CN Lake Orion Sub - The end finally???

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

CN Lake Orion Sub - The end finally???

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Looks like the end of the CN Lake Orion Sub might finally be here. A couple crossings slated for work out that way aren’t just simply being paved over but removed outright. Looks like no hope for GM to ship out of the stamping plant anymore.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: CN Lake Orion Sub - The end finally???

Unread post by AARR »

MQT1223 wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:02 pm
Looks like no hope for GM to ship out of the stamping plant anymore.
The stamping plant is/was shipping a few cars a week out by rail. Did you mean the no hope for the Assembly Plant in which case you might be right.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

this is the end of the line (pardon the pun), there’s no questioning it. My friend and her family own a RV storage facility near the tracks. One day she and I explored the tracks from the facility all the way to Jocelyn and Brown road. I think I counted cut rails in 3-4 spots.

But my reasoning why there’s never going to be a resurgence is the line is beyond repair and CN (in my opinion) just doesn’t have the money or time to install new tracks/signals. I thought I heard as well that since there’s three crossings all within a mile or less of each other on Joslyn Road that traffic was a real problem.

It’s a bummer, but that’s how things are these days unfortunately…
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

The track was rehabbed circa 1983.
Their is nothing wrong with it except lack of rail traffic.

:roll:

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

DaveO wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:49 pm
The track was rehabbed circa 1983.
Their is nothing wrong with it except lack of rail traffic.

:roll:
That and they have the money in spades. I’ve always wondered… this line ran where to where originally?
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

DaveO

Unread post by DaveO »

The Pontiac, Oxford and Northern went to Caseville.

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

:P
David Collins wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:36 pm
this is the end of the line (pardon the pun), there’s no questioning it. My friend and her family own a RV storage facility near the tracks. One day she and I explored the tracks from the facility all the way to Jocelyn and Brown road. I think I counted cut rails in 3-4 spots.

But my reasoning why there’s never going to be a resurgence is the line is beyond repair and CN (in my opinion) just doesn’t have the money or time to install new tracks/signals. I thought I heard as well that since there’s three crossings all within a mile or less of each other on Joslyn Road that traffic was a real problem.

:P :lol: :D

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

I still see and photograph trains on the old Cass City Subdivision. They still have regular customers on that line, including the GM Pontiac metal center.

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

LansingRailFan wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:58 pm
:P
David Collins wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:36 pm

:P :lol: :D
I don’t get it
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

CN hasn't filed to abandon anything. My guess is that except for grade crossings, the line will stay in place indefinitely until hopefully someday there's high volume production again coming out of that plant-- in 1988 it made about 1,000 a day. Bolt output is paltry compared to that. As far as street congestion, if the plant really starts humming again and there's serious money to be made, CN isn't about to get intimidated by that.

GM did announce $400 million in investment in Orion this year. I'm sure CN is aware of that and is content to let the branch slumber for now, keeping its options open.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

The Bolyard Lumber transload has been getting 1-2 cars a week most of the year. The scrap yard ships frequently. The GM Metal Center ships too.
GTW6401 wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:11 pm
I still see and photograph trains on the old Cass City Subdivision. They still have regular customers on that line, including the GM Pontiac metal center.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

Bolyard has three locations in Rochester Hills, Birmingham and Ann Arbor.

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

Steve B wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:25 pm
CN hasn't filed to abandon anything. My guess is that except for grade crossings, the line will stay in place indefinitely until hopefully someday there's high volume production again coming out of that plant-- in 1988 it made about 1,000 a day. Bolt output is paltry compared to that. As far as street congestion, if the plant really starts humming again and there's serious money to be made, CN isn't about to get intimidated by that.

GM did announce $400 million in investment in Orion this year. I'm sure CN is aware of that and is content to let the branch slumber for now, keeping its options open.
Monetary investments into assembly plants don't always translate to more volume, especially if demand for that product isn't very high. In 2019 Ford announced a $250 million investment into Flat Rock as part of the new UAW contract and yet volume has at best held steady since then.

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

I just looked at it on google earth and yeah it looks like there's approximately 0 customers on that line outside of the assembly plant and they don't produce any substantial volume right now.

Also what a screwy route. Why does it cross over Joslyn Rd. 3 different times in as many miles? Stupid.

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

Chip, I don’t think the original surveyors that plotted the railroad over a century ago thought the area would develop to what it is today….

In concurrence to AARR, there are those 3 customers on the south end of the Pontiac Belt Line, located north of downtown Pontiac by the old PO&N Junction. The Pontiac Belt Line job from Pontiac Yard doesn’t work anywhere further north than Collier Road where the line goes OOS to Lake Orion Assembly. There is discussions of a recycling center going in east of the old PO&N junction that is supposed to have a 3-track yard where the former Romeo Sub began.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

Chip wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:37 pm
I just looked at it on google earth and yeah it looks like there's approximately 0 customers on that line outside of the assembly plant and they don't produce any substantial volume right now.

Also what a screwy route. Why does it cross over Joslyn Rd. 3 different times in as many miles? Stupid.
I’d bet money the road has the screwy route and crosses the tracks 3 times in as many miles and not the other way around.
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

ns8401 wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:24 am
Chip wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:37 pm

I’d bet money the road has the screwy route and crosses the tracks 3 times in as many miles and not the other way around.
Agreed. I'll bet money the RR was there first.

DaveO

Unread post by DaveO »

Raildudes dad wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:36 am

You better find that cash :shock:
I checked some of the old maps. Joslyn Road (or whatever it was named) was there first.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

DaveO wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:41 am
Raildudes dad wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:36 am

You better find that cash :shock:
I checked some of the old maps. Joslyn Road (or whatever it was named) was there first.

RR's were usually pretty good about acquiring deeds to their ROW. Roads tend to be by user if not statutory section line roads. Deeds win:) It sure has made for some wild crossings.

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

Racer wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:11 am
Chip, I don’t think the original surveyors that plotted the railroad over a century ago thought the area would develop to what it is today….

In concurrence to AARR, there are those 3 customers on the south end of the Pontiac Belt Line, located north of downtown Pontiac by the old PO&N Junction. The Pontiac Belt Line job from Pontiac Yard doesn’t work anywhere further north than Collier Road where the line goes OOS to Lake Orion Assembly. There is discussions of a recycling center going in east of the old PO&N junction that is supposed to have a 3-track yard where the former Romeo Sub began.
The line to Romeo was nowhere near that part of Pontiac. That was on the south side of town. Its now the Clinton River Trail.

GFL has a yard on Baldwin Avenue but I doubt it will ever use rail.