Michigan Shore RR Question

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
MS Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Michigan Shore RR Question

Unread post by MS Railfan »

Hello everyone, I have recently been hearing the MSRR at about 9:30 to 10:30 PM at night (as I live about a mile and half from the tracks) and was wondering if anyone knew any other information about this as I know that they used to run only at night a few years ago. For the past 2 maybe 3 years It has been a lot easier to chase them since their normal run time was every other day during the morning and afternoon (usually). Does anyone know if they are going back to their old nightly run time and if so why? I am guessing it is a cost issue as I know they would most likely be one of the first to get booted from the G&W system for that very reason. Thanks.
Got to go, I hear a train coming... :D

Talk
Keeps Talking

Re: Michigan Shore RR Question

Unread post by Talk »

MS Railfan wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:29 am
Hello everyone, I have recently been hearing the MSRR at about 9:30 to 10:30 PM at night (as I live about a mile and half from the tracks) and was wondering if anyone knew any other information about this as I know that they used to run only at night a few years ago. For the past 2 maybe 3 years It has been a lot easier to chase them since their normal run time was every other day during the morning and afternoon (usually). Does anyone know if they are going back to their old nightly run time and if so why? I am guessing it is a cost issue as I know they would most likely be one of the first to get booted from the G&W system for that very reason. Thanks.
This was a result of COVID-19 and the fact they share crews with the GRE. I've noticed that the GRE is running about the time the MS used too... Why exactly the switch however, I don't know.
Last edited by Talk on Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Talk also posts updates about Michigan Shore going through Grand Haven on this thread:
viewtopic.php?t=37702
MS Railfan - guessing you are somewhere on the south side of Muskegon, or further south then? MS runs during the day around Muskegon to switch industries, and up towards Fremont and Berry Junction.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Talk
Keeps Talking

Unread post by Talk »

~Z~ wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:54 am
MS Railfan - guessing you are somewhere on the south side of Muskegon, or further south then? MS runs during the day around Muskegon to switch industries, and up towards Fremont and Berry Junction.
You can catch the MSRR working North Yard in in the early mornings swapping out Bottom Ash Gons also, However that "operation" doesn't leave the yard. I'd recommend you stop by North Yard soon before 2025 leaves, Probably the only time you will get it in Daylight again.

Railroads don't care about the Time they run as long as they are making money
~Z~ wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:54 am
Talk also posts updates about Michigan Shore going through Grand Haven on this thread:
I really should get back to posting those... :lol:

Here is a tip! It usually takes about 3 Hours for the MSRR to go from Grand Haven to Waverly and Back to Grand Haven... N800/E800 are well known to make me a liar with that statement :lol:

kd_1014
Mike

Unread post by kd_1014 »

GRE only uses the MS crew(s) if the usual GRE/MMRR crew(s) are unavailable or the GRE run is a bigger priority than the MS. GRE is very rare to run at night, although it has happened a few times this year.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Actually, the GRE usually runs more with MS crews than with the MMRR crew, especially this year.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

MS Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MS Railfan »

Thanks for the info everyone!
Got to go, I hear a train coming... :D