PH&D Historical Society former treasurer embezzlement

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

PH&D Historical Society former treasurer embezzlement

Unread post by Steve B »

https://www.thetimesherald.com/story/ne ... 899976002/

Always need frequent inspections of the books by multiple officers, in any group.

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Re: PH&D Historical Society former treasurer embezzlement

Unread post by David Collins »

Oh good lord…
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

This is why you never allow for a setup where there is just a single person who can/does see the books. Either a Treasurer and Asst. Treasurer, a Treasurer and a Financial Secretary, a Financial Committee, WHATEVER....multiple eyes can prevent this sort of inappropriate activity from taking place. Some people take advantage because the situation presents itself.....I'm glad this guy is getting jail time. I suspect the jail experience is a bit more.....memorable....than just a slap on the wrist. Good on the judge.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

GP30M4216 wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:10 pm
I'm glad this guy is getting jail time. I suspect the jail experience is a bit more.....memorable....than just a slap on the wrist. Good on the judge.
Depending on one's culture, experiencing incarceration could be just be equivalent to a vacation, slap on the wrist, or just a cost of doing business.

Depending on one's personal wealth and how their wealth was obtained, paying restitution may also not be that painful.

A work camp paid at minimum wage with room and board deducted from pay may bring better character change and set a better example to eliminate these such occurances.

While incarcerated, no need to work, no need to worry about bills, duties, healthcare, getting ahead in life, etc. Free meals, games and recreation, healthcare, 3 meals a day, free bathroom,s with showers, and a mattress to sleep on can't be that bad while everyone on the outside must earn their basic necessities.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

The charge Mr. Harvey pled guilty to was larceny $200 or less and that's because most of what he took was $$ not physical items. The $200 or less included a handful of items that a dollar value could be assigned to. It doesn't include financial records he took from the previous treasurer and didn't return upon resignation (and which, to the best of my knowledge, remain in his sole possession to this day).

Keep in mind, this is the same Steven Harvey who founded and was president of the American Steam Railroad group (think Reading T-1 2100 restoration). I don't agree with all of the opinions voiced by one Jason Sobczynski on Facebook last month following the Society's post about Mr. Harvey's plea bargain. However I do agree that the industry needs to acknowledge who the bad actors are- by name- not just the generic title and the organization they victimized (i.e. ex-Treasurer).

For what it's worth, outside of a passion for steam preservation, Mr. Harvey is an IT professional- and who wants to hire a convicted felon for IT work?

Three months in jail isn't that much for what the original charge was ("EMBEZZLEMENT-AGENT OR TRUSTEE $1000. OR MORE LESS $20,000.00") but there was quite a bit of speculation (prior to sentencing a couple days ago) that he'd get away with just probation in light of what the charge was reduced to. It's a whole lot better than nothing, which is what the Society had for the better part of a year following the discovery of what had happened.

In the end, it's not just about the money that was taken. Much damage was done to the Society's goodwill that can't be quantified with a dollar value as a result of Mr. Harvey's actions.

As far as going to work camp and getting charged for one's stay- he's in the county jail for the 93 days. In St. Clair County you get a bill from the jail for the expense of housing you following your release from jail. It's not 93 days of living on the county's dime.

There's a lot more that I want to say about the matter, but I don't believe this is the place to share it. The long-term damage to railroad preservation in the Port Huron area as a result of Mr. Harvey's actions (both the theft and refusal to follow through on certain other purchases authorized by the Society's board of directors) is significant, although it may not be totally visible for some time to come.
~ Charles W.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

As far as going to work camp and getting charged for one's stay- he's in the county jail for the 93 days. In St. Clair County you get a bill from the jail for the expense of housing you following your release from jail. It's not 93 days of living on the county's dime.
It is the counties (or someone's) expense until the bill is paid. And how many criminals and non criminals actually pay their bills ? What happens if the jail bill is not paid? back to jail?

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

ConrailDetr​oit wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:01 am
It is the counties (or someone's) expense until the bill is paid. And how many criminals and non criminals actually pay their bills ? What happens if the jail bill is not paid? back to jail?
In this particular case, I would certainly hope so.
~ Charles W.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

GreatLakesRailfan wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:13 am
ConrailDetr​oit wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:01 am
In this particular case, I would certainly hope so.
Unfortunate for upstanding taxpayers.