My first Railfanning Mistake.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
MikeB89
Railroadfan...fan

My first Railfanning Mistake.

Unread post by MikeB89 »

So I've been posting updates about Amtrak as I wanted to watch them tonight coming into the train station in Grand Rapids.

It of course is dark out and I'm in my car. Well I got called out big time on the radio and I absolutely feel really bad about it.

Conductor called out the crossing being protected and the engineer said his little response about it. He the said "it's really nice when we are trying to work and have bright car headlights directly in our eyes". Said it right on the radio.

I knew he was talking about me so I immediately turned my headlights off. As they were pulling back into the station after the maneuver the conductor had his bright high beam flashlight pointing right into my window blinding me.

I'm honestly not mad at them for doing that. I got what I deserved and I feel exceptionally bad. I wanted to pull into the station and apologize so much but wanted to save my embarrassment. Usually I turn my headlights off but slipped my mind.

Boxcar54
Railroadfan...fan

Re: My first Railfanning Mistake.

Unread post by Boxcar54 »

Everybody screws up sometimes. Learn from your mistake and move on.

MikeB89
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MikeB89 »

Boxcar54 wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:08 am
Oh of course no doubt at all. I guess I never even expected a train crew to say something right on the airwaves. It is a lesson learned. These guys have a lot to pay attention to and my headlights didn't help one bit. The train crew probably knew it was me cause I've chatted with them at the station plenty of times.

It was a good watch though. Always enjoy it.

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

G-Root Liska wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:24 am
Boxcar54 wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:08 am
Oh of course no doubt at all. I guess I never even expected a train crew to say something right on the airwaves. It is a lesson learned. These guys have a lot to pay attention to and my headlights didn't help one bit. The train crew probably knew it was me cause I've chatted with them at the station plenty of times.

It was a good watch though. Always enjoy it.
Remember that the next time you see guys flashing crews for photo ops.

BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

Unread post by BL2-1843 »

I have gotten called out by numerous railroad employees in the nearly 51 years I have lived trackside here in Howell by my bright flood lights I use to shine up the trains at night when they go by the house. Mainly by one female employee especially, and I was in no way interfering with their work or job. Did not bother me any as if they did not like them then look straight ahead, when they go by, where they should be, and not directly into the lights My only goal was to be able to see the locomotive numbers.

Now days with this site and so many contributors to it, plus the lack of trains compared to the old days, I rarely have them on because I know what will be on it advance. Instead, give them a high ball with a smaller flashlight, to which I normally get one back from them. The only exception is when there is a crew on that is not calling signals, as if they were trying their best to "sneak by me" which does little because I know how much time it takes to get here after the DD's go off at MP 64.0 and 39.1 and they get more lights than they would otherwise. Beside that, there are numerous other "fans" who live by who have flood lights as well that a motion activated. Mine, when on, are ALWAYS manually turned on by me.

MikeB89
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MikeB89 »

BL2-1843 wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:25 am
I have gotten called out by numerous railroad employees in the nearly 51 years I have lived trackside here in Howell by my bright flood lights I use to shine up the trains at night when they go by the house. Mainly by one female employee especially, and I was in no way interfering with their work or job. Did not bother me any as if they did not like them then look straight ahead, when they go by, where they should be, and not directly into the lights My only goal was to be able to see the locomotive numbers.

Now days with this site and so many contributors to it, plus the lack of trains compared to the old days, I rarely have them on because I know what will be on it advance. Instead, give them a high ball with a smaller flashlight, to which I normally get one back from them. The only exception is when there is a crew on that is not calling signals, as if they were trying their best to "sneak by me" which does little because I know how much time it takes to get here after the DD's go off at MP 64.0 and 39.1 and they get more lights than they would otherwise. Beside that, there are numerous other "fans" who live by who have flood lights as well that a motion activated. Mine, when on, are ALWAYS manually turned on by me.
In all honesty a flood light on your own property isn't an excuse for them. I did think about it too when I got called out. What about cars stopped at the crossings when they're down the switching maneuver.

However, I was pretty close to the tracks with my headlights pretty.pointing in their view of direction which was still bad on my part.

However, I also think this was a different crew from the ones I'm interacted with before. The voice on the scanner was much different.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Crews that aren't calling signals aren't trying to sneak by, they're just being lazy.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

There is a difference between a flood light on one's own property and a flood light covering a neighbor's property.

Where I work we put in new parking lot lights and the zoning specifically stated that the bulbs could not be seen off of our property. The approval given was to fully light OUR property - not shine lights onto our neighbor's yards and houses. And while one cannot tell the exact property line based on where the light is cast, it is fairly close. The only light that leaves the property is reflected off of surfaces such as the cars and the parking lot (and we have privacy fencing to help prevent car headlights from lighting up the neighbor's houses from our parking lots).

Besides being required by zoning it is part of being a good neighbor. My security lights at home are aimed onto my property. They may illuminate when motion is detected off property, but the light cast is focused on my side of the property line. I don't need to focus the brightest light on my neighbor's house to provide security to mine.

Intentionally putting bright lights focused on a neighbor's property? Not polite. You probably could make up some lie about trying to protect your property from violent criminals who may invade your property from the railroad property. But it would be a lie. Your lights don't have to be shining in the cab windows of passing trains to provide security to your property.

If you love trains so much please stop annoying the people operating them.

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

You should have been around when engineers forgot to dim their lights at meets. One was bad at that and also when coming into the yard. I would go to the road channel and just say, "Are you lost?" and the light would immediatly go dim. Engineer was a good guy too and we loved to rib him about it.
And yeah, just turn off the lights and fagedaboudit. S*it happens.
And BL2, the female you're talking about (I think anyway) has left the company...close to having 25 years...for some really stupid reason. She hated her pictures being taken, taping, etc, etc. and I could never figure it out. She didn't like railfans at all. Worse things to worry about IMHO then railfans.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

The person in question left because CSX has become an absolutely miserable place to work. Nothing stupid about that at all.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Yes, yes it is. Throw away your pension? That is totally insane.
Oh and this place was bad before you ever showed up Jon. You have no idea. Have some balls.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

Indeed....25 years of tier 2 that she won't get but other railroaders like Dok and I (at some point in 2027) and the other 'rails on here who retired or will retire will indirectly get some of that $$$ from the pool that railroaders contribute to.....thank you

C&O Dispatcher
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by C&O Dispatcher »

I paid in 26 years to RRB and still get a tier II payment. My annuity is reduced somewhat because I started taking it at 64 instead of waiting to full retirement age of 66. I'm not sorry that I left railroading when I did, and I don't consider myself stupid for doing so! I also worked another 18 years doing "other things" which enhanced the SSEB. All is well.

BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

Unread post by BL2-1843 »

Doktor No wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:52 pm
BL2, the female you're talking about (I think anyway) has left the company...close to having 25 years...for some really stupid reason. She hated her pictures being taken, taping, etc. and I could never figure it out. She didn't like railfans at all.
That sounds like her. K.B. after losing her job in GRP worked out of Detroit for awhile but eventually came back to GRP before she departed altogether. Her biggest beef over the radio was I may cause personal injury accidents from cars going up and down our side street, the only interference between the lights and the tracks. In 51 years that has never happened. Like you say Dok, she was probably just ticked because someone was watching her going by. Its not like the lights on are on all night, only when the train goes by. And, if really bothers certain railroaders, I say just get a grip, because it doesn't bother me, And as I get closer to my 80th birthday, in never will. Those that have a beef about it, so be it.

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

C'est la vie BL2.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Back in the 80's my friend Scott and I got to know the afternoon yard master and crew at Botsford pretty well. As long as we stayed off the track and off the equipment we could hang around the yard and on weekends could usually ride out to Kilgore with them. The conductor and brakeman were old Pennsylvania guys and preferred to switch with hand signals when they could. One evening as it was getting dark we drove down along the yard lead. Carl the conductor walked toward the car so Scott stopped and put his window down. Carl picked up a spike and with a little color said if Scott wanted to keep his head lights he would turn them off next time he drove along the yard lead.

As for quitting the railroad I know a guy quit CN after 15 years. Most people said he was crazy but he will tell you he knows when his days off are, he doesn't spend every holiday setting in Chicago waiting to come back and lives a better life.