Yuma

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Yuma

Unread post by Steve B »

The automakers still use sand in some of their aluminum engine block manufacturing, though it's been apparently reduced by using the "semi-permanent mold" process instead in some cases.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

SD80MAC wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:23 pm
Being that it’s part of the former AA mainline, I assume the state owns it.
Does the state still own the ROW where track no longer exists past the current EOT?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

MQT1223 wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:31 pm
Does the state still own the ROW where track no longer exists past the current EOT?
At least from just up the ROW at Mesick until it ends at Frankfort, the state owns it via the Michigan Department of Natural Resources (DNR) and is operated and maintained by Benzie County. Friends of the Betsie Valley Trail help keep up with maintenence.
https://betsievalleytrail.org/contact-us/
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

Bloomberg reported last month that independent shale oil producers, who account for about half of US crude output, are content to not increase production that much this year. Another reason why Yuma will stay silent I guess.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

Steve B wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:16 pm
Bloomberg reported last month that independent shale oil producers, who account for about half of US crude output, are content to not increase production that much this year. Another reason why Yuma will stay silent I guess.
When oil was trading at ~$90 per barrel versus ~$120 today. Higher prices will lead to increased production but not necessarily to increased exploration and development. I would not expect Yuma to reopen anytime soon.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

For around 50 years Yuma produced foundry sand. What happened that caused them to stop? I know their largest customer, Ford, stopped sand shipments but it seems there are plenty of other foundries they could have marketed too.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

AARR wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:26 pm
For around 50 years Yuma produced foundry sand. What happened that caused them to stop? I know their largest customer, Ford, stopped sand shipments but it seems there are plenty of other foundries they could have marketed too.
I started to research the foundry market this morning. There are not many iron foundries left in the US.
Ford Cleveland closed. GM Defiance now casts aluminum. I don’t think much aluminum is sand cast.
The hundreds of other small foundries are gone as iron has fallen out of general use. Much of what remains of the cast iron business has moved “offshore”.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thank you for your response
Standard Railfan wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:34 pm
AARR wrote:
I started to research the foundry market this morning. There are not many iron foundries left in the US.
Ford Cleveland closed. GM Defiance now casts aluminum. I don’t think much aluminum is sand cast.
The hundreds of other small foundries are gone as iron has fallen out of general use. Much of what remains of the cast iron business has moved “offshore”.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Gary
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Gary »

Are the tracks to Yuma out of service? Any customers between Cadillac and Yuma?

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

AARR wrote:
For around 50 years Yuma produced foundry sand.
38 years: The Yuma mine opened in Oct. 1972 and Ford's Brook Park foundry closed in late Oct. 2010. This ICC case about "proposed multiple-car rate on sand from Yuma" is as good a description as any I've seen on how the Yuma operation came to be. (link to Google Books doc)
https://tinyurl.com/2p9cvm36

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

Gary wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:15 pm
Are the tracks to Yuma out of service? Any customers between Cadillac and Yuma?
Welcome to the forum! As far as I know the tracks aren't out of service, but they would definitely need an inspection before use. No other customers for many decades between Cadillac and Yuma.

Gary
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Gary »

I got a cab ride back in the mid 90's. Spare of the moment situation. If I remember, we took in like 35 empties, and brought back 30 some loads. This was in January. One of the best days of my life. Did'nt have a camera and no cell phones back then. I wish I had noted engine numbers. I do remember one was still in redish paint before GLC painted it. Sad to see this this segment unused. It sure was beautiful in the winter that day! And the sound of those engines when we pulled out of there under the load of SAND!

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

She’s baaaaaack

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I want to believe but can't find anything.....
LansingRailFan wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:53 pm
She’s baaaaaack

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

AARR wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:09 pm
LansingRailFan wrote:
She’s baaaaaack
I checked the GLC fans Facebook group and found this post:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1570543 ... 674691055/

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

AARR wrote:
LansingRailFan wrote:
She’s baaaaaack
It’s ok. You can start up your paper railroad now.

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

Curb Your Enthusiasm.

David Lang
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by David Lang »

The 310 to Yuma - LOL.

How was the sand interchanged in the past? CN at Durand, CSX at Howell, or down to Toledo via the Ann Arbor RR?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Way ahead of you :wink:
LansingRailFan wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:37 pm
AARR wrote:
LansingRailFan wrote:
She’s baaaaaack
It’s ok. You can start up your paper railroad now.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

David Lang wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:42 pm
How was the sand interchanged in the past? CN at Durand, CSX at Howell, or down to Toledo via the Ann Arbor RR?
Most of the sand, both foundry and fracking, went to Ann Arbor/Toledo. Some went to Howell and the smallest percentage, if any, went to Durand.