Ford Dearborn Question

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
GTWwatcher
Railroadfan...fan

Ford Dearborn Question

Unread post by GTWwatcher »

Is it correct that all Class 1s in Detroit (minus CP obviously) serve the plant? Which railroad gets the autorack business?

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Re: Ford Dearborn Question

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Depends if you are limiting it just to Ford or the Rouge Complex as a whole. I think only CN serves the Ford portion of the plant, frames in, autoracks out, and parts out in those 86’ boxcars from the stamping plant.

CR and CSX serve the steel side of the complex. NS and CN may interchange cars to those roads to or from the steel mill, but I think only CSX and CR offer direct access to the steel side.

I might also be wrong and look forward to being corrected!

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

Not familiar of any Conrail service to Ford Dearborn.

The NS 414 and 415 are the unit coke trains to Severstal that uses the Conrail Junction Runner and Michigan Line.

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

Conrail switches cars off the Junction yard runner. The steel side (AK).

Fred
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Fred »

Before Conrail came to be, Livernois yard had a day job that delivered cars to Fords at Miller Road. The train had to be blocked as well: loaded boxes, mty boxes, loaded gons, and loaded hoppers. Typical run was 25-30 cars in, same amount out, however there were days where 60 cars out also occured.

KenB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KenB »

The Ford Rouge complex has two railroads. The AK-Cliffs side has their own locomotives and the Ford side is switched by Canac who sub's it out to CN. NS can access the steel side off the Junction Yard Branch at Gate 10. NS, CSXT can access both plants at Fordson Yard. CN comes in on the former D&I from the south. Conrail can also access at Gate 10 and Fordson yard.
CN has all of the outbound auto rack business. NS delivers coke to the steel side at Fordson yard. CSXT handles the steel from AK, slabs out, coil in. CN handles the XL cars and frame flats but does deliver and pull from the NS at Oakwood Jct.