Yuma

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
mowingman
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Yuma

Unread post by mowingman »

I wondered if they would reopen. I just read an article that said frack sand prices are way up, and supply is short. This might bode well for the closed down Omnitrax shortline that runs to the sand mines in Brady, Tx.

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

mowingman wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:54 pm
I wondered if they would reopen. I just read an article that said frack sand prices are way up, and supply is short. This might bode well for the closed down Omnitrax shortline that runs to the sand mines in Brady, Tx.
In the last three months alone, both HESR and DCRR have pulled all of the 2-bay hoppers stored on their lines and shipped them back via CN. It’s been over 700 cars stored between the two.

Demand is up for sure.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I thought someone posted that the equipment at Yuma was removed. Does anyone recall that post and is it true?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

AARR wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:26 pm
I thought someone posted that the equipment at Yuma was removed. Does anyone recall that post and is it true?
SD80MAC did post that information, but every image, which I can't date verify, seems to show all the equipment still in place.

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

google aerial image 5/21 shows conveyor belt from the pit to the rail loading area removed.
It was there in the 5/18 image. Based on the 5/21 image, other structures remain, but whether they're usable or not can't be determined from the image.

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

I''ll likely be in the area next week. Perhaps I can check it out and post a report.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

Are the Ex-Metra cars still out in Yuma. Last Google earth they were at end of track?

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

Jetlink wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:21 am
I''ll likely be in the area next week. Perhaps I can check it out and post a report.
Divert to TVC and come in low....should work fine. 8-)
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

GP-35
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP-35 »

There's around 300 new two bay hoppers stored at Yuma, 30 of them are still loaded. Everything is still at the plant for drying and loading the sand. The plastic pipe that leads to the mine is detached in several locations. There's no talk of starting up the plant anytime soon!!!

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

Plastic pipe? It's a conveyor belt and as I wrote earlier, the latest google aerial shows it removed.
While pipe can be used to transport sand, you need lots of water at the pit to slurry it.
Then at the "mill" you need drying facilities.
Not practical for the small operation at Yuma.

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Wexford Sand Company in Yuma

Unread post by GRHC »

I read on a railroad fan website that sand mining operations may resume in Yuma Does anybody have any information about this?

GP-35
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP-35 »

The sand was pump with water to the large pile by the dryer, they were close to a half a mile from the pit to the dryer and loading tipple. Thats what was done in the past when Wexford Sand was running the sand plant.

GP-35
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP-35 »

Yes, There's NO plan to start the plant up any time soon.

Edited to remove political commentary

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

GP-35 wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:49 pm
Yes, There's NO plan to start the plant up any time soon, with the Dems in the White House there's hardy any fracking going on in the U.S right now, that may change in Nov. and the first of the year when there's new face's in Washinton!!!
Well I guess that depends on where you get your news from because I’ve read that the USA is fracking it’s @ss off. The demand for and shipments of frac sand are through the roof.

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

I recently read on a rail fan website that there are no plans to resume sand mining in Yuma anytime in the near future.

1TrackMind
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 1TrackMind »

So after all of that we have determined that the mine either is or isn't coming back. Lol

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

And the mine is or is not operational
1TrackMind wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:36 pm
So after all of that we have determined that the mine either is or isn't coming back. Lol
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

TC Man wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:40 pm
The mining equipment/machinery has been dismantled and removed from the site for the most part. I went by there a couple weeks ago when there was a line of trucks all loaded and in line to leave the plant. The sand silos were still there though. Coincidently, GLC showed up with about 33 sand cars (various reporting marks SHPX, FURX, GACX, NAHX). They pushed them onto the loading track, but just for storage (there were about 20 more on the main). There are about 30+ commuter cars on the very end of the line, and then a couple cuts totaling about 35 cars further up the line (Boon) in a siding, all TSBY/GLC cars (been there for at least a couple years).
Does anybody know the current status of the stored cars?

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

GR H & C wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:00 pm
TC Man wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:40 pm
The mining equipment/machinery has been dismantled and removed from the site for the most part. I went by there a couple weeks ago when there was a line of trucks all loaded and in line to leave the plant. The sand silos were still there though. Coincidently, GLC showed up with about 33 sand cars (various reporting marks SHPX, FURX, GACX, NAHX). They pushed them onto the loading track, but just for storage (there were about 20 more on the main). There are about 30+ commuter cars on the very end of the line, and then a couple cuts totaling about 35 cars further up the line (Boon) in a siding, all TSBY/GLC cars (been there for at least a couple years).
Does anybody know the current status of the stored cars?
If I've learned one thing from this thread it's they may or may not be in active use

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

1TrackMind wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:36 pm
It already came and went. They just shut down today. RIP.