CN Lake Orion Sub - The end finally???

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: CN Lake Orion Sub - The end finally???

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

I think grade crossing accidents would be more likely where trains irregularly use a line versus a line where there are trains regularly. People tend to not look for a hazard when they don’t see the risk. Out of sight, out of mind.

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

Standard Railfan wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:39 am
I think grade crossing accidents would be more likely where trains irregularly use a line versus a line where there are trains regularly. People tend to not look for a hazard when they don’t see the risk. Out of sight, out of mind.

in this case there won't be any trains there, it's physically impossible. The line has been severed south of that point.

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

Also the rails become rusty and the grade crossing protection can't be relied on to work.
So the trains would need to stop and flag.

RoyalKingoftheRails
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by RoyalKingoftheRails »

So I caught the local L513 on Wednesday in the distance I think switching out a car for a lumberyard or some business over by Baldwin Avenue. I was hoping to see the train come through Price street since that's where I was standing. Does anyone know what business that was they were switching the railcar for and what day and time of the week the train runs through to the GM Stamping plant or the ferrous trading center?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Bolyard's transload is by Baldwin Ave. They got a center beam last week and seem to average 2-6 cars a month.

Ferrous Processing Trading is usually serviced on Wednesday afternoon. They seem to send out a car a week. Very disappointing for a scrap yard of that size. They could ship 20-30 a week but I don't know what the back story is for so few rail shipments.

GM Stamping, from what I am told, makes panels for Orion Assembly and will not be using rail service any longer. The parts shipped by rail were going to TX but they don't make parts for TX anymore from what I can tell.

My paper railroad, Pontiac Belt Line, has done a superior job marketing customers on this line :lol: . http://railroadfan.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=37881
RoyalKingoftheRails wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 11:42 am
So I caught the local L513 on Wednesday in the distance I think switching out a car for a lumberyard or some business over by Baldwin Avenue. I was hoping to see the train come through Price street since that's where I was standing. Does anyone know what business that was they were switching the railcar for and what day and time of the week the train runs through to the GM Stamping plant or the ferrous trading center?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

RoyalKingoftheRails
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 12:05 pm
Bolyard's transload is by Baldwin Ave. They got a center beam last week and seem to average 2-6 cars a month.

Ferrous Processing Trading is usually serviced on Wednesday afternoon. They seem to send out a car a week. Very disappointing for a scrap yard of that size. They could ship 20-30 a week but I don't know what the back story is for so few rail shipments.

GM Stamping, from what I am told, makes panels for Orion Assembly and will not be using rail service any longer. The parts shipped by rail were going to TX but they don't make parts for TX anymore from what I can tell.

My paper railroad, Pontiac Belt Line, has done a superior job marketing customers on this line :lol: . http://railroadfan.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=37881
I figured it was some type of Lumberyard. As far as Ferrous, the tracks were somewhat shiny that day so maybe they did run a train slowly through. I'm planning to go back up there again on Wednesday evening and maybe I'll get to see up closer L513 switch out the lumber car.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Sun May 15, 2022 1:01 pm
I figured it was some type of Lumberyard. As far as Ferrous, the tracks were somewhat shiny that day so maybe they did run a train slowly through. I'm planning to go back up there again on Wednesday evening and maybe I'll get to see up closer L513 switch out the lumber car.
Their times can vary but they've been to the scrap yard around 3pm the last few Wednesdays
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

RoyalKingoftheRails
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 5:21 pm
Sun May 15, 2022 1:01 pm
Their times can vary but they've been to the scrap yard around 3pm the last few Wednesdays
Oh ok, then I'm gonna try to catch it some time within the next couple weeks. I appreciate the info, also just wondering how do you know all about this line? Are you a railroad worker or something? Just wondering, I think it's amazing you know so much lol.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Sun May 15, 2022 10:41 pm
I appreciate the info, also just wondering how do you know all about this line? Are you a railroad worker or something? Just wondering, I think it's amazing you know so much lol.
I work nearby. There are a few other fellas who know more than me that post here now and then.

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

AARR wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 12:05 pm

Correct, Pontiac Metal Center stamps for Orion, a little for Flint (overflow maybe), and for Hamtramck (HUMMER EV). All those parts are of course shipped by truck.

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

There are two passenger cars currently on the Orion Branch

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

LansingRailFan wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 10:15 pm
Why? Storage?

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

LansingRailFan wrote:
Just saw a post on Facebook about this. Those are the Charter Wire cars. They are likely being positioned to go back to Milwaukee.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

On another post it was said the Orion Track is not in good condition.

It’s heavy rail built to handle many carloads of vehicle related traffic. It looks good to me.

Anyone know how to rate this track?

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

NS3322 wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 11:50 pm
LansingRailFan wrote:
Just saw a post on Facebook about this. Those are the Charter Wire cars. They are likely being positioned to go back to Milwaukee.
They were at Oakwood Yard. CN ran from FR to Oakwood to get them two nights ago. Now they up there, chillin' on a bridge.

Edit: P353 south at Birmingham at 9:00. Charter Steel cars on the headend.

GTW Dude
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTW Dude »

NS3322 wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 11:50 pm
LansingRailFan wrote:
Where on the branch are they located? I will head out there first thing after school if they are still there.

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

The amtrak thread said they left this morning

RoyalKingoftheRails
Railroadfan...fan

I’m out here at the Lake Orion branch as I’m writing this wish I had known earlier I was planning to come out here anyway today to try and catch L513.

GTW Dude
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTW Dude »

Is L513 switching on the branch today? If so I might see you out there ;)

RoyalKingoftheRails
Railroadfan...fan

I don’t know for sure someone in a previous comment said that they’ve been coming through to Ferris at 3 PM on Wednesdays