Shay to be moved to Harbor Springs

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Shay to be moved to Harbor Springs

Unread post by MQT1223 »

1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Re: Shay to be moved to Harbor Springs

Unread post by ~Z~ »

From the article, mentions Shay's Hexagon Shaped house here: https://www.harborspringshistory.org/sh ... gon-house/

Video about Shay, parts of his house, locomotives, and his boat, the Aha: https://vimeo.com/398886144
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

fmilhaupt
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by fmilhaupt »

That will be the second railroad display that has been in the Harbor Springs area.

In the early 1970s, an 0-6-0, a work car and a caboose were displayed along M-119 on the way into Harbor Springs. Does anyone know the fate of this equipment?
-Fritz Milhaupt

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

fmilhaupt wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:53 pm
That will be the second railroad display that has been in the Harbor Springs area.

In the early 1970s, an 0-6-0, a work car and a caboose were displayed along M-119 on the way into Harbor Springs. Does anyone know the fate of this equipment?
The 0-6-0 (Southern Sand & Gravel #102) is at the Steaming Tender restaurant in Palmer, Massachusetts.
The caboose (PRR 980720) was last known to be at a private residence on Lake Michigan near Ellsworth, MI. It was listed for sale in 2014. It is very likely still there.
I still have no idea where the work car ended up...
harbor springs.JPG
Photo of the display by George Lane.

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

It's about time something railroad-related happens in that city, I've visited there because my late-grandparents lived nearby and I never saw anything railroadwise, the fact it's a shay being moved though makes me really excited, Showing the city isn't forgetting the fact that a railroad ran through here at some time or another...
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

David Collins wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:42 pm
It's about time something railroad-related happens in that city, I've visited there because my late-grandparents lived nearby and I never saw anything railroadwise, the fact it's a shay being moved though makes me really excited, Showing the city isn't forgetting the fact that a railroad ran through here at some time or another...
Harbor Springs actually does a decent job showcasing the railroad history in the town. The old GR&I depot still stands and is a Michigan Historic Site. It is currently a swanky dining club.