grand trunk on tsby in 1992

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
AndrewsTrains
Railroadfan...fan

grand trunk on tsby in 1992

Unread post by AndrewsTrains »

bl2's video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXNUNNExLKg.
gtw was on tsby can someone explain that operation to me
as we say on the garret sub for csx q003 and q004 clearin a signal Highball
Or on the plymouth Clear 49

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: grand trunk on tsby in 1992

Unread post by AARR »

Shows a northbound GTW freight on TSBY track through Howell. I'd guess GTW was using that as a detour but maybe someone else has better information.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

AndrewsTrains
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AndrewsTrains »

AARR wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 8:02 pm
Shows a northbound GTW freight on TSBY track through Howell. I'd guess GTW was using that as a detour but maybe someone else has better information.
bl2 saw it so he should be best source
as we say on the garret sub for csx q003 and q004 clearin a signal Highball
Or on the plymouth Clear 49

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

He said in the comments he couldn't remember specifics but did remember something about a derailment somewhere along the GTW

On another note I love that Chessie paint.

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

Probably have to wait another 29 years to see auto racks and 86 foot hi cubes passing by the Howell Depot.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

One other somewhat ironic twist to that is the two GTW units that ran on the run through train. 6409 and 6419. These two units were EX-DT&I units. Don't think they ever ran on the Ann Arbor, as they were not built until the early 1970's, but it is interesting given the connection between the railroads.

BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

Unread post by BL2-1843 »

Had dig deep to find some answers on this one. It helped to know the date on the video of the train just before, and again after, of the GTW train on TSBY at Howell. This narrowed it down to an eleven day period in June of 1992. Between my daily log sheets, and the fact I have kept a daily journal (diary) since I was eleven years old came up with this: The day prior to the video showing this train, while at work, I saw another GTW train go north on TSBY in Howell which had units 5705+6222+5813 at 9:33 am with GTW caboose 79193 on the rear. 6222 should have been another ex DT&I unit.

The following day, I was working in Lakeland when I saw another northbound coming up TSBY so made a quick call to my son at home to tell him and he rode his bike over to the Howell depot with my video camera to video the train. Thus, the reason there was no date and time on the video because he did not know how to manually put it on, This one of course had units 6409+2132csx,6418 with GT cab 79194, one number higher than the day before.

BOTH my diary and log sheets, said during this two day period of June 25th & June 26th 1992, CSX was totally shut down on a two day strike. What this had to do with these GTW trains running on TSBY I am not sure, nor do I remember what this strike was all about. Perhaps someone else can shed some light on the strike. For now, this at least sheds some more light on Andrew's question.