Ludington Sand

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Marylee
Railroadfan...fan

Ludington Sand

Unread post by Marylee »

This has been going on for some time, so it must have been posted here so if I missed it sorry. In Ludington, the sand operation south of the state park (sargent?) has been trucking sand to the old HW plant south of town by Dow Chem where the windmills were unloaded. Here the trucks back into the big peaked roof building and dump the sand to be scooped up and loaded into hoppers (6-10) on the adjacent spur. As we speak the framing is up for a large overhead sand loading apparatus with conveyors and elevators for loading sand much more quickly and in much larger quantities. Also, their pit area has seen its said infrastructures increase by 500-1000 percent.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Ludington Sand

Unread post by AARR »

I thought the former and re-opnened Sargent Sand mine was north of Ludington near Epworth?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

AARR wrote:I thought the former and re-opnened Sargent Sand mine was north of Ludington near Epworth?
Yes it is. In the last two years, they built a whole new plant for processing. Forgot to grab pictures last time I was up there. Maybe someone else could share some. You can see it from the road to the State Park.

Until now, sand has been trucked to Nugent in Muskegon for loading there. Seems to be that is about to taper off, and go to just Ludington loading.
Last edited by Saturnalia on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

MQT3001 wrote:Until now, sand has been trucked to Nugent in Muskegon for loading there. Seems that is about to taper off, and go to just Ludington loading. Good for the MQT!
Corporate (G&W) won't care because they operate both railroads (MS & MQT). In fact they may get more revenue because the MQT will have a longer haul.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

AARR wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:Until now, sand has been trucked to Nugent in Muskegon for loading there. Seems that is about to taper off, and go to just Ludington loading. Good for the MQT!
Corporate (G&W) won't care because they operate both railroads (MS & MQT). In fact they may get more revenue because the MQT will have a longer haul.
Except the MS has only a few small customers except Sand. Sand is over 70% of their carloads.

csx801
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csx801 »

How many car loads are shipped from stargent via muskegon a day? Also, how many car loads are shipped from Nugents Barry facility by Nugent? once Stargent pulls the plug on the MS what will Barry be shipping? Im assuming this is going to impact the north end quite a bit.

Currently ive seen about 10 to 15 cars a day from Barry and 10 to 20 a day from Lincoln

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

csx801 wrote:How many car loads are shipped from stargent via muskegon a day? Also, how many car loads are shipped from Nugents Barry facility by Nugent? once Stargent pulls the plug on the MS what will Barry be shipping? Im assuming this is going to impact the north end quite a bit.

Currently ive seen about 10 to 15 cars a day from Barry and 10 to 20 a day from Lincoln
I thought the shift for Muskegon Sand is to Barry from Lincoln. Given that (if the latter is true), I don't expect the Barry facility to see any headaches. The key will be the supply-demand of sand for Hydraulic Fracturing.
Last edited by Saturnalia on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

The Sargent sand from Ludington was trucked to Nugent in Muskegon for processing and then transport. Sargent is is building / has built their own processing facility in Ludington and a transloading facility on the Harbison Walker site. Once that is complete, they will not truck sand to Muskegon. One cannot assume MQT will get all the rail business.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Raildudes dad wrote:One cannot assume MQT will get all the rail business.
Interesting observation. I've heard the frac sand business was being spread around to various railroads but "assumed" by building the plant on MQT it would all go out via MQT.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

AARR wrote:
Interesting observation. I've heard the frac sand business was being spread around to various railroads but "assumed" by building the plant on MQT it would all go out via MQT.
All I can think of is there are existing contracts with the MS & Nugent.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

MQT3001 wrote:
AARR wrote:
All I can think of is there are existing contracts with the MS & Nugent.
No, but some things are better left unsaid on the 'net

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Raildudes dad wrote:No, but some things are better left unsaid on the 'net
I have no inside connections or sources so if I happen to "assume" correctly it is totally by accident so I feel no remorse over speculating.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

MQT3001 you should stop while your ahead. You are really good at knowing everything. You have been stepping on more than one parties toes with your comments on here as of lately. The sand business is between the parties directly involved.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

Nugent is the provider for the sand that GM (Central Foundry) uses at Defiance, correct?

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Here's the story on Sargent Sand and Nugent / MS. It would appear that Nugent won't be processing Sargent's product anymore if Sargent has built their own plant. Having said that, everything isn't always obvious in the rail - truck transload business :? .

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 01632.html

bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bctrainfan »

Maybe I am missing why this seems to be such a touchy subject? Speculation is a major staple for many of the discussions on this board. It might be inappropriate for someone who has actual insider info to release that info if it has been given to them in confidence by the parties involved, but I wouldn't expect MQT falls in to that category.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

bctrainfan wrote:Maybe I am missing why this seems to be such a touchy subject? Speculation is a major staple for many of the discussions on this board. It might be inappropriate for someone who has actual insider info to release that info if it has been given to them in confidence by the parties involved, but I wouldn't expect MQT falls in to that category.
Same here bctf. I enjoy speculating about what may happen. If someone knows what's going on and can't share the information then read what we are posting and have a chuckle over it. :lol:

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

I drove by the new sand plant in Ludington on Wednesday afternoon. No sign of rail traffic but there was a dry bulk trailer tractor combo on site near a front end loader and what appeared to be a conveyor of some sort.

Larry G
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Larry G »

It's too bad the tracks were removed for the neighbors in the area.

A Radio update on WUOM NPR Radio today. Listen and view the pictures!
http://michiganradio.org/post/company-c ... e-michigan
"If I Harp at you, it is only to Spur you on!