SMRS

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Re: SMRS

Unread post by Steve B »

I know the public relations department style writing is bland and predictable, but sometimes it's a good option. It's too bad NS, A&B and SMRS don't join forces, relay track and have excursions from Toledo to Clinton. A nice daydream, anyway.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Could the SMRS even survive with the added costs of being connected with the national rail network if the track was relaid, combined with maintaining some form of diamond or interchange track?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

Before I went down and joined up, I had some of the previously stated misconceptions about the group. After signing up and working with the group, I was pleasantly surprised and know the group is moving in the correct direction. Management has improved, and we have a good core group of members working hard to improve the railroad.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

Could the SMRS even survive with the added costs of being connected with the national rail network if the track was relaid, combined with maintaining some form of diamond or interchange track?
Short answer Yes. Many other historical societies and tourist lines do and even co-exist with freight. Although we don't have to follow all of the rules we do follow as many as practical for safety and to ensure the future of our line. Many plans have been formulated over the years to connect with NS if needed. But the one thing that would be needed is a customer. We do have one or two businesses that would ship by rail if we did connect but they do not have the volume of traffic it would take to pay for itself.

If a business such as a grain facility or other large shipper decided to locate in our area and be willing to partner with us this could change things quickly. But alas we have not yet received that phone call from rich Daddy Warbucks who wants to put an ethanol plant in our backyard yet. Consumers is cutting back on coal so that new coal fired electricity plant is not coming either.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

wagnew0923
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by wagnew0923 »

About 8 years ago I noticed that there were grain cars stored on the track connecting to the Adrian and Blissfield. Has this changed? Also take note of the cars that that the SMRS stores on that line along with the numerous driveways long that stretch before you reach the farm. It would be nice to reconnect and the partially torn up east and west tracks are kinda neat to look at to, but lets face it would cost a pretty penny even if it was all done by volunteers.