The Fate Of the CSX Lansing Sub, and CSX in MI

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

The Fate Of the CSX Lansing Sub, and CSX in MI

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Ok, CP's pretty much gone, we're down to 5 trains aday, the yard is quiet, and nothing moves on the weekends! Is this the end? Everyone appears to be trying to pull the plug on the Amtrak Pere Marquette, too. Plus CSX is slowly leasing off the lines. Is this the end for CSX in Michigan?
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Does no one know? :(

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Every rumor is just as good as the next. No one knows for sure because no public decision has been made, and the rumor mill continues to manufacture outbound loads (ha ha). Some think CSX will be gone from Michigan entirely. Others think they'll only retain Detroit-Plymouth-Toledo. Still the NS service for CP seems to be nothing short of dreadful, so maybe the CP will come back to the CSX again. Who knows!

MMRR-24
Shortline Fan

Unread post by MMRR-24 »

Is this the end for CSX in Michigan?
I think it will be soon for there is nothing hardly to haul anymore here. Always more plants shutting down and no new ones are opening.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Anyone? Doktor No, have you heard anything or know any information on this?

Railzfan
SpecialDuty

Unread post by Railzfan »

I hate Michigan, no trains, no industry, absolutely nothing good anymore. Everything is either gone or closing down. CSX and Amtrak are going down the toilet and I really don’t blame CSX for wanting to leave, what’s here for them? I think that CP pulling out of Michigan and from CSX is just a long-term strategy to pull from the state completely, and I think this goes for all the railroads here. :cry:

Only if CSX could be as big and prosperous here as it is in the South! :cry: :cry: :cry:
~Andrew Kersting

Website - Rocky Mountain Custom Models

Long Live the Denver & Rio Grande Western!

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

CSX

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

While CSX may be leaving, there are still just as many trains (except the CP's). CSX still gets about 30 cars per night on average from MMRR in Holland and probably about the same from MQT in Wyoming. Plenty of local business in the Holland area and Grand Rapids, Lansing and so on. Just because CSX is ridding itself of some lines doesn't mean railroading in Michigan is leaving. Same trains, just different railroad. The CP trains never were representing Michigan business...they're just running through. They still run through Michigan..just somewhere else for a shorter distance. CSX is starting to utilize the line somewhat with the coke trains 356 and 357 and new ones 351 and 352. Plenty of grain and coal too, on top of locals and regular freights. When warm weather returns, so will the stone trains. Still pretty intersting, you just have to know where the action is!