CSX Trackage rights on the CN?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

CSX Trackage rights on the CN?

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Hello all,

I found this picture of the CSX system on Facebook (actually, on the official CSX page), and I noticed something odd. In Michigan, specifically central Michigan, there's a dotted route that goes SW/NE. Now, I swear that that's the same general location as the CN South Bend and Flint(?) subs. Does CSX have trackage rights over these routes? Are they ever exercised?

Thanks,

-NS

:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: CSX Trackage rights on the CN?

Unread post by Saturnalia »

CSX has trackage rights on the CN from Flint (Kearsley) to Port Huron, to access their PH&D assets.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

GTW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTW »

I did see today that CSX filed for trackage rights between Wellsboro and Munster, Ind. over the CN former "GTW"

CR900945
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CR900945 »

In addition to the former PH&D, CSX has traffic (mostly chemical) in and south of Sarnia, Ontario.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Does the Sarnia traffic still go south then through the Detroit Tunnel to Rougemere?
CR900945 wrote:In addition to the former PH&D, CSX has traffic (mostly chemical) in and south of Sarnia, Ontario.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

CR900945
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CR900945 »

Sarnia traffic goes through the Sarnia-Port Huron tunnel and then west to Flint. The CSX route in Canada is a dead end line. It no longer goes as far as Chatham.

Mike H
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mike H »

The Sarnia traffic does cross at Port Huron, but it does not go anywhere near Flint.

Mike H

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

Mike H wrote:The Sarnia traffic does cross at Port Huron, but it does not go anywhere near Flint.

Mike H
Where does it go, then? Are you saying that only the PHD traffic goes to Flint? Seems odd CSX would short-haul itself by handing anything over to CN at Port Huron.

KenB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KenB »

CSXT Traffic from Sarnia goes to Toledo on the CNR. I think this is under a haulage agreement. Pt. Huron traffic moves via C&O to Flint than down to Toledo.

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

OK, thanks. Always interesting how routings are carefully split up based on the best deal for everything.

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

The person that drew this map is the same person that routes traffic for Bear Truss in St. Louis via Elmdale from GRP. Also routes CSS&SB traffic for Burns Harbor for a Michigan City setout. Also routes well drilling rig mud from Gillette, Wyoming to Mt. Pleasent thru Elmdale too.
No longer amazed, just amused.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Robertrains »

Robert Jackson (Extreme Railfan/Bluewater and Michigan Transit Museum member)

http://cooltrains.rrpicturearchives.net/

MiddleMI
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiddleMI »

Thanks for that. It's weird they wouldn't update (or get rid of) the first one, particularly since it's the one you're most likely to see on their site.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

KenB wrote:CSXT Traffic from Sarnia goes to Toledo on the CNR. I think this is under a haulage agreement. Pt. Huron traffic moves via C&O to Flint than down to Toledo.
Thank you for clarifying, KenB. Oddly, there is occasional interchange between CSX and CN in Port Huron, but it seems to be a car here and there, not an entire train at a time.
~ Charles W.