Progress of the Michigan Line M/W (part 4)

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
GTW
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Progress of the Michigan Line M/W (part 4)

Unread post by GTW »

Would anyone know what will happen when the work on the Michigan Line is finished if the dispatching will still be in Chicago. And when the new engines and cars arrive if they ever get built will they have a Michigan base for this equipment.

Thanks...

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

I have heard that the dispatcher will be handed over to Amtrak in 2018.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

GTW wrote:Would anyone know what will happen when the work on the Michigan Line is finished if the dispatching will still be in Chicago. And when the new engines and cars arrive if they ever get built will they have a Michigan base for this equipment.

Thanks...

From my understanding, the Chargers will be completed on time. The first ones are due to go to IDOT or WSDOT ownership (according to two different sources.) Last I heard, there are or were a couple at Pueblo for testing.

The new bilevels are a different story. Because of the failed compression test that sent Nippon-Sharyo back to the drawing board, there is a very good chance that the money will revert back to Washington and we won't be seeing the new cars unless the state DOTs find another company, N-S gets their head out of their collective behinds, or Congress extends the limit for the funding.

What I would like to know is why N-S tried (from my understanding) to do a new design instead of adapting the already successful designs used with CalTrain, Metra, and VRE. It can't be that hard to reconfigure the interior for corridor service and design the trucks for 125mph service. Did DOT want an entirely new design? If that's the case, then the question changes to why don't the DOTs meet up and discuss options for reconfiguring an already successful car for corridor service.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

MiddleMI
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiddleMI »

Wait, are these the Talgos, or am I months (years) out of the loop on what's going on with those? I know last August the state legislature tried to slow down the deal, but hadn't heard anything sense.

CR900945
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CR900945 »

Ypsi Update - "New" siding at Ypsi tonight contained an orange Navigator Shuttlewagon trackmobile coupled to four Amtrak ballast cars, as well as a tamper and ballast regulator. Speculation from a crew member the other day suggested they may connect this siding with the segment across Forest Avenue. There is a newly welded panel track section possibly for the crossing. Curve between Prospect overpass and River Street may have elevation increased with the permanent closure of crossings at Park and Grove Streets. Crossing signals and gates at these two crossings are gone.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

The specifically removed the switch from across forest ave as well as the tracks over forest last year.. That seems like it would be a weird arrangement. Attached is a photo of the stuffs from when they were working at around 3:30
Attachments
image.jpg
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Wow that is one biiiiigggg shuttlewagon. Never seen one like that.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

SousaKerry wrote:Wow that is one biiiiigggg shuttlewagon. Never seen one like that.
PVS Tech has one like it. On the Terminal East track ( Conrail ) at Harper .

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Rumor mill appears to be at it again, this time involving BO.

According to the rumor, the tower is due to close in 45 days and the operators have been notified. Last I heard, it was due to close in 2017 because of MoW setbacks or something along those lines. I assume this to still be the case?

Original post is in the "Amtrak Michigan Line" FB group.

-NS

:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

FOr those keeping track, that would put this rumor in the October 25th-26th range

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

The long-established plan was to close BO Tower at the same time as all dispatching was transferred to the Amtrak dispatching office. This was to save having to convert BO tower to NS Dearborn and in general mush things up that could wait.

Maybe something changed. But I'm inclined to be skeptical at this point...especially given a Facebook post by a less than well-known source.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Waddy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Waddy »

He works for NS.

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JStryker722 »

Im the original Admin for the Amtrak Michigan Line group on fb and this morning I saw this comment following my own.
Im the original Admin for the Amtrak Michigan Line group on fb and this morning I saw this comment following my own.
My Wife says my first love is trains..anint that the truth! Lol :D

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

If the information holds true, Would that put the last train by the manned tower on the 19th or 20th? My assumption would be that it closes on midnight after the 20th based on how things seem to be handled but I know it could go anyway

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

This morning in Jackson they were replacing the crossover West of Jackson Station. Sorry no pics I was on my way to work after a Dr. Appointment. Looked to be a contractor doing the work with Amtrak people looking on. The Shuttlewagon was standing by with ballast hoppers and 2 MOW flat cars. Not sure if they were doing the Jail switch as well as the crossover.

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JStryker722 »

Ypsi wrote:If the information holds true, Would that put the last train by the manned tower on the 19th or 20th? My assumption would be that it closes on midnight after the 20th based on how things seem to be handled but I know it could go anyway
My assumption would be 11:59pm on the 20th myself.
My Wife says my first love is trains..anint that the truth! Lol :D

CR900945
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CR900945 »

According to Amtrak's website, the curtailed train schedules to accommodate maintenance of way activities will continue through October 30th. This means no #350 or #353 except on Sundays. Also, #351 will still continue to run on its earlier time and #355 will run on its later time. #358 will run in place of #352. Hopefully, the full complement of regular trains will run again on October 31st, (Halloween.) Do not look for any reroutes of 48/49 before that date.

twropr
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by twropr »

What kind of work is taking place this month? Anything east of Jackson yet?
Is any specialized equipment, such as a TLM, being used?
Is the railroad out of service continuously when work is taking place on single track, or do the M/W crews temporarily back off to allow a scheduled train to pass thru the work area?
Has BO Tower been closed?
Thanks!
Andy
Jacksonville, FL

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

BO Tower has about a week left.

Track work is not by one of those machines, since the work is mostly re-engineering curves. Sounds like RailWorks has been the primary contractor. They've been working to re-align curves, changing radius in some places and superelevation all over the place. Plus general trackwork, new signals and crossing equipment.

It's busy, but quiet. I forgot the stats, but they've done an absolute ton of work this year.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

Amtrak allows large work Windows west of Jackson from about 8am-9am to 9pm. There are no Amtrak trains scheduled to be in Jackson form those times during the week.