Plymouth Train app for blocked streets

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Sean N
Railroadfan...fan

Plymouth Train app for blocked streets

Unread post by Sean N »

Per an email from the city of Plymouth:

Plymouth Trains App: City of Plymouth News & Alerts
Inbox

notification@civiclive.com

The City of Plymouth and Integrated Traffic Systems LLC have collaborated to help solve an age-old problem in town – avoiding train delays.

train app
The Plymouth Trains app allows users to receive a notification and an estimated waiting time when a train is blocking the road. There are settings to let you receive notifications all the time or for just a specific time or day of the week. Another optional setting uses your location and sends a notification when you’re within range of a blocked crossing. The “chance of train” feature can help you plan your trip by seeing the likelihood of a blocked crossing.

The app is still in development and is currently active for only the Farmer St. crossing. We are working through infrastructure and technology issues to cover the remaining crossings in the City.

The app is available on the Apple App Store. An Android version is in the works.
Sean

Boxcar54
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Plymouth Train app for blocked streets

Unread post by Boxcar54 »

I grew up in Plymouth but left in the late 1960's when my Uncle Sam requested my services for several years. I remember reading articles in the Plymouth Mail (remember that?) about C&O engineers getting ticketed for blocking crossings. I guess that it's still a problem.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

estimated waiting time when a train is blocking the road.
Seems it may be quite inaccurate, unless the app is very smart and has access inside information.

Pie39
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Pie39 »

So this'll actually be a useful tool for fanning in the area, potentially. We just need it to tell us which route the train is taking :D
Modeling the Ann Arbor Railroad in the 70's in N scale.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7JFDy ... ja0S1o7Q9A

KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KVERBERK »

I downloaded the app just for fun. It only shows Farmer street. But it does have a webcam. Kind of fun to randomly open the app and see a train going through.
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan