GTW Boxcars in Onaway

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

GTW Boxcars in Onaway

Unread post by NS3322 »

Does anyone know if there are still some GTW boxcars behind Thompson's Farm Supply in Onaway, Michigan?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: GTW Boxcars in Onaway

Unread post by AARR »

According to Google Satellite they are still there. However, I don't know the date of the satellite picture.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Burb8145
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Burb8145 »

I tried finding them with Google Street View but the nearest available view is from the road heading north out of Onaway and even that one only has ugly-quality images from 2008.

The interesting part about this though is how those boxcars managed to stay there even when the former railroad track next to them became a trail. That reminds me of how a warehouse in Los Angeles still had a Southern Pacific boxcar behind it long after the siding serving it was ripped out back in the 1980's or so right up until that right-of-way was completely rebuilt to host the LA Metro Expo Line a few years ago.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
-Red Green

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

These on rails or just the bodies?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

iandt
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by iandt »

As of the end of February, these cars were still there. Both still sit on rails, though I have no idea how far the rails go, as the further boxcar was completely tangled in trees and I didn't want to make too big a ruckus while trespassing (though I found them by riding along the public trail). I thought the large rear loading door on the first boxcar was really something. (Sorry the one photo is sideways, if you open it, it turns right side up).
Attachments
CAM00192.jpg
CAM00200.jpg
CAM00196.jpg

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

iandt wrote:As of the end of February, these cars were still there. Both still sit on rails, though I have no idea how far the rails go, as the further boxcar was completely tangled in trees and I didn't want to make too big a ruckus while trespassing (though I found them by riding along the public trail). I thought the large rear loading door on the first boxcar was really something. (Sorry the one photo is sideways, if you open it, it turns right side up).
Wow, had no idea these were here. They look to be in decent shape.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

UPDATE: A new owner has purchased the property and has torn down one of the warehouse buildings, revealing the hidden boxcar. I briefly spoke with the new owner yesterday and it sounds like they will remain on the property.

He was very nice and even moved a piece of sheet metal leaning on the side of the boxcar so I could take a better photo. I explained to him that these are very likely the last GTW automobile boxcars in existence and that they are very historically significant.

Hopefully they remain a part of the plan for the property, but I think we should be keeping an eye on them as things could change.

(I'll post some pictures later).

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thank you guys. I’ll try to get some pictures,
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Conrail Quality
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Conrail Quality »

NS3322 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:25 am
UPDATE: A new owner has purchased the property and has torn down one of the warehouse buildings, revealing the hidden boxcar. I briefly spoke with the new owner yesterday and it sounds like they will remain on the property.

He was very nice and even moved a piece of sheet metal leaning on the side of the boxcar so I could take a better photo. I explained to him that these are very likely the last GTW automobile boxcars in existence and that they are very historically significant.

Hopefully they remain a part of the plan for the property, but I think we should be keeping an eye on them as things could change.

(I'll post some pictures later).
That's cool!! At least now that he knows that they are significant if he decides he doesn't want them maybe he will decide to donate or sell before deciding to scrap. Or at least give some thought to it. Seems a lot of the time these type of things end up in the scrap pile.

P.S., can't wait to see the new pictures. 👍😀

Conrail Quality
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Conrail Quality »

AARR wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:45 am
Thank you guys. I’ll try to get some pictures,
Please do and thank you 😀👍

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Conrail Quality wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:16 pm
That's cool!! At least now that he knows that they are significant if he decides he doesn't want them maybe he will decide to donate or sell before deciding to scrap. Or at least give some thought to it. Seems a lot of the time these type of things end up in the scrap pile.

P.S., can't wait to see the new pictures. 👍😀
As promised here are the photos. Due to the overgrowth I was unable to photograph the other boxcar; so I have attached a photo of that one from 2017 (this is the one hidden behind the feed mill itself).

I personally would like to see these end up in a museum. But the question is, which one?

2017 photo:

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

Hold for Pt Huron shop repairs.
Guess it wasn't repaired.
Or maybe just used to route the car to Pt. Huron to be removed from service without being loaded along the way.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

https://www.facebook.com/1000093314622 ... 13232/?d=n

My take on those boxcars a weekend before you shot them. Sounds like there are a few individuals who are actively trying to save them.