SRI power confusion

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

SRI power confusion

Unread post by David Collins »

Ok so there's been some big buzz (especially on this website) about an Ex Amtrak F40PHR #310 that's going to SRI, I have several questions with this acquisition since this came out of the (totally pun intended) blue?

1. What's going to happen the Ex GTW/CN GP9R's on property? I know they've been there for awhile but have never been used.
2. Are they actually gonna use this as a real locomotive or do like what other museums do with old dilapidated engines, turn it into a HEP generator?
3. Why do they need it, Is their relationship with GLC not good with borrowing engines?
4. This may sound like something a foamer would say (Don't judge), Why would they need an F40? I could see it's benefits because of it's HEP generator, But they GUZZLE fuel, If it's not for HEP use, Couldn't they just get a used GP38-2?
Last edited by David Collins on Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: SRI power confusion

Unread post by Saturnalia »

David Collins wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:45 pm
I could see it's benefits because of it's HEP generator, But they GUZZLE fuel, Couldn't they just get a used GP38-2?
If they're getting it for HEP, then no, they couldn't just replace it with any other unit.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Saturnalia wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:32 pm
David Collins wrote:
I could see it's benefits because of it's HEP generator, But they GUZZLE fuel, Couldn't they just get a used GP38-2?
If they're getting it for HEP, then no, they couldn't just replace it with any other unit.
Correction, if it's NOT for HEP use

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

F40 is a HEP unit.
GLC units aren't HEP units.
Maybe the question is if the current SRI HEP unit(s) are in need of repairs beyond economic reason?

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Probably needed for extra HEP use. Sounds like it’s just leased for the NPE season. Not sure if they will be using the GLLX GP9 or not. They recently tried to acquire an E8 but were outbid. I suspect they will continue to try and acquire a vintage EMD passenger unit to assist 1225 and for use on their non-steam hauled trips.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

DaveO wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:05 pm
Maybe the question is if the current SRI HEP unit(s) are in need of repairs beyond economic reason?
The two ex-troop sleepers?
David Collins wrote:
2. Are they actually gonna use this as a real locomotive or do like what other museums do with old dilapidated engines, turn it into a HEP generator?
Example? I cannot think of an operator that has done this. Also, I think you are being a bit dramatic with calling the F40PHR "dilapidated."

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

David Collins wrote:

I have no clue where this idea of this F40PH being dilapidated comes from.. from the looks of it it just did a stint on TRE in Texas and from the videos I saw sounded healthy.
3. Why do they need it, Is their relationship with GLC not good with borrowing engines?
Borrowing locomotives costs money, and HEP cars cost money. I would wager every time SRI uses a GLC locomotive a bill comes along with that. If the current HEP car cannot handle the current load or is down AND you need a locomotive anyway, an engine with HEP gives you a much better bang for your buck than a separate HEP car and locomotive. It is possible 310 is cheaper that leasing a GLC unit. From what I have seen leases take into account operating days when dealing with passenger equipment.
4. This may sound like something a foamer would say (Don't judge), Why would they need an F40? I could see it's benefits because of it's HEP generator, But they GUZZLE fuel, If it's not for HEP use, Couldn't they just get a used GP38-2?

Compared to what? F40PHR will be comparable to a GP38-2 or GP40 which were all built with a version of the 645 prime mover. An F40PH is basically a cowled passenger GP40. The hep will increase consumption, but likely not enough to make it worth running a separate HEP car. If you’re not running an F40 with hep you’re running a geep and a HEP car. Odds are it evens out. Not to mention the locomotive won’t be under load 1/2 the time anyway. So it will be doing the same job as a HEP car with no load when being pulled north.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

kd_1014
Mike

Unread post by kd_1014 »

GLC is also busier than ever recently, and they cannot guarantee an engine on every NPE train.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

David Collins wrote:
1. What's going to happen the Ex GTW/CN GP9R's on property? I know they've been there for awhile but have never been used.
Huh? Just noticed this comment. There are no GP9Rs currently in Owosso...

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

NS3322 wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:10 pm
David Collins wrote:
Correction, I meant one, it's Ex GTW

GTW Dude
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTW Dude »

David Collins wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:49 pm
NS3322 wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:10 pm
David Collins wrote:
Correction, I meant one, it's Ex GTW
No No, NS3322 means that there are no GTW GP9R's in Owosso period. The one that's on the property now is an unrebuilt GP9 still in as delivered style to the GTW in the 1950's. GP9R's are the rebuilds with the lowered nose from the GTW's Battle Creek shops. It's hard to believe the GP9's are still working hard after almost 70 years of continuous service and weren't fully retired by the GTW until the very late 90's.

SW
Rail Trail Explorer

Unread post by SW »

Leased unit LTEX 310 arrived this week at the Steam Rail Institute (SRI) for service on the North Pole Express (NPE) excursions which start Saturday, Nov. 20.

If you are on Facebook, you can access SRI’s page here:
https://www.facebook.com/steamrailroadinginstitute

The Backshop of the SRI has its own page here:
https://www.facebook.com/sribackshop

SRI also has a website with current information on operations and equipment:
https://www.michigansteamtrain.com/

SRI is always looking for volunteers, of which I am one. Currently in the backshop we are busy preparing for the NPE season, with ongoing work on PM 1225 and the passenger cars. There is always something to do! You can check out opportunities and submit a volunteer application here:
https://michigansteamtrain.charityproud ... b2933bee49
Owosso Steve

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JStryker722 »

As A SRI volunteer,I'll definitively kill the speculation once and for all:

F40PH #310 is just leased for NPE.With "only" 12 cars this year, it was felt it was worth renting a locomotive with HEP to try to eliminate the need for a separate HEP generator car.Nothing to see here. 🤪
My Wife says my first love is trains..anint that the truth! Lol :D

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Robertrains »

JStryker722 wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:11 pm
As A SRI volunteer,I'll definitively kill the speculation once and for all:

F40PH #310 is just leased for NPE.With "only" 12 cars this year, it was felt it was worth renting a locomotive with HEP to try to eliminate the need for a separate HEP generator car.Nothing to see here. 🤪
I'd like to see this F40PH being used on the "Polar Express™!!!!! Especially during Amtrak®'s 50th Anniversary year!!!! Also, the ex GTW GP9 4428 may only be used to switch the yard I've heard! That's a shame though, especially since Ditch Lights were added on the long hood end! Those aren't required for switching!!!! :o
Robert Jackson (Extreme Railfan/Bluewater and Michigan Transit Museum member)

http://cooltrains.rrpicturearchives.net/