Kellogg's switcher being scrapped?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

Kellogg's switcher being scrapped?

Unread post by bctrainfan »

Noticed the blue NW2 switch engine DRSX 1005 from Kellogg's has been moved to the spur into the scrapyard off the Kellogg's lead from the CN Battle Creek yard. Its parked with a CN boxcar and IC gon, in an area where they have been doing scrapping of some railcars. Currently they have several autoracks off the tracks moved into the scrapyard in process of being broken down. Kellogg's has a Trackmobile that they have been using in their yard, and it didnt seem like the NW2 was being moved/used for some time. Anybody know the plan for this old girl (built 1948!)?

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: Kellogg's switcher being scrapped?

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Scrapping it.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

SD80MAC wrote:Scrapping it.
I wonder if it is still in any way operational? If not, I can't see it being worth much more than the scrap value. If it is still operational, or has the ability to be operational, a vintage loco like that could be a target for a museum. Its not like the NW-2 was the widest used of the end cab switchers.

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

Can someone grab a picture of it that lives down that way? thanks

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

Enter it in Google and you'll get your pic.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

Curb Your Enthusiasm.

MP73point4
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MP73point4 »

chapmaja wrote:
SD80MAC wrote:Scrapping it.
I wonder if it is still in any way operational? If not, I can't see it being worth much more than the scrap value. If it is still operational, or has the ability to be operational, a vintage loco like that could be a target for a museum. Its not like the NW-2 was the widest used of the end cab switchers.
Actually, the NW-2 was the widest used of all EMD end cab switchers @1143 examples per the production totals page at The Diesel Shop website. Only the ALCO S-2 sold more @ 1462.
RR Pass Collector

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

It is rumored that this unit has a cracked block or crank shaft. It has been out of service since at least Fall/Winter 2018.

I will try to get a photo at some point this week before it is scrapped. You can see some of my 2016 photos in the link Doktor No shared. (It has been difficult photographing this unit in recent years as Kellogg security has become more abrasive).

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

I am not familiar with the BC area. Does anybody know the name of the scrap yard? Or what road it is located on?

Cliff
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Cliff »

The Scrapyard is located on Raymond Rd, north of Porter St..

Todd Cline
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd Cline »

Friend of mine that works for CN told me that engine is gone. But, Kelloggs itself, is just about gone as well.... They tore down 90% of what was there just 10 years ago... They even tore down the office buildings, the cafeteria, and even destroyed the huge parking lot... Kelloggs is LEAVING Battle Creek. From what I gather, Kelloggs isn't really interested in making cereal anymore. They have diversified into other lines, and the only cereal still made in B.C. is "Raisin Bran Crunch". Just a matter of time and they will be gone from B.C. BTW, Kelloggs hasn't shipped anything out on rail for at least 20 years. They still receive inbound grain, but that's it. Post Cereals however, is still going strong here in B.C. and as far as I know they still receive grain by rail. I'm not sure if they ship out bound rail though.. Ralston just shut their doors a few months ago, I hate to see that place go... It had changed hands a few times, and I guess the writing was on the wall. They were making the "Store-Brand" cereals. I've read that dry cereal is not as popular as it once was. I still like it. Not the super-sugar stuff for kids, but when was the last time you had a nice bowl of corn flakes in milk?

Todd

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

I have a bowl of Kellogs raisin bran every morning. I like ie a bit better than Post and hope it stays around.

MP73point4
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MP73point4 »

Kellogg's is doing fine in Battle Creek. They still make at least Raisin Bran, Raisin Bran Crunch, Special K, and Mini Wheats in BC. They have cut back their employment there very significantly over the last decade or so. This was mostly due to efforts to trim significant labor costs, modernize, and automate the production process. Admittedly, breakfast cereal sales have not been a growth industry as fewer and fewer people choose that to start their morning these days. Too many other choices for people on the go.
RR Pass Collector

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Todd Cline wrote:Friend of mine that works for CN told me that engine is gone. But, Kelloggs itself, is just about gone as well.... They tore down 90% of what was there just 10 years ago... They even tore down the office buildings, the cafeteria, and even destroyed the huge parking lot... Kelloggs is LEAVING Battle Creek. From what I gather, Kelloggs isn't really interested in making cereal anymore. They have diversified into other lines, and the only cereal still made in B.C. is "Raisin Bran Crunch". Just a matter of time and they will be gone from B.C. BTW, Kelloggs hasn't shipped anything out on rail for at least 20 years. They still receive inbound grain, but that's it. Post Cereals however, is still going strong here in B.C. and as far as I know they still receive grain by rail. I'm not sure if they ship out bound rail though.. Ralston just shut their doors a few months ago, I hate to see that place go... It had changed hands a few times, and I guess the writing was on the wall. They were making the "Store-Brand" cereals. I've read that dry cereal is not as popular as it once was. I still like it. Not the super-sugar stuff for kids, but when was the last time you had a nice bowl of corn flakes in milk?
As of last Friday the locomotive was still fully intact and actually not even in the scrapyard (rather on one of the spur tracks near RJ).

Kellogg's is not gone. The buildings you mention being torn down are the old headquarters. After the new HQ was built in downtown BC only a few departments had offices in this building. About 10-15 years ago Kellogg's moved all the remaining office staff at Porter St. to the downtown HQ, McCamly Plaza, and the adjacent K2 office complex. The building sat unused until about 2-3 years ago when it was torn down.

It is my understanding that Kellogg's receives inbound sugar and rice as well.

The Ralston Plant had no room for expansion and was aging. I hope it gets redeveloped.
Last edited by NS3322 on Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I can recall when Kellogg's had its own fleet of ex-CR 60' box cars. At the time NS didn't have a connection to the plant so some of the box car traffic would get picked up by GTW and interchanged with NS in Kalamazoo.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

AARR wrote:I can recall when Kellogg's had its own fleet of ex-CR 60' box cars. At the time NS didn't have a connection to the plant so some of the box car traffic would get picked up by GTW and interchanged with NS in Kalamazoo.
Eventually CR built a small yard just to store all of these boxcars. This is why Hinman Yard extends to Michigan Avenue.
See these threads: viewtopic.php?t=15421
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23457&hilit=Kellogg

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Todd Cline wrote:They have diversified into other lines, and the only cereal still made in B.C. is "Raisin Bran Crunch". Just a matter of time and they will be gone from B.C.
That is what I eat for breakfast every weekday morning. I hope they never discontinue it!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

The KELX fleet like other box car traffic fell victim to being too big and the receivers wanting truckload size shipments.
NS3322 wrote:
AARR wrote:
Eventually CR built a small yard just to store all of these boxcars. This is why Hinman Yard extends to Michigan Avenue.
See these threads: viewtopic.php?t=15421
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23457&hilit=Kellogg
I looked at some PC track charts and one Conrail chart from 1976. They imply Hinman was a stub end yard west of Raymond Rd and don't show a connection to the mainline east of Raymond Rd.

There was yard trackage east of Raymond in the 80's. With Rumley virtually empty and the north pass at Botsford empty it would be hard to imagine Conrail (thread bare in the early years) building out just to store cars unless Kellogg paid for it. Did they add track for Kellogg traffic?

dave989
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dave989 »

When the diamond was torn out and trackage consolidated thru downtown Battle Creek onto what was then GTW, a lot of trackage was eliminated. I don't recall adding trackage anywhere in Battle Creek afterwards. As for Kelloggs, some of their production went to Memphis Tn. When Kelloggs did this and move their corporate offices it started an exodus from Battle Creek including yours truly. When I started working for G. M. in 79 I thought there would be way more train acivity in Grand Rapids than Battle Creek. Silly me!

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

PatAzo wrote: I looked at some PC track charts and one Conrail chart from 1976. They imply Hinman was a stub end yard west of Raymond Rd and don't show a connection to the mainline east of Raymond Rd.

There was yard trackage east of Raymond in the 80's. With Rumley virtually empty and the north pass at Botsford empty it would be hard to imagine Conrail (thread bare in the early years) building out just to store cars unless Kellogg paid for it. Did they add track for Kellogg traffic?
I inquired about the history of Hinman Yard on this board about three years ago. Ben Higdon provided a nice summation on the subject:
Ben Higdon wrote:Hinman was a stub end yard supporting Kellogs traffic until the track consolidation in Battle Creek around 1983. Main Yd downtown was removed from service along with that portion of the main line. Yard work (pick ups and set outs) at Rumley Yd on the west side was moved to Hinman. Main Tk 1 was turned into a yard track along Hinman, and a new Main Tk 2 was laid along the south side of the ROW to replace it. On the other side of the overpass at the east end of Hinman they put in the "New Yard", double ended with I think eight tracks. The point under the overpass was called Midway. In the mid 90s ELDW always made the set out at Hinman, usually including a handful of KELX boxcars mostly in patched over PC paint. The Botsford yard master would routinely tell them to set out "eight around the lead" in Battle Creek, meaning in the New Yard.
Was Rumley Yard located between US Lumber and the current Battle Creek Department of Public Works building?

I also stumbled on these 1996 photos of Hinman Yard, taken by Jeremy Winkworth: