Strange new addition on GLC Grawn branch

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Strange new addition on GLC Grawn branch

Unread post by TC Man »

I noticed this morning driving along the GLC Grawn branch where the county is putting in a bike/walk trail extension along the tracks that there is a newly installed 4x4 post right next to the tracks (in the ballast) with some sort of a signal/device on the top that would be about eye level for a train crew. It's wired (not connected yet, but wires hanging from it). About 1/8 mile down the track (next to the NMC University Center campus entrance) there will be grade crossing for the trail (all new ties have been installed and the trail graded on both sides just short of the tracks). I wonder if there will be some sort of new-technology grade crossing protection installed there involving this strange new addition? I'd get a pic, but it's down a steep hill from the road with nowhere to pull off safely.
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Strange new addition on GLC Grawn branch

Unread post by TC Man »

No guesses at all? LOL.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

A picture would help.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

bnsfben
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bnsfben »

Probably one of those signals that point toward the train to confirm the crossing has activated. For some reason, GLC has elected to use those.

Was that an old Ann Arbor thing? GLC is the only railroad I’ve seen use it regularly.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

bnsfben wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:52 pm
Probably one of those signals that point toward the train to confirm the crossing has activated. For some reason, GLC has elected to use those.

Was that an old Ann Arbor thing? GLC is the only railroad I’ve seen use it regularly.
The Indiana Northeastern has them, too, typically in the form of a crossing gate light mounted on the top of a cross buck. My guess is that because some branch lines are infrequent traffic, rusty rails could prevent the crossing protection from activating correctly, and this makes it more obvious to the crew.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

That's not what this is (all GLC crossing signals have those though). This is several hundred yards before the crossing. I'll try to get a pic.

R Bedell
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by R Bedell »

A picture would help.
I second that.