going to have people in them - get used to it.

The Jackass Nation convention at Carland Road did nobody any favors. Incidents such as this can easily (and rightfully) lead to no more steam excursions in Michigan - ever.

To all readers who want to continue the enjoyment of riding, photographing or just watching a steam locomotive excursion, please exhibit the self-discipline of maintaining the minimum safe distance (aim for 25 feet) from the railroad track. I came "of age" riding steam excursions in the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s. Photographers generally self-sorted into one or more angled photo lines a safe distance from the track. There is no reason this cannot be done nowadays. Also - respect other people's private property.

If somebody is encroaching on railroad property to get a photo or to "just look," politely remind them of the risk to steam excursion operations mentioned above. If they choose to remain at the edge of the track (let alone ON the track), feel free to call 911. All of the law enforcement agencies have been briefed on the NPE schedules, route and safety concerns.

We have been operating North Pole Express excursion trains since 2004, and the grade crossing problems seem to be getting worse. So, I ask all of you to help in maintaining a safe environment for bystanders - so we can continue to offer these excursions to the public.

Bob Thatcher, Safety Officer
Steam Railroading Institute
Bob Thatcher

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Chssing North Pole Express Safely

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

thatcheb wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:20 am
Planning ahead for safe chasing is always a good idea. Google maps can be very useful in planning a chase route and stops. Those planning to shoot photos or video need to remind themselves that it is no longer 1941, when steam was part of the everyday landscape and it was easy to get a shot of just the locomotive and train. Today, mainline steam is fairly scarce and we do live on a populated planet. Most photographic vantage points are going to have people in them - get used to it.

The Jackass Nation convention at Carland Road did nobody any favors. Incidents such as this can easily (and rightfully) lead to no more steam excursions in Michigan - ever.

To all readers who want to continue the enjoyment of riding, photographing or just watching a steam locomotive excursion, please exhibit the self-discipline of maintaining the minimum safe distance (aim for 25 feet) from the railroad track. I came "of age" riding steam excursions in the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s. Photographers generally self-sorted into one or more angled photo lines a safe distance from the track. There is no reason this cannot be done nowadays. Also - respect other people's private property.

If somebody is encroaching on railroad property to get a photo or to "just look," politely remind them of the risk to steam excursion operations mentioned above. If they choose to remain at the edge of the track (let alone ON the track), feel free to call 911. All of the law enforcement agencies have been briefed on the NPE schedules, route and safety concerns.

We have been operating North Pole Express excursion trains since 2004, and the grade crossing problems seem to be getting worse. So, I ask all of you to help in maintaining a safe environment for bystanders - so we can continue to offer these excursions to the public.

Bob Thatcher, Safety Officer
Steam Railroading Institute
I think the fiasco at Carland and the social media response on Facebook and other media channels is guaranteed to elicit a positive (for SRI/GLC) response from the railfan community.

I can’t wait to take my family and another family on one of your excursions next month.

Micah_D
The Railroad Empire

Unread post by Micah_D »

David Collins wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:50 am
I will most likely be out there as well. Should get some great shots hoping the snow stays. Also someone posted a picture on FB of the old Carland grain elevator having orange construction barrels around it so it may no longer be a great place for shooting.

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

This is my basic chasing route, it is all paved roads, with a minimum number of turns, and you should be able to get 4-5 shots while still driving like a responsible adult. :)

Start with any shot in Owosso - There's at least one good angle at every crossing, so just explore a little.

Head west out of town on Main st (M-21) and turn North on Delaney Road

The tracks cross Delaney right at the intersection with Mason Road. - This spot is often kind of crowded

Continue north 3 miles on Delaney to Juddville road and turn left (West)

After 4.5 miles on Juddville Road you will cross the tracks again.

After this shot, continue West on Juddville until it dead ends at Meridian Road. Turn right (North)

It's about 2 miles to the crossing on Meridian and then you continue a little over a mile and turn left (West) on Maple Rapids Road (right before the pavement ends on Meridian). Take Maple Rapids Road 1 mile, and turn North again onto Hollister Road. Hollister changes names & becomes Mason Road. Take this 5 miles and then turn left (West) onto Cleveland Road (M-57)

It is almost 4 miles to the tracks on M-57 just South of Ashley. You can do the shot there, or take either of the next two roads to the right and go into town in Ashley to get the train arriving. Getting into Ashley & parking will take a bit of time, so if the train is close, M-57 or McClelland Road is safer.

If the roads are dry, you can add one more shot in between Meridian Road & Ashley. When northbound on Mason Road, turn West onto Wilson Road (there should be sign pointing to the town of Bannister). There are a couple of crossings in Bannister to choose from, or Grenland Road, just North of town. In any case, you take 1st st/Berry Road north from Bannister to M-57 and then West again.

If there is snow, you may not be able to get this many shots. These are country roads, and may not be plowed early, well, or at all !

That is the easy level :) These are some alternate ideas.

Instead of stopping at the Delaney Road crossing, you can go 1 mile North & 1 mile West to Wilkinson & Smith Roads. If you take Wilkinson Road back East to Delaney and continue North from there, I believe you can still catch the train at Juddville.

If you want to do Carland, that would replace the Juddville Road shot. Turn North about 1/2 a mile West of the tracks on Juddville to get to the Elevator. Carland will be crowded, so plan for time to park & walk to the tracks & find a spot. You can go North out of Carland and then West to get to Meridian Road, but all the options involve unpaved roads, so you may want to go back South to Juddville instead.

Micah_D
The Railroad Empire

Unread post by Micah_D »

Dan Cluley wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:30 am
This is my basic chasing route, it is all paved roads, with a minimum number of turns, and you should be able to get 4-5 shots while still driving like a responsible adult. :)

Start with any shot in Owosso - There's at least one good angle at every crossing, so just explore a little.

Head west out of town on Main st (M-21) and turn North on Delaney Road

The tracks cross Delaney right at the intersection with Mason Road. - This spot is often kind of crowded

Continue north 3 miles on Delaney to Juddville road and turn left (West)

After 4.5 miles on Juddville Road you will cross the tracks again.

After this shot, continue West on Juddville until it dead ends at Meridian Road. Turn right (North)

It's about 2 miles to the crossing on Meridian and then you continue a little over a mile and turn left (West) on Maple Rapids Road (right before the pavement ends on Meridian). Take Maple Rapids Road 1 mile, and turn North again onto Hollister Road. Hollister changes names & becomes Mason Road. Take this 5 miles and then turn left (West) onto Cleveland Road (M-57)

It is almost 4 miles to the tracks on M-57 just South of Ashley. You can do the shot there, or take either of the next two roads to the right and go into town in Ashley to get the train arriving. Getting into Ashley & parking will take a bit of time, so if the train is close, M-57 or McClelland Road is safer.

If the roads are dry, you can add one more shot in between Meridian Road & Ashley. When northbound on Mason Road, turn West onto Wilson Road (there should be sign pointing to the town of Bannister). There are a couple of crossings in Bannister to choose from, or Grenland Road, just North of town. In any case, you take 1st st/Berry Road north from Bannister to M-57 and then West again.

If there is snow, you may not be able to get this many shots. These are country roads, and may not be plowed early, well, or at all !

That is the easy level :) These are some alternate ideas.

Instead of stopping at the Delaney Road crossing, you can go 1 mile North & 1 mile West to Wilkinson & Smith Roads. If you take Wilkinson Road back East to Delaney and continue North from there, I believe you can still catch the train at Juddville.

If you want to do Carland, that would replace the Juddville Road shot. Turn North about 1/2 a mile West of the tracks on Juddville to get to the Elevator. Carland will be crowded, so plan for time to park & walk to the tracks & find a spot. You can go North out of Carland and then West to get to Meridian Road, but all the options involve unpaved roads, so you may want to go back South to Juddville instead.
Thank you Dan! These will be very helpful for the chase. I am very appreciative of the information.

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Thanks Dan!

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

Obviously each trip is slightly different, but here are approximate times from the trips on 11/28/2021.

10 AM trip

10:37 - Carland
10:49 - Elsie - Meridian Road
11:17 - Arrive at Ashley

13:15 - Pull north for loading at Ashley
13:29 - Depart Ashley southbound
14:18 - Wilkinson Road
14:32 - Owosso - Chipman Street

5 PM trip (Saturday trip departs at 6 PM)

17:06 - Owosso - M52
17:23 - Wilkinson Road
17:45 - Elsie - Meridian Road
18:15 - Arrive Ashley

20:00 - Pull north for loading at Ashley
20:17 - Depart Ashley southbound