Michigan Rail business news redux

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Michigan Rail business news redux

Unread post by redside20 »

And now for the new, from the same article exhibits Lake States next new customer in Gaylord MIchigan. Having relocated from nearby Comins, MIchigan lumber and wood fiber located to an area where an old georgia pacific plant used to be in Gaylord.

https://www.northernexpress.com/news/fe ... YF3RQ3PBPI

https://www.petoskeynews.com/story/news ... /43708373/
Exit stage left

redside20

Re: Michigan Rail business news redux

In Chelsea, JIffy Mix is planning to expand by locating a new warehouse adjacent to their current facility.

https://list23.com/141872-the-maker-of- ... -why-it-i/
Exit stage left

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

https://www.fox17online.com/news/local- ... ?_amp=true

Any chance this expansion might yield railroad service in the future? This is in the NW quadrant of Fuller diamond in Grand Rapids, and will directly border the CSX transload tracks just north of Ann Street.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

GP30M4216 wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:08 pm
https://www.fox17online.com/news/local- ... ?_amp=true

Any chance this expansion might yield railroad service in the future? This is in the NW quadrant of Fuller diamond in Grand Rapids, and will directly border the CSX transload tracks just north of Ann Street.
I suppose it is possible but their existing plant next door does not use rail, nor do the included rendering show rail access. I thought I remember it being mentioned here that they get their product transloaded from Hughart, and were previously involved with the track expansion there a few years ago.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

DLM
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by DLM »

They make food grade plastic packaging. I have moved many intermodal loads for them when the transit time fits with their customers production schedule. They will never ship finished product via boxcar due to transit time and customers not having sidings. The plastic pellets come from the Grand Elk yard.

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

Also at Michigan Sugar in Bay City a couple rail spurs at the plant have been extended to increase there capacity that's good news.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Not too long ago they received sugar beets from Deckerville, quite a few cars often in blocks of 10-20 at a time. The satellite view shows that the sugar beet dumping track was not very long and it seems they would have had to do a lot of switching to unload a block of 10-20 cars. Anyone have any information about the sugar beet operation?
penn central wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:22 am
Also at Michigan Sugar in Bay City a couple rail spurs at the plant have been extended to increase there capacity that's good news.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

redside20

penn central wrote:
Which one? Arent there several facilities?
Exit stage left

KC8RBK
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KC8RBK »

redside20 wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:42 pm
penn central wrote:
I think only 1 has sidings and production. The other locations are offices or warehousing. It's been 20 years since I've done work in there though so I may be mistaken

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

According the satellite view there are three tracks that go into the plant and several more on the outside of the plant including one that went to the sugar beet dump track.
KC8RBK wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:45 pm
redside20 wrote:
penn central wrote:
I think only 1 has sidings and production. The other locations are offices or warehousing. It's been 20 years since I've done work in there though so I may be mistaken
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

redside20

Sekisui locating second plant in Coldwater Mi.

https://www.sekisuivoltek.com/news-and- ... new-plant/
Exit stage left

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

The existing plant has a short spur that holds about five cars of which it looks like three can be unloaded at a time. I would "guess: they get about three cars a week.
redside20 wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:18 pm
Sekisui locating second plant in Coldwater Mi.

https://www.sekisuivoltek.com/news-and- ... new-plant/

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

redside20 wrote:
penn central wrote:
I just noticed your post sorry i didn't see it sooner i will double check next time im in the plant i usually get sent in there several times every beet campaign some railfans that live in the area reported to me that a couple spurs where extended. There is several facilities but just one in Bay City that processes sugar they do use the old Bay City Milling grocery warehouse for bagged sugar storage on Bay City's east side of town but no rail service Bay City Milling closed in 1993.

redside20

A september podcast with John Rickoff of the LSRC

https://dehayf5mhw1h7.cloudfront.net/wp ... ickoff.mp3
Exit stage left

1TrackMind
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 1TrackMind »

With MISI buying the Worthington steel facility in Jackson, does anybody know if they are still getting rail service?

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/ ... kson-Plant

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

8+ years ago, when Worthington in Jackson was my customer, they would get a few carloads of coil steel a few times a month. Most of their steel arrived by truck but some was delivered by NS to their Canton plant then trucked to Jackson. I didn't have the inside scoop what factors determined what type of transportation was used.
1TrackMind wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:39 pm
With MISI buying the Worthington steel facility in Jackson, does anybody know if they are still getting rail service?

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

1TrackMind wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:39 pm

Per source they get cars a few times a week. Has not stopped as of yet.

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

penn central wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:34 pm
redside20 wrote:
penn central wrote:
I just noticed your post sorry i didn't see it sooner i will double check next time im in the plant i usually get sent in there several times every beet campaign some railfans that live in the area reported to me that a couple spurs where extended. There is several facilities but just one in Bay City that processes sugar they do use the old Bay City Milling grocery warehouse for bagged sugar storage on Bay City's east side of town but no rail service Bay City Milling closed in 1993.
Okay this past Friday January 3rd i was sent into the Michigan Sugar plant in Bay City and yes there where two tracks that was extended at the yard on the east side of Euclid Ave for more car capacity and also another track was added inside the plant for increased molasses loading i spoke with a plant manager when i was there the place was absolutely booming raw sugar beets piled all over.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

penn central wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:16 am
i spoke with a plant manager when i was there the place was absolutely booming raw sugar beets piled all over.
Michigan Sugar is in the middle of what they call "The Campaign". It starts around late fall and continues for about 5 months until early spring. The are probably operating 24/7 during this period.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

I saw a blip on the news that Home Depot is planning to open a new distribution center on the site of the former GM Warren Transmission Plant in Warren, along Mound north of 9 Mile. I’m assuming it’s no accident that the eastern boundary of this parcel is the ex NYC Bay City line. Hopefully it’s a new customer site for whatever Conrail local works this section of industrial track.