CN Lake Orion Sub - The end finally???

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Re: CN Lake Orion Sub - The end finally???

Unread post by Steve B »

DaveO wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:52 am
GTW didn't build the line to Jackson, the Michigan Air Line did. GTW later acquired the line east from Jackson.
Yes, I know. The way I worded it didn't specifically say the GTW built it. Maybe I could've written it better. Often I take more time typing, like with my research I posted earlier about the PM trying to get into Pontiac.

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

It was in response to GTW Dude's statement that the GTW built to Jackson, which of course it didn't.
No problem with your response.

bnsfben
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bnsfben »

The last train to run all the way to Orion Yard was the circus train in November 2016. Yarding that train at Orion Yard must have been interesting to see.

GTW Dude
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTW Dude »

bnsfben wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:42 pm
The last train to run all the way to Orion Yard was the circus train in November 2016. Yarding that train at Orion Yard must have been interesting to see.
i know i have it buried somewhere but i have a video from around 2010-2011 of a GTW unit in original paint going across the massive diagonal intersection at Joslyn which is right on the border of Lake Orion and Auburn Hills. I recall going to see the circus train in Orion yard with my Dad and Grandfather when I was little and there was less security so we could pull up to the yard to see what was all the commotion.

GTW Dude
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTW Dude »

Manistique wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:17 am
A few years ago CN approached some Michigan shortlines about purchasing the Orion Sub from the bridge over Dixie Highway to the GM plant. The theory was that a shortline could operate it cheaper than CN and thus lower shipping rates and maybe get back the GM Orion Plant business for CN to long-haul out of Pontiac. Supposedly, the reason GM wasn't shipping finished cars out by rail for so many years was that it was too expensive to do so with what CN had to charge. I can see that as they needed to support and maintain a long branchline and multiple crews to service them. CN talked to two, maybe three, shortlines. But they never sold it. Maybe they were just sending a warning shot to their unions about operating this line or something?

This part of GTW's Cass City Sub, was upgraded to here when the GM Orion Plant was built in the 1980's. They built a huge freight yard just outside of the plant, including a two-track mainline through it, of which little remains. A new yard office (that recently the CN police were using as their headquarters). GM has miles of tracks inside their plant rusting away including a huge autorack loading facility on the south along Brown Road. I think the State of Michigan paid for most of the yards and trackage. For years welded rail ran alongside the line from Walton to the spur to Orion Yard but it was never installed and only recently picked up. The line to the new yard and plant was basically a long siding off the former Case City Subdivision, which soon thereafter was abandoned just north of the GM spur at Joslyn (though there was a wye here originally).

And, in answer to someone's question, the Romeo Sub from MAL Junction on the Holly in Pontiac to near Opdyke Road was abandoned in the 1930's when GTW built the Pontiac Belt Line and used it from Belt Line Junction to get to the Romeo Sub, winding its way around the east side of Pontiac to do so. This way Romeo sub trains could just leave out of Pontiac Yard. It reached GM's Yellow Cab Plant on the south side of Pontiac.

Supposedly the reason for building the Belt Line was to block NYC from building a line from its mainline in Rochester to reach all the auto plants being built in Pontiac. Sort of a physical barrier that NYC would have to seek permission to pass (and would not be given). GTW already serviced the Yellow Cab Plant from its Holly Sub mainline. And it already serviced the other GM plants in Pontiac via the PO&N mainline that started on the Holly Sub at the old depot on Huron Street. So though the Belt Line was an upgrade it really wasn't needed except as protection from NYC. It connected with the Holly Sub at MP 22.5 right behind my house at one time but supposedly after the first ceremonial train run that switch was spiked and never used again, all trains coming from the north out of Pontiac Yard over the Beltline.

The Pontiac Belt Line was very modern construction at the time with no at-grade road crossings and was signaled, typical of the heyday railroad construction years of the 1920's and 1930's in Michigan. The only part that still exists is from Belt Line Junction just west of Joslyn Road to Pontiac Yard.
Any idea what CN had in mind to sell the line for? i would assume that cost included the lost profits from the other company's on the line although there are few.

Manistique
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Manistique »

"Any idea what CN had in mind to sell the line for? i would assume that cost included the lost profits from the other company's on the line although there are few."

No idea. Probably would have just lease it or just contracted the operational service out. Often such lines are on the railroad books for much more than they are worth and it is an embarrassment if they outright sell it for market value and the shareholders find out.

dmitzel
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dmitzel »

Saw this article today - possible $3B as in ‘billions’ investment by GM being considered for the Orion plant for electric pickup production. Wondering if the volumes being projected would be sufficient to warrant reactivating the branch. https://insideevs.com/news/553881/rumor ... -michigan/
D.M. Mitzel
Div. 8-NCR-NMRA
Oxford, Mich.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

dmitzel wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:48 am
Saw this article today - possible $3B as in ‘billions’ investment by GM being considered for the Orion plant for electric pickup production. Wondering if the volumes being projected would be sufficient to warrant reactivating the branch. https://insideevs.com/news/553881/rumor ... -michigan/
There are better odds pick ups will be shipped directly from Orion than little cars that only people in California are buying
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

AARR wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:22 pm
dmitzel wrote:
There are better odds pick ups will be shipped directly from Orion than little cars that only people in California are buying
Hey now, I know a guy who owns one and he lives in Rochester Hills.

David Lang
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by David Lang »

Man I hope they could get Orion going again in terms of rail service.

That would mean more trains for the Holly Sub!!

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

dmitzel wrote:
Don't get your hopes up yet, nothing but rumors right now. The big question is even if the volume is there, is GM gonna pay what CN wants to move those vehicles.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Chip wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:08 pm
AARR wrote:
dmitzel wrote:
True, but it has a California license plate 😁
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

AARR wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:15 am
Chip wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:08 pm
AARR wrote:

True, but it has a California license plate 😁
It does?

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

conrailmike wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:10 am
dmitzel wrote:
Don't get your hopes up yet, nothing but rumors right now. The big question is even if the volume is there, is GM gonna pay what CN wants to move those vehicles.
If anything GM would rather truck it to LSRC in Buick City and load it there where they would gladly handle smaller carloads unlike CN.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer

Racer wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:15 pm
conrailmike wrote:
dmitzel wrote:
If anything GM would rather truck it to LSRC in Buick City and load it there where they would gladly handle smaller carloads unlike CN.
If it's a high volume seller like the current trucks then that seems doubtful. All the current full size trucks and full size SUVs are loaded on-site. Well, not exactly...SUVs at Arlington are actually trucked next door to UP's Garrett Yard

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Racer wrote:
conrailmike wrote:
dmitzel wrote:
Bro you out of touch? CN is running away w auto traffic in MI right now, bidding very aggressively and stealing a lot of biz from CR, NS and CSX.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

Bro you out of touch? CN is running away w auto traffic in MI right now, bidding very aggressively and stealing a lot of biz from CR, NS and CSX.
What is the emperical evidence?

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer

LansingRailFan wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:06 am
Racer wrote:
conrailmike wrote:

What traffic have they taken away?

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

conrailmike wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:11 am
LansingRailFan wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:06 am
Racer wrote:

What traffic have they taken away?
They have won bids on traffic from Jefferson North, Warren Truck, Sterling Heights, and Mack Avenue.

Jefferson North - Jeep Grand Cherokee; Warren Truck - Jeep Grand Wagoneer
Sterling Heights - Ram 1500
Mack Avenue - Jeep Grand Cherokee

They've been getting traffic from FCA Sterling Heights and Ford MAP for about 2 years. Jefferson North, Warren, and Mack are nuevo this year.

It’s been well known that they have made some aggressive bids this year on auto-loading traffic. I think the CSX/LSRC Flint thing pissed off some people. Might be some new sales people involved…

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

LansingRailFan wrote:They have won bids on traffic from Jefferson North, Warren Truck, Sterling Heights, and Mack Avenue.

Jefferson North - Jeep Grand Cherokee; Warren Truck - Jeep Grand Wagoneer
Sterling Heights - Ram 1500
Mack Avenue - Jeep Grand Cherokee

They've been getting traffic from FCA Sterling Heights and Ford MAP for about 2 years. Jefferson North, Warren, and Mack are nuevo this year.

It’s been well known that they have made some aggressive bids this year on auto-loading traffic. I think the CSX/LSRC Flint thing pissed off some people. Might be some new sales people involved…
Where are the offsite vehicles loaded? Lansing?