Copper mining set to resume in White Pine

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Copper mining set to resume in White Pine

Unread post by Buster Manning »

there are reports of some WSOR engines over on the Canadian side of the Soo in the former AC yard......thinkin' I read that it was 3 SD-40 types.....maybe those are the ones you saw

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

AARR wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:06 pm
If it's like most other businesses they can't hire enough people
Super Chief wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:44 pm
What's holding up their take over of the Newberry line now?
They have hired crews and are training over on the WSOR for the GDLK Munising line and for the FOXY. The hold up for both lines is still the STB approval. The engine(s) for FOXY and Munising are sitting in Horicon WI awaiting the approval and there are 4 WSOR SD40-2’s sitting at Steelton yard in Sault Ste. Marie ON awaiting that start up.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Super Chief wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:52 am
I use to talk to the purchasing agent there when it was Kimberly Clark every week. I always wondered if the state was helping out in some way with economic funds or whatever? Their pulp was always imported but you never saw pulpcars from Seney or surrounding areas. SOO, WC & CN have always switched it and it's always stood its ground for being Munising 2nd largest employer after the National Forest people. It's a survivor for sure.
CN basically promised the STB that they would not abandon anything from the WC during the acquisition process, because the STB and others were concerned that CN would buy up the WC, keep the core mainline they really wanted, and liquidate the rest. This is probably why the White Line and other lines have been left out of service, but not ripped up.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Cucorailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Cucorailfan »

Super Chief wrote:
I use to talk to the purchasing agent there when it was Kimberly Clark every week. I always wondered if the state was helping out in some way with economic funds or whatever? Their pulp was always imported but you never saw pulpcars from Seney or surrounding areas. SOO, WC & CN have always switched it and it's always stood its ground for being Munising 2nd largest employer after the National Forest people. It's a survivor for sure.
The mill in Munising? It was the LS&I, WC, then CN that switched it. The LS&I had an RS-3 stationed there in the late 80s early 90s (I forget both when they took up the line connecting it to the rest of the LS&I and the date exactly when WC took over).

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

Saturnalia wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:51 pm
Super Chief wrote:
CN basically promised the STB that they would not abandon anything from the WC during the acquisition process, because the STB and others were concerned that CN would buy up the WC, keep the core mainline they really wanted, and liquidate the rest. This is probably why the White Line and other lines have been left out of service, but not ripped up.
The story I had heard for years from high level CN management was that they paid the same price per mile of track for the WC across the board and to sell it in pieces would show a loss and affect high level bonuses. Along come the pandemic and companies showing a loss what better time to ditch a bunch of lines that don't make them money.

I feel like the delay in the sale is going to doom Watco at least on the Newberry Sub. At any given time in the winter I counted 6 men keeping that line clear of snow. Two snowfighters and a speed swing. Gonna be a interesting operation when it starts.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e