GM Flint Assembly Questions

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
GTWwatcher
Railroadfan...fan

GM Flint Assembly Questions

Unread post by GTWwatcher »

1. How many autoracks a day are loaded now after the expansion?

2. Does the plant get switched every shift?

3. Has the number of rack trains to/from Flint increased since the expansion?

4. Is the David Rd tower still used?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: GM Flint Assembly Questions

Unread post by AARR »

GTWwatcher wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:05 pm
1. How many autoracks a day are loaded now after the expansion?

2. Does the plant get switched every shift?
Last I heard CN pulls two 30 car blocks per day which are picked up by a local from Port Huron that runs them to Battle Creek. Things may have changed, though.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GTWwatcher
Railroadfan...fan

Hmmmm, not aware of any locals out of Port Huron besides L533

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Does L501 no longer run out of PH?
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

GTWwatcher
Railroadfan...fan

SD80MAC wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:56 pm
Does L501 no longer run out of PH?
L501 is now Flint to Battle Creek

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

Quick facts:
1. L533 works 6 days a week on the Mt. Clemens sub and ON THE SEVENTH DAY they run to Flint and back and also work Lapeer Industrial.
2. The Flint yard job/local R943/944 work the plant as well as the parts plant and there’s a couple of other industries.
3. A491/A492/L501 work Flint and take racks East or west as needed. L500 terminates in Flint and usually moves traffic to and from Durand.
4. GM, urgent to ship out cars faster to the east coast and CN, unwilling to short haul racks down to Toledo to interchange w CSX, allowed CSX and their autorack loading subsidiary to reopen the ramps at Buick City. Trucks are trucked over to Buick City and loaded onto racks there, hauled by LSRC to Wixom and then hauled by CSX south and east.

Man o' War
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Man o' War »

LansingRailFan wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:59 pm
Quick facts:
1. L533 works 6 days a week on the Mt. Clemens sub and ON THE SEVENTH DAY they run to Flint and back and also work Lapeer Industrial.
2. The Flint yard job/local R943/944 work the plant as well as the parts plant and there’s a couple of other industries.
3. A491/A492/L501 work Flint and take racks East or west as needed. L500 terminates in Flint and usually moves traffic to and from Durand.
4. GM, urgent to ship out cars faster to the east coast and CN, unwilling to short haul racks down to Toledo to interchange w CSX, allowed CSX and their autorack loading subsidiary to reopen the ramps at Buick City. Trucks are trucked over to Buick City and loaded onto racks there, hauled by LSRC to Wixom and then hauled by CSX south and east.
L533 works the MTC sub 7 days a week - and on one of those days will also work west on the Flint. FCA in Mount Clemens never sleeps. With the expanded GLR business in Fraser and the lumber and drywall business in Chesterfield, it is necessary to run daily.

Man o' War

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Man o' War wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:12 pm
LansingRailFan wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:59 pm
Quick facts:
L533 works the MTC sub 7 days a week - and on one of those days will also work west on the Flint. FCA in Mount Clemens never sleeps. With the expanded GLR business in Fraser and the lumber and drywall business in Chesterfield, it is necessary to run daily.

Man o' War
Cool. I was told it was 6/1. Good for them if they can make both at the same time! I do know that sometimes A491 or 492 has been known to work Lapeer as well, probably due to 533 not having enough time.

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

From my job on the line, I can usually see them switching autoracks and frames at least once during my shift, if that helps. It may have slowed down a little, all 3 shifts were laid off this week and 2 weeks ago only one shift was working. Lol, there aren't too many trucks shipping out right now due to a shortage of chips which leads to a shortage of ECM modules. We've got trucks all over Flint right now, including Swartz Creek and Bishop Airport.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

In the Trains Magazine article it says LSRC is handling 1,000 car loads a month from Flint. This is apparently traffic CN doesn't want because they would short haul it to Toledo and hand over to CSX. That is a significant amount of traffic CN is declining on.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

David Lang
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by David Lang »

I agree Don Simon.

1,000 car loads / 30 days per month = 33 loaded autoracks per day.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

From the other board
Posted by jim on 11/26/2021, 5:13 pm
Trains magazine's recent article about Lake State Railway stated that there are loads both in and outbound from Buick City in Flint. Would those inbound loads be auto parts traveling there in 86 foot auto parts boxcars? Anybody know?
I didn't recall the article saying LSRC's Buick City auto loading yard was handling inbound vehicles. But I don't think they would handle inbound autoparts but as LSRC has been at developing new business maybe they are.

As a side note it seems autoparts, including light weight items like plastic components and stampings, are loaded into 60' hi cube box cars more than 86's.

CN receives autoparts at the giant warehouse in Swartz Creek IIRC.

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

I drove over the Dye Rd. crossing earlier this month and can confirm the Swartz Creek CCA facility is still receiving 86 footers.

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:43 am
In the Trains Magazine article it says LSRC is handling 1,000 car loads a month from Flint. This is apparently traffic CN doesn't want because they would short haul it to Toledo and hand over to CSX. That is a significant amount of traffic CN is declining on.
They seem to get a handful of inbound loaded autoracks a week. Mostly out of Mexico it seems.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thank you LRF
LansingRailFan wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:30 am
AARR wrote:
They seem to get a handful of inbound loaded autoracks a week. Mostly out of Mexico it seems.

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

LansingRailFan wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:30 am
AARR wrote:
Last time I drove by the lot across from Buick City, it looks like they're also getting a lot of vehicles from Arlington, TX. as there was a lot of full size SUVs out there.

As for Swartz Creek, they're just a warehouse/packaging facility. It could be anything going into those 86' cars nowadays. Used to be only the big things like axles, engines, transmissions would be shipped in those but GM cut a lot of that out when "just in time" shipping came into play.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

From LSRC's most recent news letter is information about their Flint Vehicle Distribution Center (VDC)
https://www.lsrc.com/wp-content/uploads ... letter.pdf

Also, an interesting article about how they are handling steel coil rod in box cars

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I watch several YouTube channels that show the daily LSRC train from Flint to Toledo. I have not seen any auto racks in their consist for a while. Is LSRC still handling vehicles in Flint?

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

AARR wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:10 pm
I watch several YouTube channels that show the daily LSRC train from Flint to Toledo. I have not seen any auto racks in their consist for a while. Is LSRC still handling vehicles in Flint?
This video from Thursday shows the southbound hauling autoracks through Grand Blanc:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4544276 ... 321033260/

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:10 pm
They get racks when they can. It’s spotty at best. If CSX gets 200 racks a day into Michigan and potentially needs those all in New Boston, LSRC won’t get any allocated.