CSX's Plymouth Subdivision

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: CSX's Plymouth Subdivision

Unread post by SD80MAC »

At one point, I believe shortly after the Conrail merger, CSX had looked at connecting the GR Sub and Porter Branch seriously enough that they had engineering draw up plans for it. The plan required the GR Sub to curve more to the south starting at Locust St, tying in to the Chicago Line right at 8th St. A set of crossovers would have been installed/moved to facilitate trains crossing all the way over between the two. The plan would've required the demolition and or relocation of a few homes and businesses. Obviously, that never went beyond the blueprint phase.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

BRIDGE IT! Too much money but possible. Then you rely on no one but CSX who doesn't even run anything that I know of on that sub. NS does very little. Do the switches but then you still have NS to rely on.
If and when CP gets the KCS things could change. Always been my contention to do this and then throw in a connection at Willow Spring in the NW quadrant and run 326/327 that way too. Less NS all the way around.
GET VACCINATED!

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

Doktor No wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:15 pm
BRIDGE IT! Too much money but possible. Then you rely on no one but CSX who doesn't even run anything that I know of on that sub. NS does very little. Do the switches but then you still have NS to rely on.
If and when CP gets the KCS things could change. Always been my contention to do this and then throw in a connection at Willow Spring in the NW quadrant and run 326/327 that way too. Less NS all the way around.
South of Willow Creek, CSX runs traffic to and from the IHB on the Porter Branch. Q352, X200, along with coal and pet coke trains. North of Willow Creek, just Y129 that serves the steel plant on 149, along with a few NS trains.

AndrewsTrains
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AndrewsTrains »

i did not see this here, CP/csx would need PTC on the line costing millions as well, so there is a possible confliction
as we say on the garret sub for csx q003 and q004 clearin a signal Highball
Or on the plymouth Clear 49

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

I'm sure CP has been offered the line a few times - and their lack of response says all one needs to know.
Typhoon wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:20 pm
The CP was offered the line a couple of years ago. They had no interest in it, however the talks did result in the haulage trains Q166/Q165. Long story short, it is a railfan fantasy.

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

It is going to happen soon I bet. I am right next door pretty much to the line here in Livonia/Plymouth area. I have lived here for 12 years and I have never seen much other than storage near Beck Road. Aka you are lucky to catch more than one CSX train on the Plymouth sub in Lansing. :P I am willing to bet my money CSX is going to sell the line to CP sooner than later. Probably when I leave for college in 2023, I can see CP overtaking the mainline. Once CP finishes the Detroit River tunnel to accommodate double stacks and they bring back 142/143, CP will definitely want their line in Michigan and the Norfolk Southern trackage rights agreement has run out but they are only allowing them to run via the Wabash until a deal works out. Keith Creel is about growth these days. I totally see it happening within 2-3 years from now or maybe sooner.