West Michigan RR Abandonment Petition Coming

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

West Michigan RR Abandonment Petition Coming

Unread post by jimnorthwood »

Abandonment petition expected to be filed on or about January 7 for the Lawrence-Paw Paw section. Environmental materials, etc included in the below STB document. No surprise; last train to Paw Paw was when? Maybe the salvaged rail will be re-laid on their newly acquired MAW...

http://www.stb.dot.gov/filings/all.nsf/ ... 233558.PDF

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: West Michigan RR Abandonment Petition Coming

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Kinda knew this was coming I guess. At least they still have 1 customer in Hartford.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

No chance ever again for a shot at Lake Cora. :(

I'm sure the residents there are happy to hear that news though. No more rusty rails cutting through the backyards between their houses and the lake.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Mark F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mark F »

Think the NIMBY's will be happier with bicyclists and rollerbladers?

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Mark F wrote:Think the NIMBY's will be happier with bicyclists and rollerbladers?
Can't see a bike path going through the yards at Lake Cora. If they make a bike path between Lawrence and Paw Paw, it would most likely diverge from the ROW at Territorial Rd. and follow Red Arrow to 43rd before joining back up.

As much as I'm all for rails to trails (after there is no hope ever for rail traffic), I wouldn't blame the land owners at Lake Cora for not wanting a path going through there. That really is a unique situation with where the ROW is located.
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jimnorthwood »

Abandonment petition was filed on January 8, 2013:

http://www.stb.dot.gov/filings/all.nsf/ ... 233657.PDF

intocable83
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by intocable83 »

Was this the only line in Michigan with the ROW running between homes and a lake, similar set-up is what I'm referring to. I remember those pics a couple years back someone shared of a train going down this line by the lake and how cool it looked basically seeing an engine going the back yards of those homes, especially since you couldn't even see the rails buried in the grass. Imagine living in one of those homes, having a visitor over with no idea the tracks were there and a train rolls by. :lol:

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

intocable83 wrote:Was this the only line in Michigan with the ROW running between homes and a lake, similar set-up is what I'm referring to. I remember those pics a couple years back someone shared of a train going down this line by the lake and how cool it looked basically seeing an engine going the back yards of those homes, especially since you couldn't even see the rails buried in the grass. Imagine living in one of those homes, having a visitor over with no idea the tracks were there and a train rolls by. :lol:

It does seem very unique! I would have thought for sure it was the only spot like that left in Michigan but it looks like something similar up by Fife Lake though not as many homes.
http://goo.gl/maps/X6s6W

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

intocable83 wrote:Was this the only line in Michigan with the ROW running between homes and a lake, similar set-up is what I'm referring to. I remember those pics a couple years back someone shared of a train going down this line by the lake and how cool it looked basically seeing an engine going the back yards of those homes, especially since you couldn't even see the rails buried in the grass. Imagine living in one of those homes, having a visitor over with no idea the tracks were there and a train rolls by. :lol:
From May 22, 2007. Jon Hall was with me when I took these and he has a slightly different set that he can share as well.

Where are the tracks? :D

A look down the rails:

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Those pictures are among my all time favorite's, J T :lol:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

AARR wrote:Those pictures are among my all time favorite's, J T :lol:
Thanks, Don. Some day I'll go back and reprocess them with CS5 so they look better (used PS 7 back then). High sun that day and the lighting sucked. :) Wow...hard to believe it's been nearly 6 years!

intocable83
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by intocable83 »

Thanks for sharing those, that is what you call pure Michigan! The close up shot of 908 creeping past the shed is my favorite, would make a cool post card especially for those gift shops and stores dedicated to anything relating to trains. One of the last trains to go through there.

wagnew0923
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by wagnew0923 »

Love the pics. This was taken on the line they were filing for abandonment on? When was the last train on that line?

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

wagnew0923 wrote:Love the pics. This was taken on the line they were filing for abandonment on? When was the last train on that line?
Not sure when the last train was through there, but I took these pics in April of 2009 and to this day, that tree remains. This would be looking east at Lake Cora a few hundred yards west of the zoomed in shot of 908 passing the bird house.

December 2011:

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

Someone better salvage the rails while they can still find them.
Norm

PM1946
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PM1946 »

Wasn't there a dinner train that operated on that trackage during the 80's? These pics brought back some fond memories. The family and I were on a dinner train back then somewhere near Paw Paw. I remember that it ambled along a beach with a small lake on one side and homes close by on the other side. Either that, or I got a hold of some bad tacos last night and my remembrance is the result of a twisted dream.

NSSD60M
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NSSD60M »

PM1946 wrote:Wasn't there a dinner train that operated on that trackage during the 80's? These pics brought back some fond memories. The family and I were on a dinner train back then somewhere near Paw Paw. I remember that it ambled along a beach with a small lake on one side and homes close by on the other side. Either that, or I got a hold of some bad tacos last night and my remembrance is the result of a twisted dream.
I can't speak for any other possible ill-effects of bad tacos, but a twisted dream certainly isn't a result of them! You're absolutely correct. There was a rather sharp-looking dinner train, which I'm sure someone has some pictures to post of. While I never had a chance to ride that, I did, however, take the family on the other train they had for special occasions, like a Pumpkin Train for Halloween, Christmas Train, etc. With the way those cars swayed around and rocked, I'd imagine there may have been some spilled wine and gravy in those bi-levels of the dinner train! Had a GP7u, I believe for power (the other train, not the dinner train), which, I'd have to dig through the archives to verify.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

The afermentioned dinner train was the Kalamazoo, Lake Shore & Chicago.

From railroadmichigan.com:

Kalamazoo, Lake Shore & Chicago Railway Co.

KLS&C operated former CSX rails from Hartford to Paw Paw, with freight and passenger excursion service, including the Star Clipper dinner train. The Star Clipper move to COE Rail in July, 91 and was replaced by ex METRA E8A 513, and 4 cars from Trancisco Tours. First trip was 9/20/91 as Michigan Wine Country dinner train. Pioneer Rail Corp now operates line as the West Michigan RR.

One of their old cars is now at the C&M, it used to be our car No. 3 but isn't currently used.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

What is the small raised platform above 85's number boards?

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

J T wrote:What is the small raised platform above 85's number boards?
That's a ground plain where the radio and other antennas were mounted. Santa Fe and other railroads added those to older engines, large flat areas improved radio and EOT reception on the head end.