New Customer on GLC Northern District.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Re: New Customer on GLC Northern District.

Unread post by David Collins »

SD80MAC wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:39 pm
250 tons per day of scrap works out to 2-3 rail cars per day. Wonder if they have looked at railing it in, or if they can meet their needs with local scrap yards like Beacon in TC trucking it over?
I literally just mentioned it :lol:
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

SD80MAC wrote:
250 tons per day of scrap works out to 2-3 rail cars per day. Wonder if they have looked at railing it in, or if they can meet their needs with local scrap yards like Beacon in TC trucking it over?
From what I read when the project started, the expectation was that nearby scrap dealers would be able to meet demand by truck. The term “nearby” seem to apply to any yard within a one day drive.

The foundry was not built with a provision for rail service. The foundry would probably have been built on the east side of US 131 if rail access had been part of the original design criteria.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

EJIW has a spur off CSX in Sunfield IIRC. Will they use that before investing in a new spur in Elmira?
Standard Railfan wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:48 pm
The foundry was not built with a provision for rail service. The foundry would probably have been built on the east side of US 131 if rail access had been part of the original design criteria.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

David Collins wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:45 pm
SD80MAC wrote:
Mentioned what

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

LansingRailFan wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:31 pm
David Collins wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:45 pm
SD80MAC wrote:
Mentioned what
Believe it or not, my family shares a cottage up north and we are neighbors with the mulpises (the family that owns the EJ) and I asked this past summer what the plan was, I was told they’re attempting to work something out with the GLC, as to what is unknown at this time.

I was going to make this a separate thread but I thought something would come around about this that someone would post and nothing did.

As for AARR’s question, I believe they use scrap metal too.
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k