BO (Botsford) Tower Demolition

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Hogger1225
Railroadfan...fan

Re: BO (Botsford) Tower Demolition

Unread post by Hogger1225 »

Speaking of Calvin (Humphreys), one of his more favorite stunts when he wasn't busy was to open the OS at Parma, the microphone was hung under the eve on the phone booth, key up the dispatcher's radio when the train would be blowing for the crossing at Parma and you would literally hear yourself go by the crossing. He was doing that one night with me and every time he keyed up the radio I would let up on the horn. All you heard that night was a series of short toots instead of the standard 2 longs, a short, and a long.
I used to get paid for doing what all of you like to watch!

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

GAP wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:27 am
Once when a northbound NS was approaching KAL and Amtrak was already at the depot the tower operator told the NS to "ease it on down" knowing that Amtrak would be gone by the time the freight got to downtown. After the Amtrak had left, the tower instructed "ease it on down a little more." I'm still confused if that meant go faster or go slower.
Hey GAP, great to see your post on here. I learned so much about BO and all the lines radiating out from it during my early days at WMU from you and our frequent chats at the library! Thank you for that!

I also recall the “ease it on down” statement over the radio and took that to mean “take it nice and easy (slow)”

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

PatAzo wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:47 pm
Some of the Conrail old-heads running Amtrak trains would crack the whip west of Kalamazoo. That is until they caught Bernie Potts go through Lawton at 100+MPH.

The Decatur Police Department called BO threatening to start writing tickets if trains didn't slow down. Bill Pontius replied "Well if you can catch one go ahead" and started laughing. He said he got a call from the train master a few days later about being more polite when answering the city phone.
AH, another member of the "Century Club". Worked with a few of them out of DETROIT.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Ben Higdon wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:24 pm
I always appreciated Bob Biddle answering calls as "B.O. in the tower" or "Bo Tower".
Last edited by PatAzo on Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

Those notes on unique operations at Botsford are very interesting! I'd love to hear more.
I never got past the door with Bob Biddle. I got to know Al Johnson the best, I miss shooting the breeze with him up there. I bought a set of golf clubs from him one time, and passed up other buying opportunities, and he would buy a copy of my train magazine when I had a new issue. One story of his I remember was when a derail on the CK&S for the main line crossing was frozen and he couldn't get it to open using the armstrong lever. Al was a big guy, and thought it was funny when the GTW sent a skinny guy up there to try throwing the lever.
First time I met Al, it was dark out when I walked up and knocked on the door. I could see him through the window walking up to the door with a wooden club in his hand - scared the crap out of me! It was a sketchy area down there.

GTW Dude
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTW Dude »

Just by chance i happened to be searching for something completely different and stumbled across this photo. It shows the 1941 NYC Mercury in Kalamazoo with both the BO tower barely visible in the far right and another tower. I believe there were 2 towers in Kalamazoo correct? Disclaimer: NOT MY PHOTO

Description of Photo: N.Y.C. (M.C.) #5445 4-6-4 (Mercury Train) Kalamazoo, Michigan - Photo taken July 4, 1941 of locomotive in front of Coke sign.

Link: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/338192253239512716/
Attachments
BO Tower.jpg

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

GTW Dude wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:22 pm
Just by chance i happened to be searching for something completely different and stumbled across this photo. It shows the 1941 NYC Mercury in Kalamazoo with both the BO tower barely visible in the far right and another tower. I believe there were 2 towers in Kalamazoo correct? Disclaimer: NOT MY PHOTO

Description of Photo: N.Y.C. (M.C.) #5445 4-6-4 (Mercury Train) Kalamazoo, Michigan - Photo taken July 4, 1941 of locomotive in front of Coke sign.

Nice find!

The was another tower called Tower 1 (IIRC) located where the NYC crossed the PRR west of BO.

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

PatAzo wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:43 pm
The summer I rode around with the yard job the conductor was Carl Edoff and brakeman was Gary Waskiewicz both ex-PRR guys from Grand Rapids. The engineer was usually either R.C. Moore or Art Lusher. R.C was an NYC guy from Jackson I think. Art was from Elkhart.
Would you mind sharing what you remember about your ride on the yard job? What customers were worked, etc?

Thats a great photo of the Mercury, I haven't see that one.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Standard Railfan wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:53 am
GTW Dude wrote:

Nice find!

The was another tower called Tower 1 (IIRC) located where the NYC crossed the PRR west of BO.
Tower 1 is preserved at the Gilmore Car Museum.

Can't say I've seen a photo of a Dreyfuss Hudson in Kalamazoo before.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

MQT1223 wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:09 pm

The Detroit-Chicago Mercury ran quite frequently with Dreyfuss Hudsons, in addition to the non-streamlined ones. It's relatively quick turnaround time and short route meant that the Hudson's assigned to the 20th Century Limited could run a train from Chicago to Detroit and back relatively quickly, then take an eastbound 20th Century back to New York.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

MQT1223 wrote:
Standard Railfan wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:53 am
GTW Dude wrote:

Nice find!

The tower at the Gilmore museum is a crossing tower, I think Church St. Definitely not Tower 1.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

MQT1223 wrote:
This video says the tower at the car museum was a crossing tower at Church St. west of the depot. From the photos they are different towers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWHBt0mzImI&t=109s

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

Ben Higdon wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:24 pm

The tower at the Gilmore museum is a crossing tower, I think Church St. Definitely not Tower 1.
https://goo.gl/maps/TQ1Zf1KgcRXBwgjz5

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Ben Higdon wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:15 am
PatAzo wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:43 pm
, etc? 5 g6

G 6
Last edited by PatAzo on Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Very interesting, thanks for the details! What time frame was this?
Why was ELGR/GREL forbidden to work South Yard? The only time I saw South Yard used for anything but storage was one night when GREL picked up something like 18 cars. I heard it on the scanner and drove down there to watch at Cork St. I think I would have noticed if they were storage cars - I never did hear why they did it.
They must have changed the union rules about not working yards in the same city at some point, as in the mid 90s ELLA took the GTW cars straight through Kalamazoo, and ELDW always had a Battle Creek setout at the head end. For a time there was an ELBC/BCEL that handled the traffic, pretty sure it operated directly into the GTW Battle Creek Yard. Maybe they got out of the union rule by delivering directly to the GTW.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

This was the early 80's.

South Yardgg friend. The last time I saw him he was working an ELBC/BCEL. He saw me at Schoolcraft and waved for me to follow. At Botsford he said they were turning at Battle Creek and I could ride with them to Elkhart. They went into Nichols to drop their cars and ran light back to Botsford, picked up and headed to Elkhart. Two BN SD40-2 and a CR B23-7.
Last edited by PatAzo on Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Love it - thanks for sharing those stories! I have some train movement sheets from BO in 1982, it sure was busier then with the yard crews, although when I was watching in the early/mid 90s the road freights were more consistent/frequent with 8 per day.
On the handful of times I was at BO to watch LAEL make their pickup around midnight or 1am, it was pretty neat to see a road train passing the tower as they pulled their pickup out of the yard.
The 1982 train sheets show GREL regularly heading into Botsford Yard. I assume they were making a pickup, as when leaving the yard they're noted as "pulling", but I suppose they may have been setting out GM cars to head east the next day. Also not sure where they left their train, I would think the rest of the train for Elkhart would have had to be left north of Patterson St.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

That's a curiosity. They missed having the pick ups ready a few times an left them for the next day. I asked about GREL and Bruce said it wasn't possible. Never say never.
Last edited by PatAzo on Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

PatAzo wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:56 pm
That's a curiosity. They missed having the pick ups ready a few times an left them for the next day. I asked about GREL and Bruce said it wasn't possible. Never say never.

There were a pair of B36-7's there one day on the old round house lead. Someone from the power desk called ticked that they were at Botsford and were supposed to have left already. Bruce said he'd leave a note for the day job to move them to be picked up. The guy from Philly said he wanted them moved today. Bruce apologized and said there was no yard crew to move them off the engine house lead DREL was already gone so there was no train to pick them up. But he'd leave a note for the day job. The guy from Philly said he didn't want any BS excuses he wanted those units moving to Elkhart TODAY. Bruce got ticked and said he'd move them off the house himself. He'd tie a brake shoe to the whistle valve, set them about 4th notch and let them go. He said "Call Elkhart and tell them they'll see them in about an hour." Then he hung up. The phone rang right away. The guy from Philly said tomorrow would be o.k.
Haha - nice!

Here are the train sheets for 9/14/82

Did you ever seen a yard job work the South Haven industrial? By the looks of the train sheets I have from September 1982, they maybe ran out there once every week or two.

Image270356864_10158701248568277_3105933047624852656_n by Ben Higdon, on Flickr

Image266743344_10158701248698277_7727819572680261991_n by Ben Higdon, on Flickr

Image268383674_10158701248718277_8031742882498371176_n by Ben Higdon, on Flickr

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Those are interesting sheets. GREL was in Botsford for an hour. I remember the track being there but never saw anything move out the South Haven industrial. There is a move onto the South haven on these sheets.