Pittsfield Township Residents are displeased with the AA

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Pittsfield Township Residents are displeased with the AA

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Apparently residents in Pittsfield Township and Saline are less than happy with the Ann Arbor and Watco due to a string of brand new tank cars that are stored on the line. According to the Ann Arbor News, the residents and a developer are complaining because the tank cars (which have never hauled anything) pose a risk of environmental disaster and "visual blight". They also believe that the empty cars pose a risk to schools in the area. Now they want Gov. Snyder and his office to do something about it.

Lolz.
Since April, a line of tank cars on the Ann Arbor Railroad line that runs through Pittsfield Township and Saline has gradually grown, and in some areas it now cuts within 100 feet of schools, playgrounds, homes and other developments.

The line, which is mostly only broken up by road crossings, now extends for several miles, and a company official told The Ann Arbor News it's composed of 237 tank cars that are built to haul petroleum.

The length of time the cars have sat and their proximity to homes and schools is generating some concern about safety, environmental issues, and visual blight from residents, local officials and a developer.

Steve Schafer is moving forward with plans for a large residential and commercial development on a property at State and Textile roads that's bisected by the line of tank cars. He is among those who want to know why the cars are stored in residential areas and wants them moved.

"I'm hesitant to invest a bunch of money in a subdivision with a bunch of tanker cars running through it," Schafer said. "You wouldn't want to look out the back of your home and see tanker cars."

Several residents who spoke with The Ann Arbor News said they feared a potential environmental disaster and said the train cars are a dangerous attraction for kids in the nearby schools and subdivisions.

Tracie VanBecelaere, a spokesperson with Watco, the Kansas-based rail company that owns the Ann Arbor Railroad, offered good and bad news.

The good news: The tank cars sitting in Pittsfield and Saline are brand new. That means they never carried any kind of petroleum or chemicals and don't pose any serious environmental threat.

The bad news: The tank cars likely aren't going anywhere anytime soon, and there doesn't appear to be much local officials or residents can do about that.

VanBecelaere explained to The Ann Arbor News that another company is paying Watco to store the tank cars on Watco's underused rail lines. The cars were ordered and built when oil prices were higher. Oil prices dropped, that caused a production to dip, and with it the need to transport oil disappeared.

Until oil prices increase and domestic production is back up, companies need to stash their unused tank cars somewhere. And Watco has underutilized lines in places like Saline and Pittsfield that are becoming long-term parking lots that provide extra revenue for the company.

"Basically, we have to do this in order to keep in business. We have to be profitable, and that's what we do with that line when it isn't in use," VanBecelaere said. "We have to be able to pay our taxes to keep people working in the area.

"The cars have to go somewhere."

Pittsfield Township Supervisor Mandy Grewal said the rail companies have jurisdiction over the tracks and there's little her office can do except to work with them as much as possible. Watco did agree to move some cars that were stored in close proximity to some homes, but it won't take any further action, Grewal said.

"Unfortunately they're really taking away from the township's visual aesthetic. We would hope that these companies would look more at partnering with local communities ... and how they detract from quality of life and cause safety issues," she said.

Pittsfield and Saline aren't alone. National Public Radio reported that tank cars are being stored on underutilized tracks around the country. But many of those stored elsewhere are "dirty" tank cars that carried petroleum. Those are now being decommissioned and stored until they can be pulled off the tracks, cleaned and recycled.

Schafer added that he has been in touch with state legislators and representatives in Congress, as well as the US Department of Transportation, which didn't return calls from The Ann Arbor News. But it's not totally clear what action, if any, is possible at the state and federal level.

An official from Gov. Rick Snyder's office told Schafer they were too busy to look into the issue.

Schafer, who said he also called Watco and didn't get much help, questioned why the company needs to store the tank cars near homes and schools.

"They shouldn't be there. There's a rail yard where they could go. I can understand if they're in an industrial area, but not around a residential zone," he said.

It's not possible to store the cars elsewhere, says VanBecelaere. Watco operates around 4,700 miles of tracks nationally. Their tracks are called short lines and are typically smaller regional tracks that feed larger interstate lines. Many of the local tracks that cut through residential areas aren't in use.

Additionally, the tracks in the industrial areas and rail yards remain in use, and Watco has to be able to switch lines and move cars without obstruction, VanBecelaere said.

"Obviously we don't people to be unhappy, but it's one of those things where we have to do what we have to do to keep investing in the community," she said.
http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/ind ... l#comments
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Pittsfield Township Residents are displeased with the AA

Unread post by Michael »

Maybe Rick will move the tank cars to Flint?

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Michael wrote:Maybe Rick will move the tank cars to Flint?
Filled with water.

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

GTWwatcher
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWwatcher »

:lol: :lol:

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Good one :lol: . IIRC most of the line is away from public roads and residential. I wonder what area they complainers are referring too :?
NSSD70ACe wrote:
Michael wrote:Maybe Rick will move the tank cars to Flint?
Filled with water.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

NYCMan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NYCMan »

Reading the article very carefully, it appears a guy by the name of Steve Shafer is leading the "opposition". His company is constructing a residential/commercial project that is bisected by the railroad line.

Now, read between the lines. If the railroad tracks are gone, the value of the residential/commercial project goes up, uP, UP, UP! So, it appears that it is in Mr. Shafer's personal financial best interest to go around town and whisper sweet nothings into the locals ears to scare them about how dangerous those empty tank cars are.

If Mr. Shafer was even smarter, he'd spread rumors to the locals that the tank cars are filled with Flint River lead-tainted water, and if they freeze, the tanks may rupture and spill their contents into the local Saline-Pittsfield water table.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

I feel so sorry for this greedy developer whose plans to expand urban sprawl have run into a roadblock. This is no different than the aholes who build a big expensive home in the country, and then complain about the smells from the 100 year old farm down the road.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

Ultimately he will need to get the line abandoned and removed and that seems much more difficult than just getting the tank cars moved.
NYCMan wrote:Reading the article very carefully, it appears a guy by the name of Steve Shafer is leading the "opposition". His company is constructing a residential/commercial project that is bisected by the railroad line.

Now, read between the lines. If the railroad tracks are gone, the value of the residential/commercial project goes up, uP, UP, UP! So, it appears that it is in Mr. Shafer's personal financial best interest to go around town and whisper sweet nothings into the locals ears to scare them about how dangerous those empty tank cars are.

If Mr. Shafer was even smarter, he'd spread rumors to the locals that the tank cars are filled with Flint River lead-tainted water, and if they freeze, the tanks may rupture and spill their contents into the local Saline-Pittsfield water table.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

There was a string of new tank cars last night along 131. Going to an auto accident at 216 & 131 in the dark they were on the ELK between CP Park & Cowling. The accident was a fatal so 4 hours later saw them still there. Maybe Hughart, Gearhart & Kilgore if they have any empty tracks will be used for the same thing? Speaking of Kilgore CN has a B& LE unit there now the gray ugly duckling is gone. Could be for MSO but if Watco is in the storage business then their competitors probably not for MSO then.
Last edited by Super Chief on Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Super Chief wrote:There was a string of new tank cars last night along 131. Going to an auto accident at 216 & 131 in the dark they were on the ELK between CP Park & Cowling. The accident was a fatal so 4 hours later saw them still there. Maybe Hughart, Gearhart & Kilgore if they have any empty tracks will be used for the same thing? Speaking of Kilgore CN has a B& LE unit there now the gray ugly duckling is gone.

Not to go far off topic or anything, but was 5942 due for maintenance? Last time it left it was replaced by a full CN painted unit and then 5942 returned.

Also, Gearhart does seem to have a lot of open tracks. When I stopped by recently, Yard tracks 1 and 2 were full, 3 was half full, and the rest along with the yard lead were empty.

Kilgore could be used to store cars. From what I see on Google Maps, there are six stub end tracks that appear to be "in service" (rails, ties, etc). I believe one is in use for a logging operation in the back so that would leave 5 available.

Something I've noticed with CN's cars at Kilgore is that they are usually in sidings along the main to Pavilion and not in the yard. That's where they do a majority of the switching that I've seen as well, usually tripping the crossing circuits in the process.

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Super Chief wrote:...Speaking of Kilgore CN has a B& LE unit there now the gray ugly duckling is gone....

Since it was originally posted here, CN 910 is no longer at Kilgore; apparently she was sent to BC sometime in the last few days and 5281 (an SD40-2W) has taken her place. Really sad horn on 'er too.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Someone should point out to the developer that the cornfields that used to be there didn't complain at all about the trains, parked or otherwise! :lol:

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

Same problem in Wyandotte. A developer wants the railroads and the city to close a crossing . The developer stated that nobody wants to live by noisy railroad tracks ( ???? ) But your building next to a railroad track that has been there for over 100 years . Again NIMBY's trying to take over the world.

ThatRailfanningKid
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ThatRailfanningKid »

"You wouldn't want to look out the back of your home and see tanker cars."
Well then maybe you shouldn't buy a house that sits adjacent to some tracks, eh?
Evan

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

ThatRailfanningKid wrote:"You wouldn't want to look out the back of your home and see tanker cars."
Well then maybe you shouldn't buy a house that sits adjacent to some tracks, eh?
While the occasional train may be a nuisance, I have to side with the homeowner(s). It's one thing to complain about the trains, but I side with them when it comes to storing cars in the middle of their neighborhood. I don't like looking at a broken down POS car in my neighbors driveway. I wouldn't like tank cars through the middle of my development either.

They may have a case for visual blight, but the rest of their argument is hooey.

You have to remember not everyone is as ga-ga over trains as the people on this board...

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

CSX_CO wrote:
ThatRailfanningKid wrote:"You wouldn't want to look out the back of your home and see tanker cars."
While the occasional train may be a nuisance, I have to side with the homeowner(s). It's one thing to complain about the trains, but I side with them when it comes to storing cars in the middle of their neighborhood. I don't like looking at a broken down POS car in my neighbors driveway. I wouldn't like tank cars through the middle of my development either.

They may have a case for visual blight, but the rest of their argument is hooey.

You have to remember not everyone is as ga-ga over trains as the people on this board...

I can't agree with the home owners (who are actually being lead by a developer who has yet to develop a property along the tracks).

Anyone who has done any due diligence about the railroad had to know this was a possibility. The signs have been indicating this was a possibility dating back to the time when the tracks were cut back to the plant. Anytime a railroad is down to a single customer on a branch line, there is a known risk that the customer could stop shipping by rail and then start using the line for other rail related purposes (storage being a known possibility). Since the vast majority of these properties were not even built until the last 15 years, the owners who built should have known this was possible, and the people who bought a pre-existing home should have known it was passible when they bought the house.

Again, this really isn't the home owners who are complaining, it is one vocal developer who is sitting on an over priced parcel with the tracks through it. He has recruited a few other people to complain with him. Nobody at the High School or Middle School has been complaining about it (I work in both buildings regularly and they are the two buildings closest to the tracks).

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

Storing cars is part of normal railroad operations, and the railroad was there first!
I was a beekeeper for 50 years, and I'm sick and tired of people moving out in the country, for the "country experience" and then complaining about bees, cows, pigs, farms, and pretty much everything that was there first! That goes for that whole Saline, Canton, Pittsfield, Brighton, Howell area! That entire area was rural at one time, before the urban sprawl excellerated! Today, I drive by places that used to be farms and orchards, where I used to have bees, and I see nothing but strip malls, and huge sub divisions of cookie cutter houses. Two lane roads are congested all day and night, where I used to only see an occasional farm tractor.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

No, storing cars is not "normal operations" for that line. It's something completely new.

So, if I had a empty field next to your house, you would have no problem with me parking all manner of junk cars, trucks, vans, trailers, etc in full view of your property? Also in view of any prospective buyers of your house. After all, it's *my* field I can do with it as I please.

They probably have no legal grounds for their complaint, but I can see the issue with "visual blight". It's one thing to have an active rail line. This is different.

MiddleMI
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiddleMI »

He didn't say for "that line" rather storing cars is always a possibility and part of the business of railroads. You're playing semantics.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

MiddleMI wrote:He didn't say for "that line" rather storing cars is always a possibility and part of the business of railroads. You're playing semantics.
Didn't know the railroads stored cars on their main lines. And it's not semantics. Line was used to serve a customer. Line is now a dead end spur because customer closed. Now they're changing the use of that line to store cars on. Cars the local residents don't want to stare at. Can't say I blame them.

I think STB filings also deal with "normal" and "historical usage" when railroads propose changes. Case in point, LIRC and CSX agreement to upgrade the line between Indy and Louisville made mention of that. Traffic was going to increase 10 fold, so impact studies were done, towns submitted their list of requests, etc.

Again, probably no legal standing for the complaints, but squeaky wheels get grease.