NS in Chelsea

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

NS in Chelsea

Unread post by chapmaja »

Today at noon I happened to be driving through Chelsea on my way back from work and a meeting. I noticed the following while crossing the tracks just to the east of the depot. Westbound Signals: Southern Track (yellow signal), Northern Track (red signal). Upon further looking I noticed NS with a train on the Northern Track in front of Chelsea Milling Company (Jiffy Mixes). I decided to head over and get some pictures. NS 3286 and 3410 were hooked up to a decent sized local facing EB. Decent meaning roughly 25 cars in length. The train was not moving but the headlight was on on the lead locomotive 3286. Looking EB, the signals on both tracks were yellow.

During the time I was in Chelsea (about 10 minutes at most), the train never made a move of any kind.

Why would they be sitting at this location? Did they just finish working Chelsea Milling (lead car was a BNSF covered hopper similar to the one on the siding next to the train) or were they just arriving and doing paperwork before switching out cars at the location? Was it lunch time and they went up the hill to eat? Would they be waiting on an Amtrak train to head through Chelsea on the opposite track before continuing EB?

On my way out of town I did pass the end of the siding at the east end and all signals were Red in both directions, making me think this wasn't because of a planned meet.

What do others think?

1TrackMind
Railroadfan...fan

Re: NS in Chelsea

Unread post by 1TrackMind »

Probably the crew died there and thats where it will stay until another crew arrives.

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

1TrackMind wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:55 pm
Probably the crew died there and thats where it will stay until another crew arrives.
Don't know NS rules/MDOT rules.
If the train was parked, wouldn't the headlight be off?
Unless of course a locomotive is on the rear with the headlight on dim serving as the rear marker.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

I don't think I've ever seen a train crew die and leave the light on.

Also, to me this would be a strange place for the crew to die considering this train is the local that runs from Jackson to Wayne and return. With very limited work between Jackson and Wayne (I think Chelsea Milling may be the only customer), and the fact track speed on the line is high due to Amtrak using the line, I can't see the crew dead on hours unless they ran another train first in Jackson and are now operating this train as well.

Speaking of this, does anyone have a list of the trains scheduled on the Michigan Line now for NS, as well as what Amtrak is currently running?

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

chapmaja wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:10 am
(I think Chelsea Milling may be the only customer)
Correct. Since Chelsea Grain went belly-up...

And it sounds like they will not be coming back:
https://thesuntimesnews.com/g/chelsea-m ... n-elevator

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

Eastbound extra freight on Saturday. Likely waiting for 350 to pass them EB. They ran back west out of Wayne around 5pm on Saturday.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown