GDLK Operations

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Re: GDLK Operations

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

WAMX 3534 (GP35m) is at Gearhart right now.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

Caught a (the?) GDLK GP35 headed down to Kilgore Yd late Friday morning. Not sure if they brought anything down but they returned with two boxcars and two loaded center beams. Had lunch at Bell's immediately after that and never saw them come through BO headed to Botsford. Guess they must've had some other work, although I don't know what they would have worked while headed north. Maybe International Paper? There was one railbox boxcar on the siding on the east side of the Upjohn main by the end of Reed St. (I think this is an LC Howard Warehouse). The boxcar wasn't spotted at the building though so I imagine it was headed elsewhere.

There were some cars on the sidings along the CN main south of Kilgore Rd. GTW5942 was at the yard office with a tank car and the caboose...nothing else in the yard.

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

I believe there is only one on the roster, or at least that's what's listed on the Wiki. AFAIK, it hasn't been updated since the arrival of 7030 at the latest.

CN doesn't keep cars in the yard anymore, or at least from what I've seen. Occasionally there are some lumber cars in the very back but it appears they do most of their switching on the main.

EDIT: There is a 3531 on the roster, not 3534. Looks like there are two.

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

There are 2, 3531 and 3534. 3531 is the local unit in GR and 3534 has been there since it arrived. They were using 3531 and 3534 together a couple of weeks ago. Looks like it went to Kzoo to fill in for 7030 which has been outside the shop in GR for the last week or so.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Plannerdad
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Plannerdad »

The sand transload north of Ann S. in GR is not busy yet, only 3 or 4 cars that I can see.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Saw 7030 working the sand transload at 28th Street today.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

GAP
Railroadfan...fan

Grand Elk evening southbound

Unread post by GAP »

Yesterday (Sunday) I heard the Grand Elk return northbound thru Portage around suppertime. Occasionally I've heard this move before to get things cleared up before the new week. Later though, after 10 p.m., I heard something southbound. A friend has told me he has heard this once in a while, too. Last night screens were still open and I listened carefully to make sure it was southbound. I didn't think this was typical but I know someone here can explain this "extra" run. Thanks.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Grand Elk evening southbound

Unread post by PatAzo »

It's not uncommon to see them run 303 to Elkhart on the weekend.

GTW
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Grand Elk evening southbound

Unread post by GTW »

Today I saw #501 working southbound in the late afternoon south of Schoolcraft with GDLK #4002.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

New engine on the Northbound from Elkhart 4209 dead-in-tow. with 111 cars lots of sand cars.

ThreeRiversChris
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ThreeRiversChris »

Super Chief wrote:New engine on the Northbound from Elkhart 4209 dead-in-tow. with 111 cars lots of sand cars.
I'm curious Super Chief how you found this out? Does your radio reach all the way from Florida? :D

Took these at South St. in Schoolcraft.....
IMG_20160428_165731 - Copy (1280x602).jpg
IMG_20160428_165737 - Copy (1280x960).jpg

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Local power for the first and second shift Grand Rapids jobs has been 3531 (facing north) and 7030 (south) for the past week or so.

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Is it just me, or does 4209 look longer than a normal SD40? I showed to a friend of mine and he said it appears to have a longer dynamic brake housing and shorter radiators but it could be photo perspective. Am I just nuts or does anyone else see an irregularity with this unit?

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

At first it looked like a straight SD40 that was upgraded to SD40-2 specs at some point, but upon closer examination, I think this unit began life as an SD45. That rear porch is very short. The flared radiators were removed and replaced with regular SD40 style ones at some point. That would explain the longer dynamic brake blister, too. I'd be interested in learning the history on this engine.

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

SD80MAC wrote:.... I'd be interested in learning the history on this engine.
You, me, and everyone else I've asked about this thing. No one has a clue where 4209 came from. I've been asking on every rail-related site I am a member on in hopes that someone has a general idea, but so far I've gotten nothing.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Googling "WAMX 4209" turns up nothing, so I'm thinking this engine is a brand new repaint and was renumbered. It may have only been recently acquired by Watco. If someone was able to figure out the serial number it would be easy to trace its lineage.

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

SD80MAC wrote:Googling "WAMX 4209" turns up nothing, so I'm thinking this engine is a brand new repaint and was renumbered. It may have only been recently acquired by Watco. If someone was able to figure out the serial number it would be easy to trace its lineage.

Engineer Pat Kinney with GDLK confirmed on Facebook that 4209 is formerly an SD45, but he doesn't have the unit's serial number. I guess that solves one mystery.

ThreeRiversChris
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ThreeRiversChris »

WAMX 4209 started its life with the C&NW as SD45 #914. It was rebuilt to an SD40M-2 and went to the SP as 8575. It then became UP 2651 after the takeover and stayed the same number when NRE bought it. Watco acquired it from NRE, gave it a good paint job and here she is now.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

NSSD70ACe wrote:
SD80MAC wrote:.... I'd be interested in learning the history on this engine.
You, me, and everyone else I've asked about this thing. No one has a clue where 4209 came from. I've been asking on every rail-related site I am a member on in hopes that someone has a general idea, but so far I've gotten nothing.
Parts is parts.... :lol:

GAP
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GAP »

Just saw Grand Elk south bound thru Portage about 4 p.m. Friday (5-6) with 4125, 4189, and 4206 with 103 cars. All shorty sand hoppers at the front. Does that mean that this train started in Grand Rapids? Will it go all the way to Elkhart or just to the siding at Park? The siding from Park to Cowling was completely full last night about 6 o'clock with engines at both ends. When we returned about 9 all the engines were gone and most of the cars.