Cal-Chlor, Ludington

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Cal-Chlor, Ludington

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Early this year, I was driving through Ludington down the Pere Marquette Highway and noted a new siding beside a new building on the south side of where the spur into Occidental Corp crosses the highway. Google and Bing aerial images haven't been updated yet, but the GIS I use at work has new aerial imagery. The new spur branches off of one of the spurs into Cal-Chlor, in the lower right of the image below. The new, big building appears to sit on top of one of their staging parking lots. In addition to the photo below, you can also see the new siding under construction on Google Street View: https://goo.gl/maps/bgoqB9qCUwLtTbFGA

Is this an actual expansion of Cal-Chlor? Are they moving a new product, or just more of it? Has this resulted in any new carloads for the MQT?
Ludington Cal Chlor.jpg

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Cal-Chlor, Ludington

Unread post by AARR »

Is Cal Chlor the business that used to receive lime or was that the Dow plant?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

AARR wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:12 am
Is Cal Chlor the business that used to receive lime or was that the Dow plant?

That was the Dow, now Oxy plant along the lake.

To answer the original question though it is an expansion of Cal Chlor of Ludington, it has up their capacity from an 8 car full spot to 15, but that being said it has actually slowed production down. The new plant was supposed to be almost entirely automated and be able to handle as many cars as the two other buildings combined over there but max capacity for the new spur is 3.5-4 cars a day when it was supposed to be 8. The new plant has been nothing but an electrical nightmare for them and they really haven’t gained much sadly. It’s a real pain to switch though as they request by car number and in specific order.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

The photo that shows US Trackworks building the track looks like it has an unloading pit. I don't see how they can load on that track.

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

Everything they do is unloading except they do load boxcars but main business is unloading hoppers from Oxy.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

So Cal-Chor is the bagging company / facility for Oxy? I never knew that. Hoppers loaded at Oxy, unloaded at Cal-Chlor, bagged and shipped out by truck and boxcar.
I learned something new:)

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Me too 8)
Raildudes dad wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:51 am
So Cal-Chor is the bagging company / facility for Oxy? I never knew that. Hoppers loaded at Oxy, unloaded at Cal-Chlor, bagged and shipped out by truck and boxcar.
I learned something new:)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

DLM
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by DLM »

Calchlor was a customer of mine for 25 until I retired earlier this year. They shipped domestic loads of calcium chloride with me in 40' containers to California, Oregon, Washington, Alaska, Texas, and Florida. They ship all over the world. The new building is suppose to be a fully automated processing line for calcium chloride to be used for human consumption. Just a forklift driver to carry away the full pallets.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

I learned a couple new things, one being DLM is retired :)