EJ&E Heritage Unit

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
GTW
Railroadfan...fan

EJ&E Heritage Unit

Unread post by GTW »

EJ&E Heritage Unit at South Bend now. Coming east on #492 leading.

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: EJ&E Heritage Unit

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

Spotted in BC yard still as of 3:35.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

This should've been in the Heads Up forums...
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

GTW wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:54 am
EJ&E Heritage Unit at South Bend now. Coming east on #492 leading.
Coming into South Bend...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Cassopolis

GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

mjotrainbrain
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by mjotrainbrain »

J T wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:25 pm
Cassopolis

Great shot! Are you another one of those guys with a "portable overpass"/extra tall tripod? I think that's gonna need to be my next investment...

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

mjotrainbrain wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:06 pm
Great shot! Are you another one of those guys with a "portable overpass"/extra tall tripod? I think that's gonna need to be my next investment...
J_T is known to climb trees to get that great angle 8)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GTW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTW »

Great picture behind the old depot.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

mjotrainbrain wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:06 pm
Another one? I think I'm the only one. :D

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

Remember the guy that had a step ladder semi-permanently mounted in the bed of his pick-up truck?
I wonder if he had measured how much clearance he needed to go under obstacles safely?
IIRC, he was the subject of an article in Trains magazine many years ago.

A No.1
To Portland

Unread post by A No.1 »

Cassopolis

Awesome Shot JT
Mark it Zero.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

Just for info, back by the silos is where the Jackson to Niles line crossed. Just east of Three Rivers was where they diverted to Elkhart later.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

A No.1 wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:06 pm

Awesome Shot JT
Thanks, buddy.
Super Chief wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:56 am
Just for info, back by the silos is where the Jackson to Niles line crossed. Just east of Three Rivers was where they diverted to Elkhart later.
Thanks for the info. I wondered what that ROW was as we drove into town from the west.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Super Chief wrote:
So where did this branch go off to on the northeast side of Niles? Looks like it may have crossed the existing line, but I see no evidence of a ROW beyond it to the northwest.
niles.jpg

Jim_c
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Jim_c »

J T wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:45 am
Super Chief wrote:
So where did this branch go off to on the northeast side of Niles? Looks like it may have crossed the existing line, but I see no evidence of a ROW beyond it to the northwest.

niles.jpg
If you look closely, it appears to have curved to the southwest and joined what is now the AML.
Trails to Rails. Put the track back.

Tim
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tim »

It didn't continue to the northeast, it curved into the north end of the Niles yard. It was the Air Line Jct branch to a connection to the Michigan Air Line. I believe at one time traffic moved only eastbound on the Air Line and both ways on the MC Main.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Jim_c wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:43 am
J T wrote:
Super Chief wrote:

niles.jpg
If you look closely, it appears to have curved to the southwest and joined what is now the AML.
So it connected in the same direction of the line it came off of? What was the benefit of that?

Jim_c
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Jim_c »

J T wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:35 pm
Jim_c wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:43 am
J T wrote:

niles.jpg
So it connected in the same direction of the line it came off of? What was the benefit of that?
After reading Tim's comment, it probably avoided having to back trains in and out of the yard, It looks like the Air Line main hit the MC pretty close to downtown.
Trails to Rails. Put the track back.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Jim_c wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:50 am

After reading Tim's comment, it probably avoided having to back trains in and out of the yard, It looks like the Air Line main hit the MC pretty close to downtown.
That makes sense.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

Niles was a busy place. The line from Cassopolis followed M-60 then curved northwest into the yard, you had the Notre Dame branch which ran down a street behind the Taco Bell and joined the main at the depot ( the Amtrak maintence building now). Also the Big 4 from Goshen thru Granger going under the bridge west of the Niles depot on its route to St. Joesph Michigan. Just lots of abandoned ROWS to be explored.