MMRR Engines in Muskegon

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
C&O6088
Railroadfan...fan

MMRR Engines in Muskegon

Unread post by C&O6088 »

Does anyone know if there is plans to paint the MMRR 179 and MMRR 180 Engines? And the GR 3839 from the sister railroad, is this temporary power with plans to get another engine and paint that too?

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Geeps

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

They were planning on painting the geeps, but both have been out of service for a few weeks now. New news that MMRR 3836 is coming over to Muskegon to replace the GP9's. GR 3839 is not temporary to speak. MS, GRE and MMRR are all considered MMRR now so it is technically on 'home' rails. MMRR needs all the power they can get to get the Waverly Turn out of Muskegon. Before the GP9's went down, they'd use 3839 and one of the 9's, but now they are forced to use 3839 and MS 73 (SW1200) every night. Boy that thing spits sparks like crazy with wheel slip. I'm guessing the GP9's will head over to the east side of the state to be repaired (who knows maybe repainted, too) while 3836 comes to Muskegon. They're going to need to get rid of them otherwise there won't be any room in the Henry Street engine house. The south track is only long enough to fit the 2 GP9's and the north track is only long enough to fit the GP38 and SW1200. 2 GP38's wont fit together on the same track. Not sure if the GP9's do leave that they'll come back, either. Now that 3836 is operating and coming over to replace them, they might end up somewhere else as back-up power. Just my .02

patrick
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by patrick »

whats proababally going to happen.. in my head will be the 2 GP9's coming here to bay city to be fixed... the 3836 going to you.. and once they are fixed both GP9's will replace the 8903 in alma. Once coal starts up over on this side of the RA the HESR is gonna be power hungry. they'll bring all three B-units back online... (the 2002 is online now with the durand and midland turns between the 6 axle units), they'll recall the 9712 and 5492 back from the east side. we have a crap load of junkers over here though. a c30-7, 2 U23b's, a GP38, and a GP20 and a SW9 all are trash and need to be delt with..

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Aha! I was wondering was was doing the work on the east end of the MMRR. Someone on one of the other message boards said that 24 had been doing it all? Is that correct or obviously not? I was unaware that 8905 was in Alma. But yes, I am with you on that one Patrick. I'm willing to bet they won't come back here after they leave. 3 engines is better than 4 either way you look at it...3 engines that run and pull better than the FOUR you had, or only 3 engines to get running instead of 4...lol

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: 8903

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Mr. Tops wrote:Aha! I was wondering was was doing the work on the east end of the MMRR. Someone on one of the other message boards said that 24 had been doing it all? Is that correct or obviously not? I was unaware that 8905 was in Alma. But yes, I am with you on that one Patrick. I'm willing to bet they won't come back here after they leave. 3 engines is better than 4 either way you look at it...3 engines that run and pull better than the FOUR you had, or only 3 engines to get running instead of 4...lol
Well, the 24 has been powering trains out of GRE's Ann St. yard, not sure what they have based in Greenville right now. They were borrowing the Coopersville & Marne SW9 for a while. I wonder what ever happened to that ex CN SW1200RS?
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Power

SW1200RS 1367 is still in the Greenville engine house. As I understand it, 24 is in GR, holding down GRE, and CMGN 8903 is based in Alma holding down that end of the MMRR. Now 3836 will be coming to Muskegon to assist us and the GP9's will be sent east to get fixed. And as Patrick said, then maybe they'll replace 8903 in Alma. Vee shall see...

C&O6088
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by C&O6088 »

Hey,

I saw the MMR 179 Engine outside the MS Shop on Henry today. Has it been returned and is now working again or is this where it's been stored while it has problems.

C&O

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

179 was moved outside for the weekend so they could put both GP38's in the house while not in use. I haven't been past there today, but it will probably go back inside during the week to get worked on. Also, they ripped the bell off one of the GP9's and put it on MMRR 3836. The GP9's were forced out of service by the FRA. 179's electrical cabinet throws sparks when it pulls hard.

patrick
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by patrick »

also the 8905 is at Alma i think. the 8903 is in bay City or was yesterday at least.

C&O6088
Railroadfan...fan

Re: 179

Unread post by C&O6088 »

Mr. Tops wrote:179 was moved outside for the weekend so they could put both GP38's in the house while not in use. I haven't been past there today, but it will probably go back inside during the week to get worked on. Also, they ripped the bell off one of the GP9's and put it on MMRR 3836. The GP9's were forced out of service by the FRA. 179's electrical cabinet throws sparks when it pulls hard.
Thanks Mr. Tops

C&O

patrick
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by patrick »

what the hell happened to the 3836's bell. it had one when it left bay chitty