New Diamond at Durand!?!

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
bnsfben
Railroadfan...fan

New Diamond at Durand!?!

Unread post by bnsfben »

A new diamond at Durand? Does anybody have conformation?
Last edited by bnsfben on Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: New Diamond at Durand!?!

Unread post by SD80MAC »

They've been talking about replacing the diamond ever since I started going there back in 2004, would be nice to see it finally happen. They installed one of those "silent" diamonds at Cedar in Lansing where the NS crosses CN about a year ago, though I believe that one has flangeways cut in both directions.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

leo28150
Deactivated

Unread post by leo28150 »

I like when J is dispatching as he gives you lots of info with what he is doing compared to other dispatchers' :D :D

I would think that CN would keep the speed limits thru town the same account of the curve just west of the diamond; when CN replaced the diamonds at Cedar, while they took the speed restriction on the diamond off,they kept the track speed the same west of there account of the curves.

TrainNut85
Train Chaser

Unread post by TrainNut85 »

From what I'm hearing they are suppose to do it this summer, but its like you said bnsfben, it may or may not happen. I can also agree with you on the quiet zone in Durand, it needs to be abolished. Who doesn't like horns? If you don't like the sound of them, MOVE!

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

.....If they actually replace the diamond this summer.....it's about freaking time! I hope they will fix that "sunken" spot on the east side of the diamond so I don't have't to see CN 148's well cars bottoming-out on the rails again! :shock:
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

chico
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chico »

In the industry these kinds of diamonds are known as "OWLS"

One
Way
Low
Speed

here's a closeup of one, installed on the BNSF near Prairie Du Chein, WI., where the old Q crosses the WSOR ex-Milw line from Madison to the Mississippi:

http://www.heartlandrails.com/photos/pv.asp?pid=587

Saves big $$ on MOW..

Chico
http://www.heartlandrails.com

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I'm always surprised there have not been serious accidents at the Durand crossing. Maybe it's just my eyes playing tricks on me but it seems some of the wheels on the E-W trains get airborn jumping across the diamond :?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Justin
Train Videoholic

Unread post by Justin »

That whole quiet zone cracks me up as well, I always compare this to Fostoria, way more trains and not a quiet zone, and they do not just toot the horns down there either whether day or night, if you have seen my eerie train horn video of the EB NS through there, he does not waste one blast at all, and this guy came through at around midnight. Personally I don't think the quiet zones are too safe as we know how drivers are when it comes to RR Crossings, yes they have signs saying No Train Horn but me I would much rather have the audible warning as well as the visual, trains are much too big to not have adaquate warning.
My train pictures can now be found at:
http://trainman86.rrpicturearchives.net

And my train videos at:
http://www.youtube.com/trainman1986

My website, dedicated to my layout, "The Fast Lane" (still under construction)
www.trainman86.webs.com

jukeman45
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jukeman45 »

:)
Last edited by jukeman45 on Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

:|
Last edited by AARR on Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

bnsfben
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bnsfben »

You guys are right.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Good edit to the original post, bnsfben :)