CN Lake Orion Sub - The end finally???

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
RoyalKingoftheRails
Railroadfan...fan

Re: CN Lake Orion Sub - The end finally???

Unread post by RoyalKingoftheRails »

Chip wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:15 pm
I thought it was determined that as of right now the only reason CN was maintaining crossing signals was because they’re required to since the line hasn’t been formally abandoned yet.
Well someone above did mention that there has been some action with the tracks in and out of the plant. So we'd have keep an eye on it for any changes in order for us to come to a conclusion on what will be happening... Fingers crossed for good luck!

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

We'll just have to be patient here. Electric Silverado and Sierra production is coming to Orion Assembly in early 2024 after a $4 billion renovation is finished. Presumably by then we'll be able to see if the Orion Branch will play a role.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Still shocked that this thread has been kept going as long as it has.

Keep an eye on the line. There's things I cannot say but there will be changes coming soon.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

MQT1223 wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:09 pm
There's things I cannot say but there will be changes coming soon.
You could state that you have an anonymous source, and at least provide a brief summary of the changes. Otherwise, that sentence isn't of much help.
Last edited by Steve B on Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

Steve B wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:28 pm
MQT1223 wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:09 pm
There's things I cannot say but there will be changes coming soon.
You could state that you have an anonymous source, and at least provide a brief summary of the changes. Otherwise, that sentence isn't of much help.
Or create a sock account. I’ve done that on Ford forums to vent about stuff since the company knows the identity of my main account.

GTW Dude
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTW Dude »

Just left Topgolf on the border of Auburn Hills and Lake Orion and unmistakably heard a locomotive horn. Is the local out of Pontiac working tonight? I’ve never heard them all the way out here before.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Usually they go to the scrap yard just around the corner from Top Golf on Wednesday but they will go to Bolyard Lumber Transload whenever there is a car for them.
GTW Dude wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:08 pm
Just left Topgolf on the border of Auburn Hills and Lake Orion and unmistakably heard a locomotive horn. Is the local out of Pontiac working tonight? I’ve never heard them all the way out here before.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

CN was seeking bidders for the line. The usual contenders bid on it. G&W was the high bidder. They are going through the paperwork process now. In tire GW form they started listing conductor jobs out of their new Detroit Office based on Garden City. They did the same thing 6 years ago when they prematurely posted 20 jobs on the TR up in Wisconsin for the lines Watco eventually got..
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

CAT345C wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:57 am
CN was seeking bidders for the line. The usual contenders bid on it. G&W was the high bidder. They are going through the paperwork process now. In tire GW form they started listing conductor jobs out of their new Detroit Office based on Garden City. They did the same thing 6 years ago when they prematurely posted 20 jobs on the TR up in Wisconsin for the lines Watco eventually got..
Are you sure about this? I think the job positings were listed incorrectly, as they redirect to Savannah Port Terminal Railroad in Garden City, GA.
G&W.JPG
G&W 3.JPG
Last edited by NS3322 on Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

plus no stb filing

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

The only thing that will come out of Orion on rails, will be finished trucks. No frames coming in like normal pickup production.

David Lang
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by David Lang »

Why no frames coming in Contrail Mike?

I was wondering this myself, is there a reason for this? I am interested in the information you provide given you are in the auto industry and are a great resource when it comes to these things.

Thank you.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

David Lang wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:44 am

I was wondering this myself, is there a reason for this? I am interested in the information you provide given you are in the auto industry and are a great resource when it comes to these things.

Thank you.
My understanding is that EVs typically ditch the usual body-on-frame model. Most EVs will likely be unibody, or what GM is currently calling "UltiBody."
https://www.repairerdrivennews.com/2022 ... -on-frame/
Last edited by NS3322 on Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Schteinkuh
Railcam Terrorizer

Unread post by Schteinkuh »

DaveO wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:06 am
plus no stb filing
What else can you expect from the most mortgaged shortline operator in the country?
According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyway because bees don't care what humans think is impossible.

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

NS3322 wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:29 am
David Lang wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:44 am

Thank you.
My understanding is that EVs typically ditch the usual body-on-frame model. Most EVs will likely be unibody, or what GM is currently calling "UltiBody."
https://www.repairerdrivennews.com/2022 ... -on-frame/
this is correct. They took a different approach than Ford did with the F-150 Lightning, which still has a traditional body-on-frame build.

RoyalKingoftheRails
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by RoyalKingoftheRails »

GTW Dude wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:08 pm
It’s possible sometimes they do work in the evening I’m currently out here on the local line as I’m writing this hoping to catch that Wednesday run to the scrap yard. Fingers crossed 🤞

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Schteinkuh wrote:
DaveO wrote:
plus no stb filing
What else can you expect from the most mortgaged shortline operator in the country?
G&W will not be operating this I can assure you.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

It's more of a Patriot Rail or another industrial spur type operator's operation
MQT1223 wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:02 pm
Schteinkuh wrote:
DaveO wrote:
plus no stb filing
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

AARR wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:07 pm
It's more of a Patriot Rail or another industrial spur type operator's operation
MQT1223 wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:02 pm
Schteinkuh wrote:

No shortline at all. CN will continue to run this in the future.