Grand Elk NYC Signals

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
kd_1014
Mike

Grand Elk NYC Signals

Unread post by kd_1014 »

Random signal question, but does anyone know why the NYC only installed signals on the line south of Kalamazoo and not to Grand Rapids?

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: Grand Elk NYC Signals

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Well for starters, the line north of Kalamazoo to Grand Rapids was the PRR, not NYC.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

The signals were originally installed in the 50's between Jackson-Three Rivers (Three Rivers Jct)-Elkhart when NYC closed the hump yard in Niles and diverted freight traffic to and from Chicago through Elkhart. Conrail pulled up the track between Jackson and Three Rivers Jct in the 70's.

The Elk's line is made up of three distinct segments. Elkhart to White Pigeon (the Junction) was the original LS&MS main line from Toledo to Chicago. If you look east of Cold Water you can still find mile posts with mileage to Buffalo on one side and Chicago the other. White Pigeon Jct to Kalamazoo was a short line LS&MS took over back in the day. The LS&MS line continued north of Kalamazoo through Plainwell, Otsego and Allegan into Grand Rapids. Look along the track at USG in Otsego and, at least a couple years ago, there was a mile post with mileage from Elkhart. It deteriorated to 10MPH in the Penn Central era and was abandoned by Conrail I believe. The current track Kalamazoo to GR was part of the PRR (Grand Rapids and Indiana).

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

SD80MAC wrote:Well for starters, the line north of Kalamazoo to Grand Rapids was the PRR, not NYC.
We have a winner in the 2019 Best Answer contest. :lol:

Jim_c
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Jim_c »

The GR&I/PRR did have signals north of Kalamazoo. They're gone now.
Trails to Rails. Put the track back.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Standard Railfan wrote:
SD80MAC wrote:Well for starters, the line north of Kalamazoo to Grand Rapids was the PRR, not NYC.
We have a winner in the 2019 Best Answer contest. :lol:
Not really. NYC had a line to Grand Rapids. It's fair question why they didn't signal all the way north.

kd_1014
Mike

Unread post by kd_1014 »

:shock:

Hogger1225
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Hogger1225 »

The "current" line north from Kalamazoo to GR was the former Pennsy. There was a "NYC" line also between the two cities but that was taken up a LONG time ago. The current line coming into GR from the south (Not the former Pennsy) that ran by Steelcase, Keebler's ect was the former NYC that ran from Rives Jct to GR. Went through Onondaga, Charlotte, Nashville, Hastings, Middleville and several other small towns that I can't remember. And to start another drift on this subject, there was also a Pennsy line and NYC line running south out of Kalamazoo.
I used to get paid for doing what all of you like to watch!

Jim_c
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Jim_c »

Hogger1225 wrote:The "current" line north from Kalamazoo to GR was the former Pennsy. There was a "NYC" line also between the two cities but that was taken up a LONG time ago. The current line coming into GR from the south (Not the former Pennsy) that ran by Steelcase, Keebler's ect was the former NYC that ran from Rives Jct to GR. Went through Onondaga, Charlotte, Nashville, Hastings, Middleville and several other small towns that I can't remember. And to start another drift on this subject, there was also a Pennsy line and NYC line running south out of Kalamazoo.
The remnants of the Kalamazoo to Grand Rapids NYC line, at least those I am aware of, are a short section that goes in to Parchment, the Plainwell to Otsego section of the Elk, and a very short spur in Plainwell where they sometimes park MOW equipment. The line used to go to Allegan, then meander through Hopkins, Dorr, And Byron Center on the way to Grand Rapids. I believe they could interchange with the C&O in Allegan if they so desired.
Trails to Rails. Put the track back.

Plannerdad
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Plannerdad »

That's why there are so many developments in Byron Center referred to as "Railside". From BC north is Kent Trails. My Grandmother lived near that line in the 70's and 80's, in Wyoming. I think the track was still there, but I never saw a train on it. After CONRAIL was formed, the Elk line was the preferred route south of GR.

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

The only signal system on the GR&I was in place at interlocking stations. Plainwell, Vicksburg, Walcottville, Kendallville to name a few. They did have a K Card system in place with block stations in place. I grew up at Fisher Station.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

The original NYC main south out of GR was supplimented by the line between GR and Jackson after the Vanderbilts picked up the Michigan Central. It then became a branch due to its lighter build. Once the NYC and PRR became the PC, there were 3 parallel routes into GR, two of which basically ran side by side. The western most NYC line went first and whatever little buisness was left was finished off by Conrail. The last train to Byron Center was in 1974. The former MC between GR and Jackson is well known after the PC on here and shouldn't need any explanation.

Obviously we know how the more direct route was chosen that makes up the modern day Grand Elk. I'm guessing More business and a direct line by combining the former NYC and Pennsy lines into one direct route into Grand Rapids. Of course NS basically left the line for dead especially after Fischer Body closed. Its the poster child for Watco these days when it comes to online development.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)