Michigan Rail business news redux

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Michigan Rail business news redux

Unread post by Chip »

GP30M4216 wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:04 pm
Chip wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:29 am
As I said yesterday the only assembly plants that receive inbound parts are the truck plants that get frames which are Wayne, Kansas City, Kentucky Truck, Dearborn, and Ohio Assembly. Dearborn Stamping still uses their spur that goes into the building last I knew.
Do any of Ford’s stamping plants still receive inbound or ship outbound parts?
The only one I know of that does is Dearborn Stamping. It’s all flat steel/aluminum though, Ford hasn’t used coils for decades.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I see quite a few 86' box cars being pulled by CN and interchanged with NS from Dearborn Stamping. Often there are 15-20 box cars in a block.
Chip wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:26 pm
The only one I know of that does is Dearborn Stamping. It’s all flat steel/aluminum though, Ford hasn’t used coils for decades.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

AARR wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:16 pm
I see quite a few 86' box cars being pulled by CN and interchanged with NS from Dearborn Stamping. Often there are 15-20 box cars in a block.
Chip wrote:
Yessir. Those trains on the Dearborn line carry flat frame cars, auto racks, and those 86’ box cars. I’m not sure what the box cars usually carry beyond flat steel and half finished parts for the stamping plant. On rare occasions when I lived next to that line I would see empty coke cars being shuttled to/from flat rock for whatever reason.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

As reported on another thread here, Coastal Container is expanding their facility on the south side of Holland and adding a rail spur. This will be on the csx mainline between the US-31 bridge and 48th street.

https://www.packaging-gateway.com/news/ ... r-holland/

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

Dunno exactly how recent this development is, but apparently LSRC gained a customer south of Grand Blanc. Included in the link is a picture of the spur switch on Google Maps. According to a comment, King Steel is the customer. Good to see Lake State is continuing to grow gradually grow business on this part of the Saginaw Sub.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4544276 ... &ref=notif

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

atrainguy60 wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:14 pm
Dunno exactly how recent this development is, but apparently LSRC gained a customer south of Grand Blanc. Included in the link is a picture of the spur switch on Google Maps. According to a comment, King Steel is the customer. Good to see Lake State is continuing to grow gradually grow business on this part of the Saginaw Sub.

try this https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=80f35cf5 ... orm=S00027

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

DaveO wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:30 pm
atrainguy60 wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:14 pm

try this https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=80f35cf5 ... orm=S00027
Thanks, dunno why I didn't think to check Bing to see if their imagery was more recent.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Fitting enough for this thread, but not enough to warrant its own - Standale Lumber in Grandville. Serviced by CSX, flooded, found on Reddit:
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bctrainfan »

Re: Blue Oval facility in Marshall, site prep and excavation is well under way, and it is huge! It will have rail service from NS but again, as others here have noted, the details on exactly what that will entail is still pretty sketchy. That said, Ford has a very large section of property still untouched to the west of the new EV battery plant, and rumor is that a large new assembly plant may be built there after the battery plant is operational. Again, just rumors amongst those involved in the project, but thought share it anyway!

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

Im in St Clair Mi right now and the PH&D job just left Cargill Salt i noticed two boxcars spotted inside the building i just cought the lights on the locomotive i couldn't see what he came out with i can definitely hear the horns echoing across the landscape in St Clair.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I posted a video of CSX pulling two standard height box cars from Cargill
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39113
penn central wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 11:49 pm
Im in St Clair Mi right now and the PH&D job just left Cargill Salt i noticed two boxcars spotted inside the building i just cought the lights on the locomotive i couldn't see what he came out with i can definitely hear the horns echoing across the landscape in St Clair.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

1TrackMind
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 1TrackMind »

AARR wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 7:00 am
penn central wrote:
Where?

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:
penn central wrote:
I noticed two big crane booms and structural steel going up i looked up an article on the salt plant it reads there is a 68 million dollar expansion of the plant.

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

1TrackMind wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 8:59 pm
AARR wrote:
penn central wrote:
Where?
On M29 just south of the Pine River bridge in St Clair.

1TrackMind
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 1TrackMind »

penn central wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 9:31 pm
1TrackMind wrote:
AARR wrote:
Where?
No I ment where is the video. I watched the one in the link it doesn't show them at Cargill.

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

1TrackMind wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 6:25 pm
penn central wrote:
1TrackMind wrote:

Where?
No I ment where is the video. I watched the one in the link it doesn't show them at Cargill.
Mm i just watched i kinda skipped through it the first part is at the Davis Rd grade crossing north of St Clair Yard and also noticed what looks like Yankee Rd at the south end and maybe Fred Moore Street at the end of the video i didn't notice the salt plant either when i get a chance i will watch it more thoroughly i might have missed it.

iNFEKT
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by iNFEKT »

Chip wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:21 am
AARR wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:16 pm
Chip wrote:
Yessir. Those trains on the Dearborn line carry flat frame cars, auto racks, and those 86’ box cars. I’m not sure what the box cars usually carry beyond flat steel and half finished parts for the stamping plant. On rare occasions when I lived next to that line I would see empty coke cars being shuttled to/from flat rock for whatever reason.
I've got pictures of one they left the door open on and it appeared to be hoods

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Sorry guys, I posted the wrong video. Here is the correct one. It is from AmtrakGuy365.

Is there a sharper curve than the one into the Cargill plant anywhere these days? That looks to be about a 15" radius in HO scale :) .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoxfYwBpj9Y
1TrackMind wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 6:25 pm
penn central wrote:
1TrackMind wrote:

Where?

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

I think the coal trains to Essexville are done i haven't seen one since February unless someone else has?

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

penn central wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 12:17 pm
I think the coal trains to Essexville are done i haven't seen one since February unless someone else has?
You are correct.
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k