Plymouth & GR sub-div Work

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
David Collins
Train Paparazzi

Re: Plymouth & GR sub-div Work

Unread post by David Collins »

TSS wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:38 am
Is any tie work happening on the Plymouth, or are all the ties going to the GR sub side?
If my sources are correct, there should be a partial re-timbering happening on the Plymouth subdivision sometime this year.
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

Snapchat: daveeed1k

Andy24
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Andy24 »

TSS wrote:
Is any tie work happening on the Plymouth, or are all the ties going to the GR sub side?
I believe there are some ties heading to a business in Livingston. M327 has been dropping off loaded cars with ties there recently
Average railfan reporter on Grand Rapids Sub, Plymouth Sub, and Area Short Lines Railroads.

Follow my channel for more: https://www.youtube.com/@ATARP24

TSS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TSS »

Andy24 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:16 pm
TSS wrote:
I believe there are some ties heading to a business in Livingston. M327 has been dropping off loaded cars with ties there recently
Lots of ties spread out on the line from St. Joe bridge to well south of Livingston. M327 set out tie cars in Michigan City today. They’ve dumped ballast from the Saugatuck Hill area to well south of St. Joe. So the project is quite significant on the GR sub. Was curious if the same is happening on the Plymouth.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Ties were distributed along the ROW today in Michigan City.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Andy24
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Andy24 »

W085-14 (Loaded Ballast Train) set to dump ballast from mp 44 to all the way Grandville mp 6.0 today
Average railfan reporter on Grand Rapids Sub, Plymouth Sub, and Area Short Lines Railroads.

Follow my channel for more: https://www.youtube.com/@ATARP24

TSBy390
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TSBy390 »

In a local group on Facebook many people were posting about isbell bridge and how they wish it could be fixed up. Made me think, with all the work they're doing on the Plymouth sub when they reach Howell will they finally take down Isbell bridge? I know at one point CSX wanted to take the bridge down. When the time comes a lot of people will definitely be bummed out, even non train people it seems.

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

there is the (historical)issue of pedestrian access.
mdot removed the original pedestrian bridge across I-696 to harrison high school and had no plans to replace it.
the replacement bridge lives on while the high school closed and is now a community center.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Looks like the searchlights in Webberville have been removed, I didn’t see them when I was there on Monday. Anyone know if any other signals east of Lansing have come down?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

kd_1014
Mike

Unread post by kd_1014 »

MQT1223 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2024 8:26 pm
Looks like the searchlights in Webberville have been removed, I didn’t see them when I was there on Monday. Anyone know if any other signals east of Lansing have come down?
Zimmer and Williamston were still there untouched when I was there Monday. I thought the current project was just between Trowbridge and Williamston?

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

kd_1014 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2024 9:27 pm
MQT1223 wrote:
Zimmer and Williamston were still there untouched when I was there Monday. I thought the current project was just between Trowbridge and Williamston?
I might’ve just not seen them, but that’s why I was looking for confirmation
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

pudgy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pudgy »

As of now, no signals have been removed. Current slice of action will see Trowbridge to EE Williamston redone sometime in the near future. New locations for signals by CH 76.4 and CH 80.0 for the apparent 2 intermediates between the sidings.
Just a Fat Guy

pudgy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pudgy »

Also, ties have begun to be set out on the Plymouth Sub between Howell and Williamston, including the siding at Fowlerville. Empty tie Gons spotted at the EE of Williamston siding, Brandt truck and tie handler were parked in the old Williamston house track by the west end.
Just a Fat Guy

Big T
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Big T »

pudgy wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2024 9:15 am
As of now, no signals have been removed. Current slice of action will see Trowbridge to EE Williamston redone sometime in the near future. New locations for signals by CH 76.4 and CH 80.0 for the apparent 2 intermediates between the sidings.
So where is CH 76.4? Between Meridian and Burkley Rds?

bluewonderrails
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bluewonderrails »

Big T wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:37 pm
pudgy wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2024 9:15 am
So where is CH 76.4? Between Meridian and Burkley Rds?
It's basically Burkley Rd itself. 76.42 (crossing plaque) / 76.43 (bungalow)
Casual railfan who frequents the CN Flint + CSX Plymouth subs

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

And as I have been informed by an employee, the tie gang will work nights from 11 to 7ish. Thusly no trains effected very much. All subject to the vagaries of railroad logic though.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

pudgy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pudgy »

Track gang will unload and start working tonight east from Williamston siding.
Just a Fat Guy

The Barefoot Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by The Barefoot Railfan »

Fowlerville siding out of service do to MoW repairing a rail.
The railfan who is barefoot

TSS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TSS »

The Coast Guard has this item in the Local Notice to Mariners:

From July 8 through August 16, 2024, between the hours of 0600 and 1800, Monday through Saturday, a 50-foot by 80-foot barge will be performing maintenance to the CSX Railroad Bridge at mile 0.67 over the Saint Joseph River. The barge will move to accommodate vessel traffic if a 2-hour advance notice is provided directly to the barge on VHF-FM Marine Channel 16

I haven’t been listening to the scanner today, so I don’t know if said barge has begun work. That’s a long period of work, so it will be interesting to see what they are undertaking.
IMG_0113.jpeg

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Getting the bridge ready to remote it.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

amessmann
Signal Maintainer

Unread post by amessmann »

MQT1223 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2024 6:45 pm
kd_1014 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2024 9:27 pm
MQT1223 wrote:
I might’ve just not seen them, but that’s why I was looking for confirmation
As of June 24th the signals at CH 67 (which I believe are the signals that crews call as "Webberville") are still standing, I will include a picture below. Earlier this year, I had asked about the next set west, and was told they had been the newer Safetran "vader" style for a few years now.
While I was out there (this was when W084-19 made its westward trip) I could see red and orange spray-painted markings denoting the wire placements between and nearby the tracks. I will include a picture of those as well.
Currently, severe flooding has affected the MSU campus, lots of videos going around in my circles. From what I can see the worst of it is near the Frandor area which seems to have a similar elevation to the area around the Trowbridge diamond.
Considering the local (to Brighton) CSX signaling system does not like the rain, I wonder how this will affect the system, or even if it could warrant the replacement of the Trowbridge area searchlights.
As of 22:20 07/09, CN is lining trains thru Trowbridge, with even the Okemos-Trowbridge "dead zone" working on ATCS.
Attachments
Searchlights at CH 67 (Elm Rd.) on 06/24/2024
Searchlights at CH 67 (Elm Rd.) on 06/24/2024
Spray-painted markings denoting wire placements near the ties at Webberville Rd. CH 68.43*
Spray-painted markings denoting wire placements near the ties at Webberville Rd. CH 68.43*