Michigan Rail business news redux

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Re: Michigan Rail business news redux

Unread post by redside20 »

Exit stage left

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Seems like they receive 9-12 cars a week. Anyone feel free to correct my estimate.
redside20 wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:18 am
The GP plant in Owosso Michigan.

https://www.paperage.com/2023news/02-17 ... gator.html
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Huge new battery plant being built in Marshall on the AML, to be served by NS per the articles I've seen.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

What materials will a battery plant receive? Will batteries be shipped out by rail?
SD80MAC wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:40 pm
Huge new battery plant being built in Marshall on the AML, to be served by NS per the articles I've seen.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

AARR wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:10 pm
What materials will a battery plant receive? Will batteries be shipped out by rail?
SD80MAC wrote:
Probably certain raw materials inbound. What that might be I have no clue, that’s way above my pay grade. As far as shipping is concerned that’s a hard no. None of Ford’s assembly plants receive anything by rail with the only exceptions being the truck plants (Dearborn, Wayne, Ohio Assy. and Kentucky Truck) getting frames. Every other part is delivered via truck.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Chip wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:57 pm
AARR wrote:
SD80MAC wrote:
Probably certain raw materials inbound. What that might be I have no clue, that’s way above my pay grade. As far as shipping is concerned that’s a hard no. None of Ford’s assembly plants receive anything by rail with the only exceptions being the truck plants (Dearborn, Wayne, Ohio Assy. and Kentucky Truck) getting frames. Every other part is delivered via truck.
It will be rail served in some capacity. The State is giving NS up to $15 million for yard construction, but officially they are saying that money is really to help NS "expand its footprint in Michigan." It is also hard to tell if "battery plant" means "vehicle assembly plant" as well? The press releases are confusing.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Chip wrote:
*Technically* a lot of the truck-delivered parts do come via intermodal trains :wink:
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

NS3322 wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:12 pm
Chip wrote:
AARR wrote:
It will be rail served in some capacity. The State is giving NS up to $15 million for yard construction, but officially they are saying that money is really to help NS "expand its footprint in Michigan." It is also hard to tell if "battery plant" means "vehicle assembly plant" as well? The press releases are confusing.
If it’s served by rail, it’s inbound materials only. The only thing Ford ships out via rail is finished vehicles.

No vehicles will be assembled there. Battery assembly means battery assembly.

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

Saturnalia wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:23 pm
Chip wrote:
*Technically* a lot of the truck-delivered parts do come via intermodal trains :wink:
Not as many as you would think, at least not to the assembly plants. I’ve worked the docks before and never driven into a container. The parts plants and supplier plants, maybe.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Chip wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:26 am
That is what I thought initially, but some of the press releases/news reports suggest potential vehicle assembly. Really confusing. We'll find out in 3 years lol.

KenB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KenB »

I have not seen a map showing where the battery plant will be in Marshall. I assume the State/MDOT will have to build a branch line to get to the plant site. Do not see much rail business this plant will produce. Batteries are made in Georga so maybe NS will get he haul of batteries out of Georga. Batteries are heavy. Can put a whole lot more in a boxcar than truck trailer. Plant in Marshall will assemble batteries for placing in the automobile so will most likley be truck out of the plant to the automobile assembly plant. (Just in time delivery which the railroads are not good at).

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

NS3322 wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:41 am
Chip wrote:
That is what I thought initially, but some of the press releases/news reports suggest potential vehicle assembly. Really confusing. We'll find out in 3 years lol.
I work for Ford, it’s batteries only, trust me. We have too many assembly plants as it is, there’s no way in hell they’re building another one at this point without closing another one with the new Blue Oval City under construction in Tennessee.

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

KenB wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:14 am
I have not seen a map showing where the battery plant will be in Marshall. I assume the State/MDOT will have to build a branch line to get to the plant site. Do not see much rail business this plant will produce. Batteries are made in Georga so maybe NS will get he haul of batteries out of Georga. Batteries are heavy. Can put a whole lot more in a boxcar than truck trailer. Plant in Marshall will assemble batteries for placing in the automobile so will most likley be truck out of the plant to the automobile assembly plant. (Just in time delivery which the railroads are not good at).
Finished batteries shipped out of Rawsonville and Brownstown are shipped via truck. Every rack that holds parts is designed in a way to carry the most weight and highest quantity and not overload trucks. There’s too many trucks on the road carrying Ford parts for them to gamble with overweight trucks. Same goes for GM and Chrysler.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

KenB wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:14 am
As Chip said they likely will only receive inbound raw materials by rail.

The location and map have been well publicized. The plant is being built roughly where C Drive N is currently just west of I-69 in Marshall by Boshears Ford dealership.
No need for a branch line at all, since it is being built directly alongside the AML.

Chip wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:19 am
NS3322 wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:41 am
Chip wrote:
I work for Ford, it’s batteries only, trust me. We have too many assembly plants as it is, there’s no way in hell they’re building another one at this point without closing another one with the new Blue Oval City under construction in Tennessee.
Gotcha! That makes way more sense. I kind of figured the news reports got that wrong.

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

As I said yesterday the only assembly plants that receive inbound parts are the truck plants that get frames which are Wayne, Kansas City, Kentucky Truck, Dearborn, and Ohio Assembly. Dearborn Stamping still uses their spur that goes into the building last I knew.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

NS3322 wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:23 am
Does anyone know what kind of raw materials would be shipped into a battery manufacturing plant?

1TrackMind
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 1TrackMind »

AARR wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:03 pm
NS3322 wrote:
Does anyone know what kind of raw materials would be shipped into a battery manufacturing plant?
Maybe plastic to make the outside of the battery?

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

AARR wrote:
NS3322 wrote:
Tiny batteries that they will smush into bigger batteries.

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

1TrackMind wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:19 pm
AARR wrote:
NS3322 wrote:
Maybe plastic to make the outside of the battery?
The battery casings are metal.

My best guess is the raw minerals, whatever those may be, to make the batteries themselves.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Chip wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:29 am
As I said yesterday the only assembly plants that receive inbound parts are the truck plants that get frames which are Wayne, Kansas City, Kentucky Truck, Dearborn, and Ohio Assembly. Dearborn Stamping still uses their spur that goes into the building last I knew.
Do any of Ford’s stamping plants still receive inbound or ship outbound parts?