Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Ok, with PM 1225's rebuild coming up, and maintenance on such an impressive locomotive not becoming cheaper, could SRI in the near future (though I would really hope not) retire her, and get a smaller more managable and cheaper to run steam locomotive? Just was a thought I had, even though I would hate to see it stuffed at like the Henry Ford or some place like that.

odave
Railroadfan...fan

Re: 1225

Unread post by odave »

They do have the Mississippian #76 (2-8-0), but I'm not sure how far along it is.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

smaller, more manageable, and cheaper, is a lot less impressive! :wink:
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

j32885
Railroadfan...fan

Re: 1225 Retirement?!?!

Unread post by j32885 »

Mississippian 76 is in pieces, is a side project for SRI to work on. 1225 is SRI's main steamer, is the one they would like to maintain the most. If SRI were get another steamer, they should get one from the CN Heritage such as:

Coopersville, Michigan (Coopersville & Marne)
- #1395, Canadian National Railway, 4-6-0

Durand, Michigan (Park Engine, City Of Durand)
- #5632. Grand Trunk Western, 4-6-2

Jackson, Michigan (Park Engine, City Of Jackson)
- #5030, Grand Trunk Western, 4-6-2

Sidney, Michigan (Park Engine, Montcalm Community College)
- #7456, Grand Trunk Railway, 0-6-0

Windsor, Ontario (Park Engine, City Of Windsor)
- #5588, Canadian National Railway, 4-6-2

If 1225 was to be donated to the Henry Ford Museum, and the museum would have to take out all of stuff on Track 2 which currently has:

- The Dewitt Clinton
- The Rocket
- Atlantic & Gulf #3, "Sam Hill - The President"
- Bangor & Aroostook, Wooden Coach #6
- Canadian Pacific, Snowplow #400850
- Bessemer & Lake Erie #154
- Ingersoll-Rand #90

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Re: 1225 Retirement?!?!

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

j32885 wrote:Mississippian 76 is in pieces, is a side project for SRI to work on. 1225 is SRI's main steamer, is the one they would like to maintain the most. If SRI were get another steamer, they should get one from the CN Heritage such as:

Coopersville, Michigan (Coopersville & Marne)
- #1395, Canadian National Railway, 4-6-0

Durand, Michigan (Park Engine, City Of Durand)
- #5632. Grand Trunk Western, 4-6-2

Jackson, Michigan (Park Engine, City Of Jackson)
- #5030, Grand Trunk Western, 4-6-2

Sidney, Michigan (Park Engine, Montcalm Community College)
- #7456, Grand Trunk Railway, 0-6-0

Windsor, Ontario (Park Engine, City Of Windsor)
- #5588, Canadian National Railway, 4-6-2

If 1225 was to be donated to the Henry Ford Museum, and the museum would have to take out all of stuff on Track 2 which currently has:

- The Dewitt Clinton
- The Rocket
- Atlantic & Gulf #3, "Sam Hill - The President"
- Bangor & Aroostook, Wooden Coach #6
- Canadian Pacific, Snowplow #400850
- Bessemer & Lake Erie #154
- Ingersoll-Rand #90
...and since the original post was IF SRI didn't have enough money to maintain 1225...any of the units you listed would cost FAR MORE to get them into operating condition than what it would cost to give 1225 her inspection/rebuild. And just because a unit is smaller, doesn't mean it costs less to operate. A smaller unit could just as easily have the same problems 1225 has had.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

With the amount of photo charters at 800+ dollars a person, the income from private donations and endowments, along with the income of everything else SRI does that you pay admission for, they should have more than enough to get here past the over haul and inspection. If not, there are such things as bank loans. I'd be pretty willing to bet if for some reason they were short on cash a local bank would certainly offer them some type of loan, there is an awful lot of collateral and they would get a lot of good press for helping out in the community.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

From e-mail off TRAINS Magazine news wire:

1225's owner hits financial crisis

Published: Monday, January 25, 2010

OWOSSO, Mich. - The nonprofit owner of Pere Marquette 2-8-4 No. 1225 laid off five of its six staff members today in response to a financial crisis. Steam Railroading Institute Executive Director T.J. Gaffney said the locomotive won't operate this year, and its future is now in doubt.

No. 1225 was to operate through May this year, when it comes due for its 15-year Federal Railroad Administration-mandated boiler inspection. However, leaky tubes uncovered during a Polar Express trip in December led the institute to sideline the locomotive early.

The group anticipated the high cost of the boiler inspection, which requires the locomotive to be stripped and the thickness of firebox sheets and boiler shell tested. To offset the costs, expected to reach into six figures, the institute sponsored Train Festival 2009 last July. The event drew 36,000 people to Owosso to see eight live steam locomotives, including 1225 and Southern Pacific 4-8-4 No. 4449 on its first Midwest visit since its nationwide tour with the American Freedom Train in 1975 and 1976.

Despite the thrill and ostensible success of the event, Gaffney said, "Train Festival's income and expenses were very close to each other." However, he added, "We feel that 2009 was a wonderful year, and we hope that our supporters still look to help us through these tough times."

Going forward, the institute has applied for a federal grant that Gaffney hopes will enable the group to return to normalcy. However, even if it receives the grant, it won't get any of the funds until October.

Gaffney said the people laid off had done their best to push the project forward. "Nothing that has happened here should reflect on the staff that has been let go," he said.

The engine, which had been parked near the museum's entrance gate, has been pushed into the engine house for now.

For more information on the Steam Railroading Institute, visit http://www.mstrp.com. - Andy Cummings
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

jukeman45
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jukeman45 »

So in other words, A huge amount of money came in the front door and right out the back door. Lovely :roll:

As the Applegate Chevrolet commercial says "That sure sounds like Flint to me"

Larry G
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Larry G »

Excuse me, but wasn't the purpose of the summer steam event to fund the rebuilding of the locomotive?? :shock:

Any Specific details of what happened to the funds?? :shock:
"If I Harp at you, it is only to Spur you on!

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Larry G wrote:Excuse me, but wasn't the purpose of the summer steam event to fund the rebuilding of the locomotive?? :shock:

Any Specific details of what happened to the funds?? :shock:
One of the officials has been called-out on this but I don't know the results of that meeting. I don't know the inner circle of SRI so I don't want to names anyone but if any one else knows they may do so.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Larry G
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Larry G »

There must be a public accounting on the funding matter. The organiaztion will not get future support unless a full disclosure happens and quickly!!! This report is most disturbing!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

AARR wrote:From e-mail off TRAINS Magazine news wire:
"Train Festival's income and expenses were very close to each other."
That means they may not have drawn enough of a profit from Train Festival to fully aid 1225's rebuild...

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Mr. Tops wrote:
AARR wrote:From e-mail off TRAINS Magazine news wire:
"Train Festival's income and expenses were very close to each other."
That means they may not have drawn enough of a profit from Train Festival to fully aid 1225's rebuild...
Worse than that, it makes it sound like they didn't draw much of ANY profit out of it, let alone enough to pay for a rebuild.

Practice Safe CSX

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by RailCanon »

During a conversation I had with TJ in July, he mentioned that they had broken-even on the festival expenses by the middle of the third day and all extra proceeds would go to 1225's inspection. That said, I have no idea exactly how much fell into that catogory.
Hopefully this mess can be straightened out soon. Sure isn't pretty...

Larry G
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Larry G »

RailCanon wrote:Hopefully this mess can be straightened out soon. Sure isn't pretty...
It also doesn't help with PR either. There is going to be major upset/anger if the 1225 is not around for the Christmas Excursions in 2010. That possibility is going to create critical mass and has the potential for a melt down!!!

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

Check out the facebook group, I will leave it at that, I don't have a fire truck to put out a fire it could start.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

SMRGUY wrote:Check out the facebook group, I will leave it at that, I don't have a fire truck to put out a fire it could start.
Can you post the link?

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Posted on Trains.com

1225's owner hits financial crisis

Published: Monday, January 25, 2010

OWOSSO, Mich. - The nonprofit owner of Pere Marquette 2-8-4 No. 1225 laid off five of its six staff members today in response to a financial crisis. Steam Railroading Institute Executive Director T.J. Gaffney said the locomotive won't operate this year, and its future is now in doubt.

No. 1225 was to operate through May this year, when it comes due for its 15-year Federal Railroad Administration-mandated boiler inspection. However, leaky tubes uncovered during a Polar Express trip in December led the institute to sideline the locomotive early.

The group anticipated the high cost of the boiler inspection, which requires the locomotive to be stripped and the thickness of firebox sheets and boiler shell tested. To offset the costs, expected to reach into six figures, the institute sponsored Train Festival 2009 last July. The event drew 36,000 people to Owosso to see eight live steam locomotives, including 1225 and Southern Pacific 4-8-4 No. 4449 on its first Midwest visit since its nationwide tour with the American Freedom Train in 1975 and 1976.

Despite the thrill and ostensible success of the event, Gaffney said, "Train Festival's income and expenses were very close to each other." However, he added, "We feel that 2009 was a wonderful year, and we hope that our supporters still look to help us through these tough times."

Going forward, the institute has applied for a federal grant that Gaffney hopes will enable the group to return to normalcy. However, even if it receives the grant, it won't get any of the funds until October.

Gaffney said the people laid off had done their best to push the project forward. "Nothing that has happened here should reflect on the staff that has been let go," he said.

The engine, which had been parked near the museum's entrance gate, has been pushed into the engine house for now.

For more information on the Steam Railroading Institute, visit http://www.mstrp.com. - Andy Cummings
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Oh, ok, that's what I posted a few threads above :wink:. It's karma CRJ...for daring to post $24 :P

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

D'oh, I pulled a Don Simon! :P :wink:
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/