Refrigerated Box Car Customers in Eastern MI

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Refrigerated Box Car Customers in Eastern MI

Unread post by AARR »

Post by GP30M4216 »

Broadening the scope a bit, what customers in the Detroit area ship or receive product in reefers? I head that the Detroit Produce Terminal no longer receives by rail. Seems like there was another produce outfit on the Terminal East that got reefers. Where else?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Refrigerated Box Car Customers in Eastern MI

Unread post by AARR »

Good question GP30. Other than the one you mentioned I'm not aware of any other customers.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Avnx
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Avnx »

LaGrasso Bros Produce at the very end of Terminal East has a spur and has received refrigerated box cars in the past.

iNFEKT
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by iNFEKT »

Is Twin City Foods the only refrigerated car customer in the state? If so are there any large refrigerated car customers nearby? Ohio? Indiana?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I think WMI has a customer that gets refrigerated box cars and GDLK might have one too.
iNFEKT wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 10:58 pm
Is Twin City Foods the only refrigerated car customer in the state? If so are there any large refrigerated car customers nearby? Ohio? Indiana?

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Lineage Logistics in Hartford on the WMI, Michigan Natural Storage in Wyoming on CSX, and Twin City Foods in Lake Odessa on CSX are the only reefer customers on the west side of the state, to my knowledge.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

iNFEKT
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by iNFEKT »

SD80MAC wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 10:14 am
Lineage Logistics in Hartford on the WMI, Michigan Natural Storage in Wyoming on CSX, and Twin City Foods in Lake Odessa on CSX are the only reefer customers on the west side of the state, to my knowledge.
Are there any in the eastern part of the state or would I have to go to Indiana or Ohio to see some?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I can't think of any around the Detroit area which is amazing because you would think Detroit would be a hub for a major distributer.
iNFEKT wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 12:41 pm
Are there any in the eastern part of the state or would I have to go to Indiana or Ohio to see some?

iNFEKT
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by iNFEKT »

It is pretty surprising given the size of the city and the demands for fresh food. I wonder if there are any customers in Toledo assuming that would be the closest place with refrigerated cars to Detroit

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

AARR wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 2:51 pm
I can't think of any around the Detroit area which is amazing because you would think Detroit would be a hub for a major distributer.
iNFEKT wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 12:41 pm
Maybe if the Detroit Produce Terminal still shipped by rail.

jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jimnorthwood »

"I wonder if there are any customers in Toledo assuming that would be the closest place with refrigerated cars to Detroit"

ND&W serves a couple of cold storage warehouses in Napoleon. At least one, perhaps both, get reefers. The product is then trucked from the cold storage warehouse(s) to the nearby Campbells plant. Most of the ND&W's business consists of tomato paste for Campbells, but that is shipped in boxcars.

There are no customers in Toledo that get reefers. When Amtrak was in the freight business they shipped a lot of lemons to Toledo. Those were offloaded at the Amtrak station. I always assumed those lemons were then trucked to Detroit, but I have no direct evidence of that.

iNFEKT
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by iNFEKT »

jimnorthwood wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 4:21 pm
"I wonder if there are any customers in Toledo assuming that would be the closest place with refrigerated cars to Detroit"

ND&W serves a couple of cold storage warehouses in Napoleon. At least one, perhaps both, get reefers. The product is then trucked from the cold storage warehouse(s) to the nearby Campbells plant. Most of the ND&W's business consists of tomato paste for Campbells, but that is shipped in boxcars.

There are no customers in Toledo that get reefers. When Amtrak was in the freight business they shipped a lot of lemons to Toledo. Those were offloaded at the Amtrak station. I always assumed those lemons were then trucked to Detroit, but I have no direct evidence of that.
Wow thanks for the info! I just moved back from Upstate New York, where reefers were pretty plentiful. I don't even know where to catch one outside of the western part of the state. I would have figured Toledo, and Ohio and Indiana for that matter would be full of them with Chicago so close near by

michaelmuha
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by michaelmuha »

Anyone have photos of the kind of refrigerated cars that travel in Michigan?

Andy24
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Andy24 »

michaelmuha wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 9:29 am
Here are 2 empty “reefers” short for refrigerated cars on two M327 (Grand Rapids to Chicago runs). Both reefers were used in Hartford, MI. I could be wrong on this as well. I also saw juice reefers on the m326 and m327 runs as well.
Attachments
M327 on 5/17
M327 on 5/17
M327 on 5/18
M327 on 5/18
Average railfan reporter on Grand Rapids Sub, Plymouth Sub, and Area Short Lines Railroads.

Follow my channel for more: https://www.youtube.com/@ATARP24

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Andy24 wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 10:08 am
michaelmuha wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 9:29 am
Here are 2 empty “reefers” short for refrigerated cars on two M327 (Grand Rapids to Chicago runs). Both reefers were used in Hartford, MI. I could be wrong on this as well. I also saw juice reefers on the m326 and m327 runs as well.
The BNSF cars go to Twin City Foods in Lake Odessa.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

michaelmuha
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by michaelmuha »

Nice photos. Thanks Andy24, and thanks for the extra information SD80MAC - I'm planning to model Twin City Foods on my model railroad so the photos and info are really useful for me to find the right Refrigerated Box Cars to buy (and probably repaint...)

Andy24
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Andy24 »

michaelmuha wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 10:27 am
Nice photos. Thanks Andy24, and thanks for the extra information SD80MAC - I'm planning to model Twin City Foods on my model railroad so the photos and info are really useful for me to find the right Refrigerated Box Cars to buy (and probably repaint...)
If you watch this cam daily and notice the Local L301 freight train pull some reefers to the Hartford location, they are non BNSF cars
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNDikcUtmJs
Average railfan reporter on Grand Rapids Sub, Plymouth Sub, and Area Short Lines Railroads.

Follow my channel for more: https://www.youtube.com/@ATARP24

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

michaelmuha wrote:
Someone just announced refrigerated HO scale cars and I think a BNSF scheme was one of the schemes. I can’t remember who it was that announced tho.

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

LansingRailFan wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 8:35 pm
michaelmuha wrote:
Someone just announced refrigerated HO scale cars and I think a BNSF scheme was one of the schemes. I can’t remember who it was that announced tho.
Boop it was scaletrains

https://www.scaletrains.com/ho-scale.ht ... ability=40

Scroll down and you’ll see three BNSF ones.

iNFEKT
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by iNFEKT »

I did make it out to see some reefers at Twin City Foods, they had 6 in total. Said they generally came from the yard in Lansing