Sturgis MI Pioneer Rail Corp

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Sturgis MI Pioneer Rail Corp

Unread post by Notch 8 »

Caught PREX 1616 in Sturgis MI today, They took 3 cars of salt to Miller on the south end of the former GR&I and brought back 1 mty, Small cut of tank cars for Abbott Labs sitting just west of 66 car carry fuel for the boilers. Crews switched Penguin Plastics and headed back toward White Pigeon @ 5pm with 1 mty salt hopper and 1 mty plastics hopper.. http://www.flickr.com/photos/digitalrail/13231859724/

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Sturgis MI Pioneer Rail Corp

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks for the observations, Notch 8. I think its unusual that they don't have box cars from the paper plant in their tri-weekly consist. Last I heard they do about 8-10 cars a week but that was a while ago and things may have changed.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Hi Notch 8, thanks for the photo and report! I always forget that Penguin is a customer for MSO, probably because every single time I've seen them in Sturgis, they have no work to do there, and their spur is kind of hidden unless you remember where to look. In your photo, is that CN cylindrical hopper from Penguin? I'm glad to hear about the cars going to and from Miller and Sons, too, since they're now the last customer left on the old PRR south of town. I'm surprised there was nothing to or from International Paper right there at the diamond, as Don said, but with so few reports from the MSO it's hard to know what "normal" is. Also, I never knew what exactly was in those tankcars for Abbot Labs, either.

I always enjoy hearing reports and seeing photos from this often-forgotten but very historic segment of track in southwest Michigan. Here's one of my own trip reports, from 3 years ago now. Lots of photos included. Can't believe it's been that long!: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=20795&p=298212

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

GP30M4216 wrote:In your photo, is that CN cylindrical hopper from Penguin?
My guess is the CN cylindrical hopper is an empty salt car.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Notch 8 »

Yes the CN car was from Millers and was for salt, however the markings on the car was something like NMIX and no longer wore CN markings, Miller's siding has been the busiest I have ever seen it, Every time I have gone past it its had 3-4 cars in the last couple months, The other car was the mty plastics car.. I'm in Grand Rapids today and hope to catch the Marquette ! If not there is the Grand Elk too.....

bn13814
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bn13814 »

[quote="GP30M4216"]Also, I never knew what exactly was in those tankcars for Abbot Labs, either.quote]

When I worked for Pioneer Railcorp (Peoria office) in the early 2000s, Abbott Labs received coconut oil in tank cars. They may have gotten soybean oil as well. Fuel oil must be something they've started since.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

bn13814 wrote:When I worked for Pioneer Railcorp (Peoria office) in the early 2000s, Abbott Labs received coconut oil in tank cars. They may have gotten soybean oil as well. Fuel oil must be something they've started since.
I've heard Abbott (formerly Ross) received coconut oil and soy oil but fuel oil is new to me. At one time when MSO was privately owned they tried to get coal in by rail but it never materialized that I know of

ryno4494
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ryno4494 »

the cn hopper was a miller empty. the other car was brought along for a buffer, to handle the hazmat tank cars being stored at Sturgis. its actually a load for the cow feed guy in white pigeon( yeah so we used what we could for a buffer,---- cab 500007 didn't work out move wise that day it does see semi regular service--- using a cow feed car works out good cuz it ends up on the right end for spotting the wye upon return to WHT PIG).it was NOT a penguin car,( note the lack of vacuum ports-its a straight bottom drop.) btw I was the hogger on that day.
"lack of good MSO reports"?.....try me.